Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2004, 05:31 AM   #1
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Water from HW heater smells

As mentioned before the hot water heater has a bad odor if not used in a 3 week time period. I now know it does the same if not used in a 7 day period. I know it will improve if I drain the water and clean the anode rod which appears to be made of aluminum. Does it on well water or city public supply. Is there a anode rod made from zinc that would correct this problem? Just do not think it should be this way after 7 days. Thanks!

Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 06:41 AM   #2
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
The odor may be the result of the chemical interaction of the minerals in the water with the anode rod or may simply be the result of the release of disolved gasses.

Check with a local plumber and ask if the locals usually use or remove anode rods in their home hot water heaters - this will give you a hint as to which way to play.

FWIW, a good water filtration system can help out a lot.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 08:38 AM   #3
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob McCulloch

The odor may be the result of the chemical interaction of the minerals in the water with the anode rod or may simply be the result of the release of disolved gasses.

Check with a local plumber and ask if the locals usually use or remove anode rods in their home hot water heaters - this will give you a hint as to which way to play.

FWIW, a good water filtration system can help out a lot.
Hello Bob, I bought the trailer new last Feb., it shows a manufacture date of April '03. The first time I used the water fom the HWH it had this odor, I removed the anode rod and flushed with a bleach solution.
The anode rod looked bad and the dealer gave me a new one....the new rod and flushing solved the problem. I have now determined if the unit is not used for a 7 day period the odor is back. This past week when it occurred, I turned the faucet on until the existing water drained, the water eventually lost the odor. I think it is the anode rod but do not know what to do about it other than remove it.
Thanks!
Old 11-16-2004, 10:21 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thunderman, as fulltimers our water heater ends up with water from many different places. We've had the odor problem only when the water seemed to be high in either iron or sulfur. Maybe various other minerals would cause that, too, but these are what we've noticed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 07:05 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
What would it be like to just empty the hot water heater when stored for a week or more. It is real easy to refill with Camp Ground water and your off and running again. Do need to design an easy/in easy out anode plug though.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 04:23 AM   #6
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

What would it be like to just empty the hot water heater when stored for a week or more. It is real easy to refill with Camp Ground water and your off and running again. Do need to design an easy/in easy out anode plug though.
Stiles, Yes to empty the tank solves the problem at the time. My previous 5ver had a hot water heater other than the Suburban and this was never a problem. The other did not have the anode rod.
Thanks!