Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #1
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Loving Camping!

With all the problems this year I think my wife & I are very grateful to be able to get into our camper & just forget about all the nonsense, even if it is only for a couple of days. Even though all campers have their issues most can be resolved by us rather than going through the dealer. Being seasonal this year was also a big plus, just had to get to the camper to enjoy it, we love to travel but this staying put really worked out well. We have tried many different venues to get a way but we always seem happiest going some where we enjoy & having the added benefit of all your own stuff being with you. lets face it whats most important is family & friends, the rest is just stuff & really don't need all that much to be happy. So even with all the problems that come with camper ownership I really don't foresee not owning one, of course life can change that but after this year we have learned to not let the little things get you down. So we are going to move forward & enjoy every day whether the camper needs to be fixed or not, if we are fixing it we are still using it, so that's great. Enjoy camping!

Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I so agree. Just hooking up and towing to your favorite destination is therapeutic. I think that anybody who is fortunate to own one of these trailers, or any trailer, is blessed. A lot of people may never have the means or opportunity to own or use a trailer and I'm thankful our family is able to do so. I'm so looking forward to our next trip, which is not until November. Safe travels everybody.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We feel the same!!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:48 AM   #4
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Amen. It's a shame it took me 55 years and a triple bypass to learn that lesson.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
We've been in that camp (pun intended) for over 35 years. We raised our kids vacationing in our favorite spots in whatever trailer we had at the time. Nothing like it.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:19 PM   #6
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Same with us, kids are grown and have RV's themselves or are looking at RV's even a weekend trip to the local camp seems like a mini vacation. Been doing this for 25 years, 35 if you count the tent days

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:37 PM   #7
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
OP, you are so right. Owned a trailer for decades but they were sort of "it's there but I want to do other things"; condos, had 4 homes....always using something like that and our RV just kind of sat.....as we forgot about the wonderful opportunities they afford. Fast forward;

Homes cost lots of money to maintain and as you get older what used to be fun...wasn't. Got rid of the homes except main house and then started to explore the RV, in a retired, we can whatever we want environment - tried to open our minds. Wow! Untethering yourself from all those fixed things/investments/expenses was actually liberating. We have moved from a mode of "the RV costs a lot and sits out there" to " I can't wait to get on the road and explore". For us it has been exhilarating.

And yes, some want to focus on all the problems. RVs aren't like cars, more like homes that endure a tornado every trip. My first RV I was all over every human being wanting it to be "perfect", they're not. Now, I accept the issues and deal with them. On the other side, like you, I know how blessed we are to be able to enjoy all the benefits of having one of these RVs - I wouldn't trade it for the world. It opens doors/windows, provides opportunities for you and your family that you would be hard pressed to match. Thanks for the uplifting post.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #8
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
We are starting to plan out next year and can't wait to hit the road. We're still keeping a seasonal spot, but plan on using our other camper a lot more to travel. It's great to be hearing some positive stories, trying to focus on that.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #9
creyer

M.O.C. #24694
totally agree

I so totally agree with you. This year with all of the stresses of COVID and hubby losing his job, we have planned and camped almost every other weekend. Fortunately, we have a wonderful state park 30 minutes from our house. Made it very easy to get out and just forget about the world around us for a while. We have two other couples that are friends and have camped most of the same weekends. It has been great to just get together and shoot the breeze and enjoy good food.
creyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:47 PM   #10
PhilSki

M.O.C. #6345
Camping is the best place to enjoy the outdoors and get away for a little while. We've been camping since 1958 and still enjoy. We've gone thru tents, pickup campers and 5th wheels. Heading out for northern Wyoming next week. We can spend time with our children and not feel like we are imposing. Love it.
PhilSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:56 PM   #11
SaraLouwho
Established Member

M.O.C. #14458
I love our RV and traveling, but my DH doesn't like dragging the rig. And neither of us like setting up and breaking down for less than 2 weeks. We have found a wonderful spot to stay for the winter and it is cheaper for us to rent year round than move it. Our main home is in an old campground, so summers we would never use the rig anyway. But I love living in it in the winter.
SaraLouwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:12 PM   #12
davidboughton

M.O.C. #24113
Love camping

I totally agree. So relaxing. This is why I retired.
davidboughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:55 PM   #13
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSki View Post
Camping is the best place to enjoy the outdoors and get away for a little while. We've been camping since 1958 and still enjoy. We've gone thru tents, pickup campers and 5th wheels. Heading out for northern Wyoming next week. We can spend time with our children and not feel like we are imposing. Love it.

^^^^^This! Any number of things make staying with the kids uncomfortable. Heck they are 47 and 52, not really wanting "mom and dad" hanging out with them. Tried motels, renting, leasing etc. so we could stay more than a few days. None of those options offered the conveniences of an RV. And more importantly, sort of actually opened up the kids when we are there. They LIKE it that we are there but not under foot or imposing and we like it for the same reason. It's a great benefit.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #14
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
^^^^^This! Any number of things make staying with the kids uncomfortable. Heck they are 47 and 52, not really wanting "mom and dad" hanging out with them. Tried motels, renting, leasing etc. so we could stay more than a few days. None of those options offered the conveniences of an RV. And more importantly, sort of actually opened up the kids when we are there. They LIKE it that we are there but not under foot or imposing and we like it for the same reason. It's a great benefit.
Funny,mentioned to my oldest son about putting in full hooks at his house so we can stay in the camper when we visit. He loved the idea, told por middle son the same. Great way to visit and keep some privacy.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #15
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Our oldest daughter and SIL have a mini farm in GA. They put in an RV pad for us in a pine grove in the back corner. It's a perfect refuge for the winter for us. Our middle child and her husband are only about 6 hours away in SC with a campground just 5 minutes from them. Get to see the grand kids a lot during the winter. Our son the his family still live in NY and we get to see them in the summer. We love to be able to travel and sleep in our own bed and bring our own bathroom on the road with us.
Next year we are hoping to do a swing out west for a month or two. We had planned it for this year the but Corona postponed that. It's still on the bucket list.

Life is good.
We are blessed.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:27 PM   #16
socoinc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21247
One thing is for sure. We have been to so many places since I bought this 5th wheel that I probably would have never seen. So many museums from Coopers Town to Pensacola. Up & down the west coast. Just Left Blackwell RV Park in Couer d Elaine to Missoula down to Pocatello etc. Going home now to Melba Idaho Monday. Oh and lots of breweries.
socoinc is offline   Reply With Quote