Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Security System

Other than Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson, or any other name, does anyone use any kind of security system in their Monty? If so, what kind and where to buy? Pros/cons???

Thanks

Phil P.

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:23 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Our security system was adopted from an undercover narcotics agent after a local raid. You can see our security system in the third picture in our signature. Sorry, but the opportunity to praise our Basenji could not be passed up.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Here you go Phil -

http://rvprotectionproducts.com/inde...=1284&parent=9

Will even call you at home.

I don't have one.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I have a warning system I use when I'm in for the evening and when sleeping. It attaches to the door and windows, but I only have it on my door right now. Gives me enough warning to wake up Mr. Smith and Wesson or Little Ms. Colt and somebody else I won't name. Anyway, you can buy the sirens at radio shack or Walmart. They're pretty loud and will wake you and probably your neighbors up. I didn't get the motion sensors as I like to wake up in the middle of the night and get a snack sometimes...yummy! I don't have it to protecting material stuff just protecting me. All I can say, is I pitty the fool....
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:51 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Although the chance for a"intrusion"is rare we do take some precautions. We have those thingies that you can hang on the door or window that make a big noise when the door or window is opened..Cheap but effective. When you are away from the camper there is little you can do to stop a dedicated thief from helping them selves..Have you ever heard a car alarm or a alarm go off in a C.G..did you run over to check out what was going on...did you call 911..chances are are ..no.We are concerned about the the bone head that is desperate enough to invade your camper when you are in it .. If they are that desperate they will have no problem in harming you to get what they want. The noise makers give us (both of us) the few seconds we need to take "appropriate action"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:14 AM   #6
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
We do not have any extra alarms on our rig. We do make sure that we lock the door. In an area this small (inside the Monty, if someone wanted in to do us harm, noise would not alert us in time if we were asleep. I was a cop for what seems like a thousand years in Detroit and a Chief in the area and discovered that the vast majority of nighttime B&Es were into UNoccupied dwellings. The intruder does not wish to face anyone - just get what items he was after and split. It does all boil down to "do what makes you feel comfortable."
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:59 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I wasn't a cop but I gotta agree with Jim of this one. I also do what makes me feel comfortable. I don't feel comfortable having Mr Smith, Mr Wesson, Mr Winchester or any of the rest any where near me or my trailer. It has been reported time and again about some innocent victim beening shot with his/her own gun and now there is another gun in the hands of some screwball out on the streets just looking for another victim. How about the times where a family member or friend was inadvertently shot while the gun owner was investigating a noise.

BTW-I am not an advocate of any type of gun control but a gun in an untrained indivduals hand is just looking for trouble.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:11 AM   #8
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Ours is in the signature below.
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I belonged to the rifle club in high school (imagine them doing THAT nowadays huh?), and was certified as a pro marksman on non moving targets. I shot many guns on my dads property during visitation while growing up. I always thought I was quite comfortable around firearms. But, a few years ago, my ex (a retired cop outside Cleveland) and I went to the firing range. The gun was a 40 mm semi automatic Baretta. That gun scared the bejesus out of me!! After firing off a few rounds, I set it down because I was shaking so badly. I said that I didn't want to be anywhere near that gun again it scared me so badly.

I've been considering the purchase of a gun again now that I'm going to be traveling pretty much alone. But, it would need to be something very small, and easy to handle. I don't know, I'm still awfully torn about the whole thing. Maybe if I were to take some classes, and went for a CCW permit I would be more comfortable about it. Right now, I have Molly, my black lab. She is a very gentle girl, but barks at any stranger who approaches, and I believe she would protect me if it came down to it. Even my Connor screams if someone approaches the trailer....very good watch birdie...LOL And Chloe, the african grey, likes to bark like a dog at strangers also. I guess I have a security system, but only for warnings, not ultimately to protect. Back to thinking about a gun...

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To volatile a subject for the general forum.. I did send you a PM...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I guess my question got somewhat off topic. My intent was to determine if a security system, OTHER THAN A GUN, was feasible, or even available for an RV. I have had a security system in my stick home for quite some time. I understand everyone has their own thoughts on firearms and it was not my intent to query folks about their's.

If anyone can answer my question I would love to hear from you...

On edit: Don't mean to scold anyone, just looking for advice.

Thanks in advance....

Phil
Old 05-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #12
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The joke in the security business is the first deterant is the sticker that says you are secured by so and so alarm company. Also, given that most robberies are over in a few minutes, the time for a monitoring company to find you when you are camping and call the appropriate jurisdiction is - at best - problematic. The industry has a huge problem with false alarms. Many jurisdictions require a certification to be on file before they will recognize your alarm. You can understnd the reasoning when you see industry statistics that say over 90 % of all signals recieved by monitoring stations are determined to be false alerts before a dispatch occurs. That is followed by the fact that of the actual dispatches over 90 % of these are false alarms. So we have something like 1 in 800 alerts to be real.

I think the noise makers and the like are a better solution when we are camping. When you have the camper stored You might consider a local alarm company but be prepared to be alerted at odd times for possible alarms..

Still, I like the sticker idea with maybe a flashing LED to show it is "armed"
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Dave, That's the best solution I have heard so far. Thanks for your reply...

Phil P