Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Front corner seperation

Just got back from our first (of many to come) RV vacations. Of course, my work car was dead when I went to start it yesterday am and went to get the jump station out of the front compartment of the 5vr. As I got close, something made me look at the right front corner of the trailer under the propane tank. There was a gap about two inches and I could stick my fingers up through the gap. I checked the other side and it was fine. I was going to include a pic, but forgot (at work now). It appeared at first that the belly sheet separated from the front right corner. This is the area below the propane tank and next to the opening for the right front jack (passenger side).

I called my RV dealer and he assured me it was not a structural problem, but needed to look at it. I agreed. I got home last night and took a closer look. Nothing appears to be actually torn or pulled apart. It almost appears they came up short on the belly pan, tacked it in as best they could and left it. It does not appear to be a problem or allow moisture to wood etc. Anyone else have this problem or have any advice?

Thanks

Steve

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:01 AM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
We haven't had this problem on our Montana, but we did have a problem on an SOB we had where the nose separated from the body of the RV. We noticed an inch or so gap when we got home from a trip. We took it to our dealer and upon inspection by our dealer, it was discovered that the company used 4 drywall screws to attach the end cap to the body. Needless to say, that isn't how you attach an end cap. The rig was repaired, and, sadly, we had nothing but trouble with it due to water getting in around the nose even after the repair.

Hope your fix is easy and noneventful.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 06:55 AM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
It could be simply some rivets came loose or something like that. Without looking at it it’s really difficult to guess. Let us know what you find out.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Mine is loose inthe exact same place, the screw thru the molding and supposedly into the frame missed by several inches and the only thing holding it togeather is caulk, when that broke it seperated. What is really wonderful is that we are out of warrenty but long on ideas, I put in a sub-brace and fixed it. Looks good as new and now definately stronger.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
So how do these inconsistencies occur? Are there 30 personnel who get to put a rig together 30 different ways as long as it looks good on the outside? I am repeatedly astounded on the subpar creativeness some of these manufacturers allow.

I am beginning to be so disappointed when I see "Made in America" and it seems to mean that the same like products have turned into risky customizations instead of repetitive efforts of what works. And we're lucky we have one of the most popular lines of RV fifth wheels - but the stories of these differences are still puzzling.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Update:

I took a close look at the corner and as I inspected the situation, it appears this was done at the factory when the unit was built. I only noticed as the moulding in front started to bend out a little as there was nothing on the other side to hold it in. I looked through the propane door and could see the screw going in holding the one corner in place. It appears they cut the underbelly skirt a little off and just tacked it in. In looking, there is little this does other than cover up the underbelly stuff. There is the hole next to it for the braces and also for the area under the propane tanks. This tells me there is no expectation of this being a 'dry' or 'sealed' area. I originally freaked thinking my front frame was busted or something. I chalk this up to not wanting to get another piece of sheeting to make it right. A couple minor modifications and it will hold the moulding in as it was designed for.

I checked the other side to see how it was and this piece was properly screwed in and covered all the way to the moulding. I get a little punchy when I spend that much money to find 'short cuts' on an otherwise great product. Hopefully, someday I will quit worrying???
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I did have a frame separation issue with my rig. Besides the corner problem I also noticed that inside the rig in the bathroom that the sink vanity was lifting off the floor when the rig was hooked to the truck. Normally the vanity should rest on the floor. But with the separation problem it was at least an inch to an inch and half off the floor.

Keystone fixed the problem even though the rig was out of warranty. I think the frame has a longer warranty. Anyway make sure it is truly just cosmetic and not actually a frame separation.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote