Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2004, 04:30 AM   #1
Montana_1970
Established Member

M.O.C. #1970
Reducing a Sun Spot

Having a skylight in the shower of our 3650RK is certainly a feature that my 6'5" stature appreciates and enjoys. It's great looking around at the sky and trees. The down side is the heating generated by the sun down here on the AL Gulf Coast streaming through the skylight creates a very noticable hot spot in the air temp near the steps leading up to the bath area. Near the thermostat that creates a false warm condition. A/C runs too much.
SOLUTION: My wife, Pat, came up with a simple, effective addition. A custom cut to fit the lowest indent in the frame piece of blue foam insulation. Aluminum foil on the topside, duct tape on all the edges and it press fits into the indent. When the shower is in use the piece is stored between the shower wall and sink cabinet.
A/C runs less.
She's a smart lass and I'm a lucky guy.

Montana_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 05:05 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Pat & Rock, sounds like a really good solution. Any chance you have a picture or two? Kudos to Pat for her idea.
Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 09:00 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
We sometimes forget how important our partners can be to our team. Good work. Thanks for the posting. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:40 AM   #4
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Hi all,
I am the Carol of "Gordon 'n Carol" and thought I'd let you know how I solved the "sun in the shower" problem. I went to the fabric store and bought 1/2 yd each of white vinyl (like tablecloths) and the silver fabric that is used for ironing board covers. I sandwiched in some layers of dark fabric to block the light, cut it slightly larger than the frame of the skylight, and put white seam binding around edges. On all 4 sides I sewed on strips of the hook side of hook and loop tape to the silver side. I then glued the loop side of the tape to the frame of the skylight. The white blends in with the ceiling and the silver reflects the light and heat away. It is easy to put up and take down, can stay in place when you shower, and folds flat to store if you want to let the sun shine in!
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 12:21 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Nice idea Carol, thanks!
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 03:08 PM   #6
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Carol - great idea! If I understand it right you used the largest frame around the skylight area - is this correct? Did you use craft glue to secure the other part of the hook tape?

Safe travels.

Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:27 PM   #7
Montana_1970
Established Member

M.O.C. #1970
Hey Carol!
Great idea, too. When ours wears out we will give your suggestion a go.
Montana_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 06:19 AM   #8
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
In my old trailer, I used blocks of foam cut to size to fit the opening of any vent I wanted to cover. They just push up into the holes and stay there by themselves. Easily removed and stored. In our hot Nevada summers, I leave them in all the holes when we are not using the trailer and it helps cut the heat build up in the trailer. Our fabric store also sells foam and cuts it to size. JoAnnes has foam, but you have to cut it yourself, but our Mill End Fabric Store sells white or blue foam for mattresses or any other use you want and cuts it for you. I used 3" foam in the 14x14 holes, and I think 1 or 2 " foam for the shower. It will also block the light well for sleeping.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:33 PM   #9
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rockrheino

Having a skylight in the shower of our 3650RK is certainly a feature that my 6'5" stature appreciates and enjoys. It's great looking around at the sky and trees. The down side is the heating generated by the sun down here on the AL Gulf Coast streaming through the skylight creates a very noticable hot spot in the air temp near the steps leading up to the bath area. Near the thermostat that creates a false warm condition. A/C runs too much.
SOLUTION: My wife, Pat, came up with a simple, effective addition. A custom cut to fit the lowest indent in the frame piece of blue foam insulation. Aluminum foil on the topside, duct tape on all the edges and it press fits into the indent. When the shower is in use the piece is stored between the shower wall and sink cabinet.
A/C runs less.
She's a smart lass and I'm a lucky guy.
Great idea! Thanks for posting
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:36 PM   #10
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FireTruckerWife

In my old trailer, I used blocks of foam cut to size to fit the opening of any vent I wanted to cover. They just push up into the holes and stay there by themselves. Easily removed and stored. In our hot Nevada summers, I leave them in all the holes when we are not using the trailer and it helps cut the heat build up in the trailer. Our fabric store also sells foam and cuts it to size. JoAnnes has foam, but you have to cut it yourself, but our Mill End Fabric Store sells white or blue foam for mattresses or any other use you want and cuts it for you. I used 3" foam in the 14x14 holes, and I think 1 or 2 " foam for the shower. It will also block the light well for sleeping.
So far...this one sound the easiest for me to do. Looking forward to sleeping in
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:50 PM   #11
Doug and Lorraine
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #123
We bought a role of silver, bubble insulation and cut it to cover the skylight. We put up velcro to hold it in place. Put on at night also so we can sleep longer. Just take it off when showering. We also use a cut out piece and put it over the skylight on the wall in living/dining area. It just needs to be "pushed" into place. So if it's really hot outside or we're oparked at home, it's in place. We also put it up at night so our son can sleep later. Works great.
Doug and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 08:56 AM   #12
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
In our old rig. (kit) they had installed a shade similar to the "day/night" shades we have over the windows. On the sky-light in the kitchen in that unit. It worked great. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote