Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ever lose ...............

........a dryer belt? No big deal, right? Well, not in a stick house, but a stackable Aristan in that closet is a bit different. The only way to replace the belt is through the back. So the only way to get to the back is to pull the units out of the closet. Of course, they are tightly squeezed into the closet. I won't go on, but...................

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our washer sits free in the closet so is simple to slide out. But, ours is by the entry door so there is room to move it out. The dryer, on the other hand, is bolted to the stack frame and would be much more a challenge. Good luck with yours!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:53 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Stiles,
I understand completely. I just had mine out to put a pan under it and it was a b#$%h getting it out and back in.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Sounds like these need to be put on rollers or slides for serviceability.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
I don't want anything in the fiver with wheels on it. Way too much to go wrong and how often do you replace the dryer belt...I never had to.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Stiles, how old is that Ariston dryer? I would never attempt to pull my stackables out on my own. That would be a dealer liability. As you mentioned - tighter than a sardine can. I could see some possible damage to the molding and walls...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:52 PM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have a reputable mobile service guy to come do the job. If Aristan doesn't cover, my extended warranty kicks in less the deducible. The belt broke because an item got caught between the tub and the wall, then the belt separated.

The belt has been ordered. Should be here in a day or two. While I have it out, I will try to put a pan in it and run a drain out the bottom to handle over flow problems should that occur.

For all of you looking to install a washer, experience makes me recommend putting a catch pan under the unit(s) and drain it out the bottom to save the rig from water damage elsewhere.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:18 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
When I installed our Bosch W/D stack last December I was worried about getting it out of the closed if it needed work, so I took an old beach towel and set the whole thing on it to slide it into the closet. I left all the extra rolled up in front of the washer. This roll serves two purposes, it gives you something to grab and pull to get the units out for work and it is an easily reached indicator of any leaks. Water will wick into the roll and you can see and feel the wet towel. I also installed removable pin hinges on the doors so they can easily be removed from the closet front if you need to pull the units... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I like Stiles idea of having a professional handle the job. I would haul it to the dealer that installed the set for any repairs. Not sure what the Ariston warranty was. One year, I think?

I also have an extended warranty. However, I was reading it the other day and I had a concern. It stated in the paperwork that items NOT covered were items that did not come with the initial rig purchase. My Ariston stackables were installed after the fact a year after we purchased our 2007 3400. I bought the extended warranty AFTER the install. So there could be a problem. I did have an authorized Montana dealer do the install though...

Guess I should check. Just hate turning a good day (so far) into a sour day... Yeah, I know... attitude is everything...
Old 07-02-2009, 12:59 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Either way, the W/D were part of the initial invoice. The repairman will call the Aristan supplier with all the pertinent details. If warrantied great. If not, service policy.The repairman seems to know the business end as well as the equipment.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 AM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We had a "professional" work on our washer in Albuquerque and he did some damage to the molding. Had more work done to it at Camping World in Longmont, CO and they really ruined the molding. Big gouges. They did not have anything that matched the hickory so we settled for money off our bill and fixed it ourselves. I don't think Bill and I could have gotten the units out by ourselves as the dryer is bolted on the top of the washer.

Helen

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 05:41 AM   #12
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Helen, did you get some sort of "coverup" finish for the Hickory, if so what did you get and where. I would like some just in case.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

We had a "professional" work on our washer in Albuquerque and he did some damage to the molding. Had more work done to it at Camping World in Longmont, CO and they really ruined the molding. Big gouges. They did not have anything that matched the hickory so we settled for money off our bill and fixed it ourselves. I don't think Bill and I could have gotten the units out by ourselves as the dryer is bolted on the top of the washer.

Helen

Helen
Helen, I get your point and I agree whole heartedly... some "professionals" should not be allowed to own a wrench...

I would re-state that what I meant was I would only allow (for a job of this magnitude) a certified tech that was employed by Keystone/Montana dealership so that if something - anything - went wrong, I should be covered by Keystone. Never any guarantees, but this is the best "insurance" in such a case.

My shoulders do not allow my to do this type of heavy work and my hiring my next door neighbor to attempt such a task is not such a good idea. He would just not have the same sense of caution that I would have the my money involved.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I would be surprised if anyone could get the stacked unit out with out damaging something. It is too tight. I certainly could not. When it is all done and back in, then comes the patch up to the extent necessary. Nothing here to get bitter about. It is just the way it is.

My dad was a fine carpenter. He declared that no craftsman is perfect (duh), but the good ones make thing look like they are. I suppose I am too tolerant for some, but I don't expect perfection...just correction.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #15
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpkelpe

Helen, did you get some sort of "cover up" finish for the Hickory, if so what did you get and where. I would like some just in case.
Yes, we went to Lowes and bought some stain that was very close. It covered the scratches pretty good but the gouges are still in there. We are hoping to get some new molding from Keystone when we are there in September. For now, I just keep the door closed.

We had the staples pull out from the wall paneling in the kitchen and bedroom and had to put screws in to hold the paneling. We were able to buy some thin molding and stain it the hickory color and you would never know that there are screws under it
Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote