Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2015, 04:35 AM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Replacing my converter

I am pretty sure on my model that the converter is behind the fuse box/breaker panel in the commode. I want to upgrade and am looking at several of the new multistage models and planning on doing this upgrade myself.
I think my batteries are not being charged properly and I'm thinking I need to replace the converter, but I'm also wondering if there is a fuse or breaker that may just have tripped? Or is there a GFCI on this circuit?
Any advice on what converter is best? Been looking at this model: Progressive Dynamics (PD9280V) 80 Amp Power Converter with Charge Wizard

Old 12-28-2015, 05:52 AM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Our rig came with the Progressive Dynamics PD4590 which is the 90 amp model. I would download the manual, if you don't have one, and follow the directions on checking your unit. You may have something loose or a bad fuse. There is a section in the manual that I've copied and pasted below that may help:

Do not replace the converter section unless the following checks have been performed:
1. Use an AC voltmeter to check for the proper voltage at the 120 VAC breaker that the converter is connected to. This
voltage should be between 105 and 130 volts.
2. Remove the reverse battery fuses and check the converter output from the CONVERTER GND to the CONVERTER POS
terminals on the DC board. This should be 13.6 VDC.
3. Check the Reverse Battery fuses . These fuses will only blow if the battery or DC output leads were connected in reverse,
even for a moment. If they are blown check the polarity of the battery connections before replacing them.
4. If the Converter output is not present and there is AC to the converter , the converter is defective.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:50 AM   #3
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Thanks Bob, I read through the generic Keystone manual which was marginally helpful of course...
Didn't see the text you provided anywhere, but I will do some more troubleshooting. I'm thinking I will just go ahead and replace the converter with a better one than stock anyway. Seems like it would help maintain the batteries better than the one Keystone installs.
Is the converter you have the OEM or did it come with an upgraded model? I was under the impression that stock ones were Iota 55 amp models...

Old 12-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is the one that our rig came with, and it has the smart charging circuitry. I am pretty sure yours will likely have the same one, or possibly at least the 75 amp model. I would say, forget the Keystone manual for getting any brand specific information for any of the components in your rig. You should be able to get the brand and model number of your power center which is the converter and 12 volt/120 volt distribution center on the label you see when you open the door. If it is the Progressive Dynamics unit, you can get a copy of the manual at http://www.progressivedyn.com/power_converters.html

The text I quoted is from the Progressive Dynamics manual, on page 4.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
OK, just got home from a visit to the Monty and, yes, it IS a Progressive Dynamics PD4590K18L with a 90A output rating.
So now I need to go back with a fuse puller and pull the 25a fuses labeled "Reverse Battery fuses".
The problem is my landing gear doesn't work (clutch mechanism is "clicking"...no movement). I had a technician who was working on one of my slide mechanisms check the batt. voltage under load and it was low. Seems like my batts. were not getting charged and have finally drained down even though I was plugged into shore power for several weeks while staying at a nearby RV park. They should have been fine once returning to the storage lot. I have two Crown 6v (new) batts. so I'm not sure what is going on. Plugged into my truck but not long enough to do much good.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #6
DuneBuggyBuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #15774
Time out! Before you replace the converter or any other parts, you need to really diagnose your problem (or problems).

Your converter is the Progressive one and it is not a separate box. It is part of the power panel. The Progressive is a smart charger and has more than enough capacity for your battery configuration.

Just because a tech says your battery voltage is low doesn't make it so. I would double check this observation.

The 25 Amp Reverse Battery fuses protect the converter from someone reversing the power cables connected to the batteries. These rarely fail and only do so when someone has been disconnecting and reconnect the battery cables. You wrote you have new batteries. Did someone goof up during installation?

I would first check the voltage at the batteries when connected to shore power. If you see more than 13V then the converter is doing its thing. If the charge is 12.6V or less then the converter is not charging the batteries. Check the battery disconnect switch in the convenience center to ensure it not the culprit.

Oh yea, one last thing. That non-functional landing gear is a current topic elsewhere here on the MOC. The most common cause is a striped gear in the leg assembly. If you are mechanically inclined you can repair it easily and inexpensively (call Venture Manufacturing). They can supply pieces parts or entire legs

Call a qualified mobile repair guy if you aren't comfortable diagnosing electrical issues.
DuneBuggyBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Make sure when you are checking your battery voltage, the battery is NOT connected to anything. Some time back I was having battery problems and when trying to debug this I left both batteries connected. After some thinking I thought about isolating the batteries and lo and behold, one battery read great and the other read bad, so by having them connected to each other, they were affecting each other. The was a major DOH moment.

I got rid of the bad battery and the good battery lasted almost another two years. That battery has since gone bad and I've replaced it with another single 12 battery. When that one finally goes bad, I hope to change to a dual 6V battery system.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:09 AM   #8
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I'm gonna put a charger on the batteries today and see if that helps the situation. If the problem is low battery power, then I will get some help diagnosing the failure to properly charge them (e.g. converter, batt. disconnect switch, other?)
On the other hand, if the clutch mechanism on the landing gear is slipping due to a mechanical problem in the landing gear itself then I will obviously have a different repair to make. Glad to have the extended service plan...
Appreciate the advice!
Old 12-29-2015, 04:26 AM   #9
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DuneBuggyBuilder

Time out! Before you replace the converter or any other parts, you need to really diagnose your problem (or problems).
Absolutey agree...I am in the process and appreciate all the advice!

Your converter is the Progressive one and it is not a separate box. It is part of the power panel. The Progressive is a smart charger and has more than enough capacity for your battery configuration.
Yes, I have found that to be the case...hoping that it is NOT the converter, but will do more investigation and post results.

Just because a tech says your battery voltage is low doesn't make it so. I would double check this observation.
The RV tech I used is quite good, but not infallible of course. I will look into the battery voltage issue further however.

The 25 Amp Reverse Battery fuses protect the converter from someone reversing the power cables connected to the batteries. These rarely fail and only do so when someone has been disconnecting and reconnect the battery cables. You wrote you have new batteries. Did someone goof up during installation?
The batteries are connected properly, the converter manual suggested to remove the 25 amp Reverse Battery fuses to help diagnose the converter operation

I would first check the voltage at the batteries when connected to shore power. If you see more than 13V then the converter is doing its thing. If the charge is 12.6V or less then the converter is not charging the batteries. Check the battery disconnect switch in the convenience center to ensure it not the culprit.
I don't have shore power where it is parked now, but the lights etc seem to work OK which leads me to believe the batt. disconnect switch is operating correctly? Plenty of batt. power for the lights at least...

Oh yea, one last thing. That non-functional landing gear is a current topic elsewhere here on the MOC. The most common cause is a striped gear in the leg assembly. If you are mechanically inclined you can repair it easily and inexpensively (call Venture Manufacturing). They can supply pieces parts or entire legs
Ya, I will also look into the possibility of a landing gear mechanical issue vs. a low battery causing the clutch mechanism to engage while trying to lift (or retract)

Call a qualified mobile repair guy if you aren't comfortable diagnosing electrical issues.
Yep, got a good one already...not afraid to call for help when needed!
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-30-2015, 07:27 PM   #10
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
OK, the problem is NOT the batteries...although a bit "low", we put a charger on them and the landing gear is still not functioning properly. Sounds like what I thought was a gear box problem (i.e. not meshing or damaged gears etc.) but was told that the sound I am hearing is the clutch mechanism. It was happening once the load on the landing gear motor got high enough...wondering now if there is some binding or other reason for higher than normal load on the mechanism? Took everything out of the basement etc to reduce weight...
Fortunately I got the trailer to the RV park OK, didn't have to lift it much to get it on the truck. Lifting it to get it off the hitch was another matter. Fortunately I had my pair of BAL heavy duty scissor jacks to help with the load lifting and we got it done. Got it leveled and left the jacks under the frame near the landing gear to help support the weight...just in case something fails.
More investigation to come, now focusing on the front gear!