Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Tapping into propane for BBQ

I am interested in tapping into the propane near the tanks to install a connection that would supply my gas BBQ using a flexible gas line. Has anyone ever done this and if so do you have any suggestions on the best way to approach it as well as where do you get all of the gas connection parts. Thanks John

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
John- I haven't done it yet but I've seen connections you can buy at both Camping World and also at the RV dealers that connect onto the tank and then you connect the line for the BBQ to it and the line for the RV. I think it has a switch over on it to control which one you want to use.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I looked at this when we first got the Mountaineer. I think the fitting that Rondo mentioned is probably the best solution. I was concerned that tapping into the line downstream of the switch over regulator would not provide adequate pressure for the additional regulator on the grill.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We ran into this problem with our previous rig. It had a quick connect gas fitting in front of the door on the belly. But it was supplied after the regulator so it was a regulated supply. When I connected my Weber Baby-Q to it I had half sized flames because the Weber has a regulator so I ended up with two regulators in the supply to the grill which dropped the pressure to half of what was needed. They were selling a grill called a RV-Q which was unregulated and could tap into the regulated supply of any rig, but they wanted 300 smackers for it and it was of the same quality as the 15 dollar Wally World specials. I now just carry an extra 20 pounder and hose for the Weber. CW has bottles from 10 lb to 40 lb. They also have a fitting that fits between the tank and the regulator which will supply unregulated full pressure to your Weber or other grill... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
What you need is this.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...low-plus/24020

The adapter goes between your tank and the hose going to the regulator. The supplied hose fits the adapter on one end and your grill on the other. You have unregulated gas going to the regulator on your grill
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have the one that 8.1al uses, however I have the Weber Baby Q and use the blue propane cannisters from Wally world and use the on board propane as a last resort. The one pound cannisters don't last long, but I like my grill well away from the trailer.. I do have the 12 foot extension hose but don't use it often.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #7
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
We don't use alot of propane in our rig, so DH removes the tank on door side of unit and we use it for the BBQ. Saves money as small propane bottles are expensive and BBQ can be away from the rig. When tank runs out we refill and put full tank in rig for use and take partial out for BBQ. Good rotation and saves having a third tank. Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Teresa, That's a great idea. I never thought of doing it that way. Thanks for the solid idea!!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #9
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Thanks Phil..But Dave deservs all the praise for cming up with idea. Did not want to pack third tank and he came up with a GREAT solution.
Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Right as others have said...I used this one on curb side tank...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
I'm not in a hurry when using the 5er, so I use charcoal, and then sit and sip a glass of wine. The food also has a better flavor. jmho Jim
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote