Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2021, 06:21 PM   #1
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
Question Working from the road

I hear and see videos of people who claim to travel full time and work “ on the road”. I am just curious what types of jobs can be done from an RV while on the road. Also how much can you possibly make from them? Can you earn enough to support yourself?
Just wondering! Thanks for sharing🌷

hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:34 PM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I think there are lots of jobs that don't require going in to a place of business. I just retired but was a project manager for the past few years and worked out of my house. I could have easily been anywhere in my trailer as well...sometimes I was. Just needed a good internet connection, my computer, printer, and phone. I think that's all a lot of folks need for their job.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Most people who do computer work from home could easily do it on the road. My niece does billing for doctors a friend does medical coding both of these jobs pay well. Traveling nurses make a good living. I’m told $1200 a week for expenses and could be done from a RV. My nephew and his wife are going to do this.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:40 PM   #4
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
We're retirees so I only know what I've heard.

I believe Andrew Hooper from "Home With The Hoopers" is an accountant.

Others are in web design and graphics.

We had a neighbor here in the campground that was an Insurance Investigator.

I believe in the case of the couple that call themselves "ROLLING VISTAS".... He's a photographer and she sells stuff she makes on Etsy.

Lots of the talented, interesting ones, make money through Patreon making video's.

Some make money monetizing YouTube but I understand you have to have a HUGE following to make any money at all.
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 06:41 PM   #5
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Most are scams. If you are not in the medical field, Insurance field, or construction and welding, they're all scams. Been trying for 4 months and theres not a single one that is a true remote job. Just a bunch of backlash from our dear friend Covid.
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:21 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We like near a gas pipeline that is being built. I understand at least a third of the people working on it live in an RV.
Lynwood
Old 01-24-2021, 09:18 PM   #7
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
We like near a gas pipeline that is being built. I understand at least a third of the people working on it live in an RV.
Lynwood
Oil field "man camps" too. We've run across many of them in our travels.

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...l-boom/100473/

Old 01-24-2021, 09:39 PM   #8
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I think the question is work "from" an RV or live in the RV when the work is done. The 2 scenarios are extremely different.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:38 PM   #9
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
jsb5717 - where do you get 'good internet' at a campground? LOL

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 12:12 AM   #10
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Ha! Fair question. We haven't traveled excessively but if we wanted to take a trip and I knew I needed to work I would either pick a place that had decent WiFi or good 4G access for a hotspot. I know not all parks have good wifi...maybe that's most parks. I managed well enough for connectivity and my online tools. But I'm retired now so no longer a big concern.

If I were still working and needed to spend a lot more time in our RV I would invest in a system to maximize 4G or 5G connectivity. Seems doable for under $500.00.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:18 AM   #11
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
We do not full time, but I am able to work from the road for several weeks at a time. I run my own software business and when traveling I only need internet and phone service through cellular. I have a grandfathered AT&T unlimited plan and I currently use a Netgear hotspot that is on my unlimited plan. I have added an external MIMO antenna that usually gives me a good signal in most every place we've been. I never bother with campground WiFi even when it's available. It's certainly not the Gig speed internet I get in my office through Comcast, but it suffices for my needs and we can stream television, use Alexa for music, etc.
All total, I maybe have $350.00 in equipment for the connectivity and the hotspot is like having another phone on my plan which for me only adds about $20.00 per month. You could easily get multiple failover plans and equipment and spend thousands to get a mobile office, but do you really need that? I do not.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 06:20 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
There are some who are "making a living" by posting their RV travels and family adventures on YouTube channels. There are hundreds more who are "trying to make a living" in the same way.

We follow a few of them regularly. I have followed "Long Long Honeymoon" almost from their beginning; https://www.youtube.com/c/LongLongHoneymoon/videos

Less Junk, More Journey almost as long,
https://www.youtube.com/c/LessJunkMoreJourney/videos

Nomadic Fanatic -- to name a few. I have no inside information, but would guess that these may be "making a living" and maybe doing very well.

"Rolling Ragusa" https://www.youtube.com/c/RollinRagu/videos my friend Tony is a teacher and travels in the Summer, so I'm pretty sure he is not trying to "make a living" on You tube, but we have followed him since his twin sons were children and now they are growing into young men.

These are just examples of an entirely new and different way of "working on the road" but I expect it is getting to be a bigger part way.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #13
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
We've only been to one campground that had good Wi-Fi. Barksdale AFB, Louisiana. We did all of our updates on our phones and tablets and I even updated the maps in my Garmin GPS.

Otherwise we use the data plans on our phones and iPad. We stream TV off a HDMI adapter to our LR TV so it doesn't come off our tethered data. We do get throttled when we exceed our 22GB unlimited and towers are busy but it's not that bad. We reserve our 15GB tethered data for computer. If we exceed that they slow us down to dial up speeds until the next cycle. We've only done that once.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:48 AM   #14
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think the question is work "from" an RV or live in the RV when the work is done. The 2 scenarios are extremely different.
Agreed.

And working from an RV is work I don't care what it is. It requires one to be self motivated and willing to hustle. Those that need a cattle prod in the backside won't ever make it. Too many like the romantic idea of it but that's where it ends.

I just ran across some good video's on the subject:

Old 01-25-2021, 12:27 PM   #15
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitdrd View Post
I hear and see videos of people who claim to travel full time and work “ on the road”. I am just curious what types of jobs can be done from an RV while on the road. Also how much can you possibly make from them? Can you earn enough to support yourself?
Just wondering! Thanks for sharing🌷
We don't full time, but when required, my wife teaches her 4th grade school kids (All 33 of them) from our trailer. As long as you have good internet, the possibilities are endless.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:13 PM   #16
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Personally, I don't like working from home/trailer. Home is home and not a workplace for me. Now, living in a trailer to work at site such as constriction or campsite host? Count me in.
Old 01-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
[QUOTE=Montana Man;1211488]Personally, I don't like working from home/trailer. Home is home and not a workplace for me. Now, living in a trailer to work at site such as constriction or campsite host? Count me in.[/QUOT

I’ve worked from home for forty years. It’s a wonderful way to work. Think of all the time most people waist going to work, wear on their car, gas, nice clothes to work in. If I speak 10 hours working it was 10 hours I got paid for not 8 hours working and 2 hours traveling. It’s just like camp hosting only you really get paid for it and it doesn’t mess up your vacation.
Lynwood
Old 01-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #18
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have been in Information Technology for a long time now. I first started working with computers in 1983 when in the Army and knew absolutely nothing about them. I grew with word processing and spreadsheet applications and then later Windows and finally the advancement of the Internet.

I worked for 3 different companies and each step was a move upward as I increased my knowledge and experience in the Information Technology field. I navigated from simple word processing to running printers to finally software development.

I've been 100% self taught, except for an occasional class one of the companies sponsored for me to attend. Which have been very few.

I've now worked for the 4th company for 20 years now. As technology advanced over the last 20 years, so has my experience, and the needs of the company. Desktop computers were eventually replaced with Laptops, and then Laptops were set up to work from home over the internet. They started letting us work form home more and more, and it was a good thing they did, because Covid eventually shut the doors and everyone was told to work from home indefinitely now.

A similar thing happened to my wife also, as she in in IT also. Doors shut, told not come back back in the building.

You know where that led us? Right! Have trailer will travel. Our son and his 7 year old son are living in our house taking care of it, and .... you guessed it, we are on the road.

Salary? It could be better! Couldn't it always? But it doesn't matter if we are in the building or on the moon, as long as we log in every day, do our job, and take care of these company issued laptops, we are good to go. Yes, I'm paid a good salary, but with 30 years of Information Technology background, I suppose I'm paid fair.

Anyway, that's how my wife and I do it. We have planned this year, taking off for a month at a time, returning home for a few days to recoup, and then hitting the road again for another month. As long as our companies do not recall us back into the office, we're taking advantage of this Covid thing for all it's worth.

We are currently in Cullman, Alabama. And yes, this campground has a paid streaming internet service as well as a free-bee service that comes with the campsite. So far, we've not had any serious internet issues that's prevented us from working every day.

On a scale of 100, I give the wifi at this campground a 95. Sometimes it's a bit slow. But we are not internet gamers either. Streaming videos works just fine.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:32 AM   #19
jmorrison

M.O.C. #30061
I work in customer service and sales, and my wife works in IT. Both of us work remotely and do fine for ourselves. It isn't a scam, it is, like most things, being in the right place at the right time and possessing the right skills.
jmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, salary, working