Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2004, 07:32 PM   #1
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Flat Tires

When cleaning the Montana last week I discovered a slow leaking rubber valve stem and had it replaced with one of the same type. This morning I went out and found another tire gong flat for the same reason, and when dropping the spare found it in the same shape. Got out the Floor jack and stands, then immediately took all five tires/wheels in to have the rubber stems replaced with metal units. Lucky it was in the driveway and not on the road.

This got me to thinking about how I would change a tire on the road if my Good Sam ERS wasn't available. I don't like to carry my 80lb. floor jack with me and I don't believe the tow vehicle's jack is up to the task. Has anyone in the group got a suggestion as to a light weight jack that will lift high enough?

Thanks,
Don

Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 07:52 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Don,
I carry a 20 ton hydraulic jack from Harbor Freight. Should be strong enough to lift the trailer. I also carry several blocks of wood that I can use to help adjust the height. But must admit that I'd likely simply have to call AAA to come out and do the deed!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 09:51 PM   #3
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Nice to carry a spare jack, but I think that calling AAA would do the job. Happy rving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 01:03 AM   #4
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad
... I carry a 20 ton hydraulic jack from Harbor Freight. Should be strong enough to lift the trailer. I also carry several blocks of wood that I can use to help adjust the height. But must admit that I'd likely simply have to call AAA to come out and do the deed! ...
Same here except that I have a Sears 16,000 # Bottle Jack and would call Good Sam's ERS if possible!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 02:46 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I carry a 8 ton bottle jack I bought at Wall Mart and a couple of 2x6. I tested it in the drive way and it works fine.

regards,
Steve
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 05:03 AM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I carry a bottle jack with wood blocks. No problem taking tires off.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:18 AM   #7
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
If you have tandem axles just drive one tire onto some blokes of wood or those plastic load levelers. That will lift the other wheel off the ground. Loosen the lug bolts on the tire you want to remove first. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 06:23 AM   #8
GordonR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1801
Send a message via AIM to GordonR
Treecounter - I've heard of folks doing this; but, I've also heard people express a concern about overloading the other axle during this process. I'm sure that that's technically true, but I wonder about the practicality of it. Since you're not doing this a 60+ MPH on an unfriendly road, is it really an issue to use this method? Anyone?

Gordon
GordonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 09:31 AM   #9
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Thanks to all of you for the input. Think I'll shop for a suitable bottle jack to keep in the rig. Treecounter has an idea that may work afterall. On my last trip I actually saw a 5th wheel on I/80 pulling onto the shoulder with the left rear wheel completely gone and nothing dragging. Another rig had both right side tires flat at the same time.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 11:12 AM   #10
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
I have a piece of 2x6 cut on angle about 3 ft long. With apiece of rubber tacked that I pull or back up on. also works great for changing oil.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 02:31 PM   #11
FREDnBUNNY
Established Member

M.O.C. #1153
A simple device to drive the good tire onto so you can get the height to remove the bad tire is called the TrailerAid. Camping World carries it.
FREDnBUNNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 03:16 PM   #12
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
A while back I wrote about my front aluminum wheels were thicker than the back wheels.I took it to the dealer,pictures were taken and sent to Kekstone.I was told I was out of luck,they would do nothing.Well one started leaking around the valve stem.It turned out to be a crack in the wheel.It was the thinner wheel.On the back or the wheel it says made in CHINA.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:17 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have the same 8 ton bottle jack steves mentioned. I even had to use it last week. Lifted the wheel easily but couldn't keep me from getting dirty laying under the rig working the jack. We were hitched up and about to hit the road.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote