Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Wheel Bearing Over Lube - Whodunit?

I was at Costco this AM getting my new Bridgestone Duravis 250's installed when I decided to check to see if the wheels would lock when I moved my brake controller lever to full left ( the brakes weren't functioning like I thought they should) .... BOTH tires on the front axle could be turned by hand. Upon closer inspection, there was grease on the inside of the backing plate on each wheel that could be turned by hand ... it was obvious, the rear seal had been blown from over lubing. The unit is under 1 year old with less than 1000 miles on it and I have yet to put a grease gun to the axles so I KNOW it wasn't me. My rig is at Camping World now getting a bearing repack and brake inspection (possible pad replacement) because of a dealer over lube during their "dealer prep" . The dealer that I purchased the unit from is about 100 miles from my home. I have been advised by my LOCAL dealer to return the unit to where I purchased it and have them do the work (Keystone 150 mile rule?) . Yeah, right. They jacked it up the 1st time and I'm going to take it BACK to them???? NOT! It would cost me 2 days pay to get the rig to them (a day to drop it off and a day to pick it up).
So .... I'm paying (this makes me ill) Camping World to make it right.
I guess I'm just venting here. I wonder what it's like to have a dealership with competent technicians? $50k + for a rig and they can't even lube the bearings correctly ... as Bugs Bunny would say "What a bunch of Maroons!"

Additional thoughts: Others have mentioned that Dexter had over lubed their axles and that was the way it arrived at the dealership. I really hadn't considered that possibility. I will be calling Dexter in the AM. Even if true, it still does not relieve the dealership of the responsibility of ensuring that the coach rolls off their lot with the PDI done correctly (they charge for this as you may recall) and all brakes working. (Can you say ... MAJOR safety issue?)

CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Never heard of the Keystone 150 mile rule. Keystone Service told me we could take ours to any Keystone Dealer even if they did not sell Montanas.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Local dealer told me Keystone would not pay him for a warranty repair if the selling dealer is within 150 miles of my location. I had never heard of this either but the end result is that that the dealer closest to me refuses to do the work under warranty or customer satisfaction. Sheesh!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

Never heard of the Keystone 150 mile rule. Keystone Service told me we could take ours to any Keystone Dealer even if they did not sell Montanas.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I understand your frustration. First Monday I would call montana customer service. If no satisfaction there , I'd call the axle mfr., most likely Dexter axle. Good luck, Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Jay,
Camping World in the Springs told me they would do warranty work on the Monty. You might check into this with them.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #6
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thanks Joe,
I'll check to see if they will cover it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jolu

Jay,
Camping World in the Springs told me they would do warranty work on the Monty. You might check into this with them.
Joe
Old 01-09-2011, 01:26 AM   #7
rnap50
Established Member

M.O.C. #4870
It may not be the dealer that had did it my brother in law got a new 2010 had the same problem and found out when having another thing look at. The dealer there told him it was the third one he had seen so far and it was being done at the axle company.
rnap50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #8
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Agree, we should have every expectation of our rigs being maintained properly by techs/mechanics who are supposed to be certified.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 06:47 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My 06 was over lubed from the factory. We had no brakes on 3 of the 4 wheels. Dexter paid for replacement.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:29 PM   #10
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
I had this problem several years ago on my SOB. I will never use those Zerks fittings to lub my bearings. In fact, I plan to remove them and install plugs so some tech won't do it behind my back.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I decided to contact Dexter this AM in part from Rich's experience and they contacted Campers World to examine each wheel. Turns out ALL FOUR wheels brakes were contaminated!! Much to Dexters credit, they are sending replacement parts to Campers World in Fountain, Colorado and will be picking up the tab for the entire issue. Kudos to Campers World in Fountain for being an active partner in resolving this dangerous issue. Now I'll actually have brakes on the Monty!!
This is another fine example of MOC members helping other members. Thanks a million everyone!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #12
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Guys... while taking delivery of my Monte should I have the dealership double check this for me? And do you think they will give me a hard time about it?
Old 01-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Can't hurt to ask. I too had to have one brake assembly replaced because of grease and as far as I know, it came from the Factory that way. Either Keystone (probably not) or Dexter (most likely) were responsible. Dexter covered mine since I was just out of the Keystone 1 Year.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I would definitely ask them to pull the wheels and check. It's a 1/2 hour task. If they are a responsible dealer they will want to ensure they are providing the best product possible AND keep their customer safe. If they balk at this my 1st question would be WHY? Best of luck on your new Monty! Enjoy!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ren

Guys... while taking delivery of my Monte should I have the dealership double check this for me? And do you think they will give me a hard time about it?
Old 01-12-2011, 03:49 AM   #15
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
Why would the dealer be packing the wheel bearings during the predelivery inspection?? The bearing would be packed at that the assambly line, not after delivering it to the selling dealer. They are going to drive these units across country to the dealer before packing the bearings!!! Ya Dexter or whoever the subcontractor was overlubed them.
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
You have a point .. maybe they didn't... whatever happened, it was delivered that way to me and it is the selling dealers responsibility to deliver a safe, functional product to the end purchaser. My dealer failed to do so sending me down the road with contaminated brakes. Makes me madder than I can express on a family forum.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blarkman

Why would the dealer be packing the wheel bearings during the predelivery inspection?? The bearing would be packed at that the assambly line, not after delivering it to the selling dealer. They are going to drive these units across country to the dealer before packing the bearings!!! Ya Dexter or whoever the subcontractor was overlubed them.
bob
Old 01-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Guys I just wonder about the seals sometimes. I have repacked my bearings 2 times. the first time I filled the hub with grease and no problem reused the old seals This last time I packed the bearings and a little in the hubs new seals. Now I do hope I don't have any trouble but I wonder if its maybe the new seals if you go to dexters website they show a video of how to grease the easylube hub. they tell you to pump grease in the fitting untill the grease runs all the way though the back bearing and out the front in the cap. so if that is true wonder why they are having so much trouble with seals blowing out. just something to think about I guess. I think sitting around inside is making me think to much!!!!.LOL
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #18
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I got the Monty back from Camping World and I wanted to let everyone know how it went ...
Backing plates, brake shoes, seals were replaced on all 4 wheels. All were contaminated. Camping World worked directly with Dexter on the whole repair and I rolled out of Camping World with NO CHARGE to me for any of it. Dexter picked up the tab with no discussion. I feel a lot better now having good brakes and look forward to a great camping season. Though it's possible that this issue may have originated with Dexter, it speaks well for them to step up to the plate and fix the issue without blaming the customer. Thank you Terry of Camping World, Fountain, Colorado for your part in making this all good. Lastly, thank you MOC members for helping me with this issue. What a great bunch of people you are!!
Old 01-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #19
blarkman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1977
CORattler;
I can appreciate your frusrations and who is responsable. In my case, during the show and tell, the crank handle fell off the tv bkt which should have been the first clue!! They said had done a pressure test on water lines as there were some reports of water leaking under shower, wrong, had air hoses strung all over said air pressure was 80#, wrong, was only 50# and other things. The worst was has to raise hitch in pickup, but forgot to tighten bolts, right side nuts were on bed of truck and bolts half out. The fact that Dexter picked up the tab for you and others IMHO would indicate who was at fault
bob
blarkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 02:52 PM   #20
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
As with health care where you have to be your own best advocate, so it is with consumer items (even big ticket items). If I hadn't been observant (and yes, a bit shall we say "detail oriented") I might have blissfully rolled down the road thinking that this must be the way it's supposed to be. Fortunately, experienced MOC members helped me solve the issue.