Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
aarailfan

M.O.C. #26850
LCI Ground Control 3.0 problems

So I've got the LCI Ground Control 3.0 system with electric jacks on my 2014 305RL fiver. Starting this past weekend, I went to hook up to the truck and it wouldn't raise the camper. I had to manually crank it to get it on the truck. It then retracted the front jacks most of the way.

I come home and park it and hit autolevel and it throws an out of stroke error. None of the jacks were extended more than 6", so I'm not sure what happened. I go to hook it up to the truck and reset it, but the front right jack wouldn't operate.

I reset the system, homed the jacks, tried again, same symptoms. As a test, I swapped the two front jacks on the control board and now the front right jack worked. Any ideas on what to do next to troubleshoot things?

Thanks!

David

aarailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Give Lippert a call. They are usually very helpful.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
Patrickdoran
Established Member

M.O.C. #26161
Here is a link to their manual. Hope this helps.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001746.pdf
Old 08-25-2020, 07:09 AM   #4
aarailfan

M.O.C. #26850
Follow up on my original post:

I did call Lippert and found them very helpful. The person I spoke with asked if I was connected to shore power when using the system, and I usually am. He told me that this can sometimes cause problems because it falsely reports the battery voltage and then the available power drops quickly. I did confirm that my battery was weak and decided to replace it before troubleshooting further. The new battery did not fix the problem.

Lippert then went over some things with me and based on what I told them thought it was likely that the main controller had failed. I decided as an additional troubleshooting item to swap the front jack motors. After swapping and testing it again, the problem continued to be the front right jack, so I decided to replace the main controller.

I found the part from a variety of sources, but the part visually looked different. To be safe I decided to order it direct from LCI, both because I thought it safest and because they could deliver it in 3 days and the lower priced places were saying 2 weeks for delivery.

When I got the part from LCI, it was a different looking part, so another call to confirm that the 4 point controller had been reengineered and that both types were the same. I swapped it out, which wasn't too difficult, and started the system up. Set the zero point control, home the jacks, and run a few autolevel tests. So far it seems to be working correctly.

Hopefully, things continue to work as expected.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:39 PM   #5
aarailfan

M.O.C. #26850
Fixed - final update

After replacing the controller and a few times leveling it with no issues in storage, the first time I set up in a campground it immediately started having problems, especially with campsites that sloped down towards the rear of the RV. The new controller was giving a "RF Jack Error" as soon as I would start the auto level sequence. I was able to manually level the camper but was concerned about future failures, especially after reading about people having their jack suddenly collapse. (See this thread: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...sue-66739.html)

I decided to order new jacks for both sides since the motors seemed fine. You may have to search around for this as I had trouble locating the correct part for just the jacks without the motors. I was able to find them at etrailer.com and they arrived a few days later.

Installation is pretty simple:
  1. Support the front of the RV, either by hooking it up to the truck or supporting it with jacks/jack stands
  2. Remove and set aside the propane tank to access the jack
  3. Remove the motors from the top of the RV jacks by unplugging the 2 harness connectors, removing the 2 attaching bolts, then lifting off the motor.
  4. Remove the landing pad by pulling the pin
  5. Remove the 2 bolts clamping the jacks to the frame
  6. Carefully lift the jacks out of the camper
  7. Remove the bolts holding the extension pin in place, then remove the pin
  8. Reverse the instructions to reassemble with the new jacks.

When I compared the new vs. the old jacks, it took very little effort to turn the knob by hand on the new jacks. I could with much effort turn the knob by hand on the old LF jack, but even with pliers I couldn't turn the RF jack.

Replacement of both jacks took me less than an hour and the leveling system will now auto level the RV every time without sounding like it's working so hard. Hopefully these jacks last me at least the 6 years that the old ones did.