Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2020, 08:23 AM   #1
dmellich

M.O.C. #21726
Air Conditioner - need help

Hello all - need some help from you air conditioner types.

When we turn it on all we hear is a humming from inside. Went on the roof and had the DW turn on - humming is coming from the fan motor and isn't spinning the fan. I was able to use my finger and get it going but ran only 30 seconds and stopped - motor still humming.

In the top picture I'm guessing the larger black cylinder is the compressor - it does kick on after 30 - 45 seconds after turning on the AC (and the motor still hums/fan not turning).

I'm thinking one of two things - either the motor is bad or not getting enough current.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

David and Cheryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1472.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	7180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1473.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	7181  

dmellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Sure sounds like a bad fan motor. If it get any decent current is should still spin the fan. The fact you hear a loud hum sounds like it is shot. Get all the info off the motor and google it. A replacement may or may not come with the fan blades. I’m not an expert but a friend of ours had the same thing happen. He just replaced the motor and was back in business. Hopefully more folks may have other solutions. If a brushless motor is available you want that one.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
check the capacitor i bet that is what is possibly wrong. best to check with a meter that has microfarads but can be done with a ohm meter if it is shorted. whatever you do make sure power is off and the capacitor is drained! if you are not sure and confident please let someone that knows do it. just google capacitor checking and you will find many utubes on it. on the capacitor it will show what voltage and microfarad rating it is. here is a utube of it

al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote