Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #21
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I bought another pair of those 6 ton floor stands from Harbor freight , used them once ,was reading a forum ,and there was a recall on them , was not heart warming. I did take them back for a refund . The original 2 I have have worked well. The recall stands were grey in color ,these old ones are orange .

That recall was for a particular part number. My HF 6T stationaries aren't included in the recall, being the same age as my two 12T jacks.

I used the Ford jack on my last F350 - scared the you know what out of me. Even on a flat parking lot, it wobbled way more then I was comfortable with changing a flat. The jack in my current truck has never been used and actually don't recall even taking it out from behind the back seat - in 10+ years

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:45 AM   #22
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
That recall was for a particular part number. My HF 6T stationaries aren't included in the recall, being the same age as my two 12T jacks.

I used the Ford jack on my last F350 - scared the you know what out of me. Even on a flat parking lot, it wobbled way more then I was comfortable with changing a flat. The jack in my current truck has never been used and actually don't recall even taking it out from behind the back seat - in 10+ years
I had that particular part #. It was scary thinking they could of failed. If I remember trying the one in my Ford ,as you know it doesn't take much to get a fifth wheel tire off the ground ,jacking it up on the u-bolt. It sure seemed pretty steady to me ,but it wasn't very high. No worries now, I use the 12 tons . Or ,but don't tell anyone the level-up . I have never used the one in my Ram truck, probably should see how it works.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:24 PM   #23
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
I had that particular part #. It was scary thinking they could of failed. If I remember trying the one in my Ford ,as you know it doesn't take much to get a fifth wheel tire off the ground ,jacking it up on the u-bolt. It sure seemed pretty steady to me ,but it wasn't very high. No worries now, I use the 12 tons . Or ,but don't tell anyone the level-up . I have never used the one in my Ram truck, probably should see how it works.

Probably would have felt better using on the 5er then the truck. The axles are pretty colse together and that seems to be a factor. The truck, mine with a 172 or thereabouts wheel bases adds a lever arm that seems to add to the wiggle, especially when some ham handed tire store jock likes to see how tight his Snap on air gun will spin a lug and you are using that supplied lug wrench by having to stand on it.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:58 PM   #24
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
, especially when some ham handed tire store jock likes to see how tight his Snap on air gun will spin a lug and you are using that supplied lug wrench by having to stand on it.
That’s why I have an extended length 4 way lug wrench in my truck.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:54 AM   #25
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
That’s why I have an extended length 4 way lug wrench in my truck.

Not a fan of 4 way lug wrenches as to me they take up too much space and rattle plus don't give me the leverage I need to break loose 165 lb ft of torque times 8 per wheel. I now carry a long, 1/2" drive breaker bar and a like new condition 6 point 21mm impact socket and gave the 4 way wrench to a neighbor.
Old 01-26-2021, 08:13 AM   #26
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
I now carry a long, 1/2" drive breaker bar and a like new condition 6 point 21mm impact socket and gave the 4 way wrench to a neighbor.
Yeah, I have a long 1/2" breakover also in the trailer, but I like the spin factor of the 4 way to make it a little quicker to remove and reinstall the nuts. And it just stays in the bed under the tonneau cover so if it rattles I don't hear it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:35 AM   #27
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Yeah, I have a long 1/2" breakover also in the trailer, but I like the spin factor of the 4 way to make it a little quicker to remove and reinstall the nuts. And it just stays in the bed under the tonneau cover so if it rattles I don't hear it.

That works. I usually use my pancake compressor or at home, the big shop version and my HF Earthquake (well a Earthtremor) air impact gun. I don't hear rattles nowadays after too many loud noises in my past, but my wife can hear pins drop in the next county so that 4 way - went
Old 01-26-2021, 02:32 PM   #28
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I keep a 4 way in the toolbox in the bed behind the cab. If you use pool noodles on the arms ... the 4 way goes into stealth mode.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #29
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
If I had to raise the 5er I would use the level up jacks. I did that once to change out a warn tire while at our private site on a concrete pad. As for the TV I would use the OEM jack that's under the back seat.
But my favorite is the one I keep above the sun visor made out of plastic. The Good Sam Roadside card.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:12 AM   #30
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
If I had to raise the 5er I would use the level up jacks. I did that once to change out a warn tire while at our private site on a concrete pad. As for the TV I would use the OEM jack that's under the back seat.
But my favorite is the one I keep above the sun visor made out of plastic. The Good Sam Roadside card.

The one time I used the Good Sam Roadside ,we finally gave up ,and canceled the call. We were 20 miles outside Kingman ,Az. you would of thought they could have got someone in a reasonable amount of time . We at least got a couple call backs from them ,saying they were working on it . Finally canceled . Took care of the flat tire myself on the fifth wheel . I more or less just wanted to see how well the service worked . In that one time ,not well. I have since canceled my Good Sam Roadside, and went with my Truck, and fifth wheel insurance company ,which appears to be just as good for less .
Old 01-28-2021, 03:35 PM   #31
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
The one time I used the Good Sam Roadside ,we finally gave up ,and canceled the call. We were 20 miles outside Kingman ,Az. you would of thought they could have got someone in a reasonable amount of time . We at least got a couple call backs from them ,saying they were working on it . Finally canceled . Took care of the flat tire myself on the fifth wheel . I more or less just wanted to see how well the service worked . In that one time ,not well. I have since canceled my Good Sam Roadside, and went with my Truck, and fifth wheel insurance company ,which appears to be just as good for less .
I'm sure there are similar stories out there. I just go on my own experience and for me GS is three for three satisfied. Two blowouts on Interstates not near major cities and back on the road within an hour both times. Third time we got hung up on the spare pulling out of a site on a slope. They got there quick enough but the responder ended up using three trucks before he got one heavy enough to do the job. That one took about three hours.

Actually if I had known better how my level up jacks work (incident was when rig was brand new) I would have raised it up and removed the spare and just backed it out. Course at my age I probably couldn't have moved that stinkin' heavy Sailin tire.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 05:07 PM   #32
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
I'm sure there are similar stories out there. I just go on my own experience and for me GS is three for three satisfied. Two blowouts on Interstates not near major cities and back on the road within an hour both times. Third time we got hung up on the spare pulling out of a site on a slope. They got there quick enough but the responder ended up using three trucks before he got one heavy enough to do the job. That one took about three hours.

Actually if I had known better how my level up jacks work (incident was when rig was brand new) I would have raised it up and removed the spare and just backed it out. Course at my age I probably couldn't have moved that stinkin' heavy Sailin tire.
I'm sure ,I have heard that before, then others the service was great. I didn't cancel because of that ,I just checked into my insurance ,and it was better deal. I will find out if its okay, but hopefully not . Thats one service I don't care if I ever use it. Thats the first flat I have ever had out on the road in 58 years of driving, and hopefully the last ,knock on wood .
Old 02-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #33
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Buy a used one..that's how we stay away from iffy stuff.
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote