Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2020, 09:10 AM   #21
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
From this pic it doesn't appear that there is a reinforcing plate attached. These are gussets that are welded in the I beam flange directly above the spring hanger. Can you look for this or post different pics of the area? Here is a pic of what a gusset may look like.

His picture sure doesn't appear to have a gusset above it like the picture you posted . You can see the flange and web in his picture also. Possibly offset out of the picture .

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:00 AM   #22
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
The only real fix is to have the junk suspension removed and have the Mor ryde IS installed.
Have the mor ryde now.. i would go to a different manufacturer..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
Have the mor ryde now.. i would go to a different manufacturer..
Dfb, I'm a little confused by your above post. If you're asking whether I have the is yes I do it was put on in June.

Don't know what you mean by a different manufacturer. There are only two places in the country to have the is installed one in Elkhart Indiana and I believe the other one is in Oregon.
If you're talking about RV manufacturers they all use the same junk suspension with the exception of a few that offer the is from the factory like mobile Suites/luxe
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #24
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I would have been happy with a missing wet bolt. On a recent trip I looked in the inside rear view mirror and saw that my Monty was leaning to the door side. I got off the road as soon as I could and found a broken spring on the rear axle. 7 hours later, thanks to good Sam Roadside Assist and my seeing a mobile RV tech in the rest area where I stopped I was back on the road. Good Sam paid their part and I paid my part.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:13 PM   #25
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
got back from a trip and discovered a leaf spring bolt missing, didn't feel a thing, nothing looks damaged, what should I look for? could it bend the axles or ruin the mor-ryde set up?
Last summer, I had one of those spring hangers break. The spring settled up against the frame inside the broken hanger. Not sure how long I towed with it that way but when I discovered it and went to get the hanger replaced, I had related damage to the equalizer. This was due to the axle being not properly aligned. The center hole was excessively worn and rounded out. This was not readily visible and did not give any adverse tire wear. I had to have a new hanger welded on, 2 new equalizers installed and a wet bolt kit installed. I'd check the rest of the suspension components on that side carefully.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:47 PM   #26
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
The spring broke about an inch from the wet bolt. The sharp end of the spring went upward and came to rest on the underside of the frame I-Beam where it started chaffing the I-Beam. The end of the spring was about 1.5" from the hanger. New springs of the proper spec are 12 weeks out. The RV tech found two substitute springs at two different parts suppliers. The sub springs are 0.5" longer than the correct spring. That moves the rear axle about 0.25" to the rear but there is plenty of clearance. The replacement springs also had nylon bushings vs. bronze. I'm on the road now but when I get home I'll be replacing the entire suspension system, including the MOR/ryde shear springs. At 90,000 miles, it's about time to do that.
Old 09-13-2020, 03:53 PM   #27
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Sounds like you need a peterbuilt to hold up 3000lbs of the front end but the other 12 to 15000 lbs of the trailer its ok to have little light weight hangers and spring bolts and springs to hold the rest of it. Doesn't make much sense to me. My 12 foot cargo trailer i just bought has better suspension under it then my 2017 310RE high country
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #28
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
When replacing the wet bolts remember to only tighten the nut down to the shoulder on the bolt and don't over tighten. Do not try to turn the bolt head. It's splined and not meant to spin. If you put the nut on the outside (grease zert on wet bolt on inside), it will make for a very easy inspection to ensure the nut is not backing off.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:23 PM   #29
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I used the 6 point leveling jacks to raise the trailer off the ground. Then using a floor jack, raise the wheel where you want to check the spring bolts. Raise it just enough to take the weight off the bolt. The bolt comes out easily at that point. Only do one bolt at a time. Lower the floor jack enough to inspect the bushing. Even if the spring eye comes out from the spring hanger, it is easy to get it back in there. Once you get into it you'll know if it is within your ability to do this inspection.
Not sure if using your leveling jacks to jack up your RV that way is such a good idea. I asked Lipert about that when I was having an out of stroke issue and they told me to never do that. It can damage your system and even possibly bend a jack. It also voids your warranty if you still have one. They explained that they are for leveling your rig and take “some” weight off the tires, but not built to take all the weight of the RV. Better to use a floor jack and jack stands. I know folks use them like that but really not intended for that use. I wouldn’t want to have to replace a jack just to change out a bolt. Could be an expensive way to do that. Up to you though.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:33 PM   #30
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
It's ok to lift it up and put the frame on jack stands. Each one of those have a 6,000lb lifting capacity, iirc.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:52 PM   #31
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
It's ok to lift it up and put the frame on jack stands. Each one of those have a 6,000lb lifting capacity, iirc.
I can see doing that with no tilt on the RV, straight up. Then throw some stands under it. I’m sure going to take a hard look at my springs/suspension after reading this thread. I’m about due to have my bearings checked and re packed so I’ll have the shop double check the springs, bolts and hangers as well.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:00 PM   #32
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If i5s a six point hyd level up system mid and rear legs are rated at 8K and front jacks at 14K... I routinely use manual mode and lift one side at a time off the ground for routine bearing and brake maintenance.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #33
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
The Lippert response it a CYA from their Legal Team. They have to say that in case some idiot lifts it up, takes the wheels off and crawls under and something happens and it comes down and kills them.
Old 09-13-2020, 07:42 PM   #34
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
For almost 5 years now I have lifted my trailer just slightly off of the tires while in storage (unfortunately most of the year) with no ill effect.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #35
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
When replacing the wet bolts remember to only tighten the nut down to the shoulder on the bolt and don't over tighten. Do not try to turn the bolt head. It's splined and not meant to spin. If you put the nut on the outside (grease zert on wet bolt on inside), it will make for a very easy inspection to ensure the nut is not backing off.
The torque specs on the nut for the shoulder type shackle/hanger bolts is 30 to 50 ft lbs. Just replaced one, so that is fresh in my memory.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #36
Falcon
Established Member

M.O.C. #26505
Quote:
Dfb, I'm a little confused by your above post. If you're asking whether I have the is yes I do it was put on in June.

Don't know what you mean by a different manufacturer. There are only two places in the country to have the is installed one in Elkhart Indiana and I believe the other one is in Oregon.
If you're talking about RV manufacturers they all use the same junk suspension with the exception of a few that offer the is from the factory like mobile Suites/luxe
I have a 2019 Montana, 20th Ann edition. It has the Mor-ryde IS on it. Do you know if it was built like this or did the one previous owner have it installed?
Airbags, Andersen Hitch
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:48 PM   #37
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
I have a 2019 Montana, 20th Ann edition. It has the Mor-ryde IS on it. Do you know if it was built like this or did the one previous owner have it installed?
As far as I know you can't get a Montana with the IS on it from the factory. If you truly have the is and not just the center equalizer from Morryde then yes I would say the previous owners put it on
Old 09-19-2020, 07:46 AM   #38
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
We had a bolt break this summer also. We ended up replacing all 4 springs with heavier duty springs, installed a new wet bolt kit, replaced the worn center bushing/spring and having all 4 spring mounts reinforced. Should be good for a few more miles now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5781.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	7305  

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #39
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasnracin View Post
We had a bolt break this summer also. We ended up replacing all 4 springs with heavier duty springs, installed a new wet bolt kit, replaced the worn center bushing/spring and having all 4 spring mounts reinforced. Should be good for a few more miles now.
It's probably an illusion but it looks like your Center lre Mor ryde Spring Mount it's bent. I also can't see whether there's an X-Factor crossmember between the two Center lre spring mounts.

If your unit does not have that Center X-Factor crossmember I highly recommend you get one and install it. It is very common for the center of melts to bend the bottom of the frame and leaned either in or out. Just installed one on my buddies Montana his driver side mount was bent one in outward
Old 09-19-2020, 08:59 AM   #40
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
It's probably an illusion but it looks like your Center lre Mor ryde Spring Mount it's bent. I also can't see whether there's an X-Factor crossmember between the two Center lre spring mounts.

If your unit does not have that Center X-Factor crossmember I highly recommend you get one and install it. It is very common for the center of melts to bend the bottom of the frame and leaned either in or out. Just installed one on my buddies Montana his driver side mount was bent one in outward
Early on with my 2008 3400RL , I did the reinforcement ,wet bolts , and X-factor all three areas . Never had a moments problem with suspension in over 12 years. I am sure IS is great ,but the leaf spring suspension can be made sound for a fraction of the cost of IS. Leaf spring suspension has been around a long time . To start even the shackle plates are nearly double the thickness on the wet bolt upgrade , X-factor takes out a lot of the side flex that gets hanger brackets etc etc .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote