Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2020, 05:45 PM   #21
sptpfx

M.O.C. #25248
Go ahead and get a 3500 diesel, LWB, 4:10 rear end, exhaust brake and factory towing package.
Go to trailerlife.com and check out whatever truck you are looking at for tow capacity.
I am a full timer with a 3791RD. I am on my 3rd diesel. I upgraded each time a bought a larger 5th wheel.
Now I have no need to upgrade my truck.
I have a 2013 Ram Laramie Longhorn, diesel, LWB, Ext can, dually. 30,000 lb capacity. I pull what ever I want including doziers.
Good luck on your search and decision.

sptpfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:07 AM   #22
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
I can't see us upgrading the LONGHORN... But who knows.. The New Trucks are over 80k not... Could go with either the Ford or the GM...
So don't get a new truck. There are killer deals on low mileage used trucks... barely broken in. We bought our 2017 RAM DRW last year and saved 30K over a comparable 2020. Clean as whistle only 20k miles on it. All the bells and whistles. Unless of course you have to have that new truck smell LOL. 30K goes a long way for other stuff.

to the OP... a 3500 SRW of any brand will do the job for your application but I'd still get a dually... it's the stuff you can't imagine that might get you with a SRW where a DRW would not. Yeah, DRW is more difficult to get into a drive thru window or through it if that is important to you. Yeah, more expense to operate it, but I would not go without it for towing anything over 10,000 GVWR. A choice. I like my safety margin. JMHO.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:37 AM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
At 14300lbs your camper is WELL beyond the Payload capacity of any 3/4 ton truck. Your pin weight will be more like 3000+ lbs

What does your yellow door sticker say your max payload is ?
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #24
rambo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25041
I have the 2020 high country 295RL. I tow with a 2017 RAM 3500 4X4 8ft. bed with the 6.4 HEMI, Anderson hitch, aisun 6 speed trans. We have only put a couple thousand miles on so far. I have zero issues towing. I get 10MPG at 66mph, and 11 at 55. I have to watch my speed as it is easy to get over 70 if you aren't paying attention. I bought my truck last year from a lease turn in, it had the puck system installed from the factory. It had 17 thousand miles and I paid 30k, the ride is nice and I have load capacity to spare.I'll let others debate the 3/4 ton VS one ton issues.
rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:05 AM   #25
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Diesel is the only way to go. They are just made for that reason.........towing. The exhaust brake, tow/haul mode and integrated braking for your trailer is awesome. Coming down the Grapevine in CA, my truck, without even touching the brakes, kept my speed at 65. I'd also say a 2500 will be totally adequate for the trailer you will be towing.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #26
Skyler
Established Member

M.O.C. #26689
Do it right the first time. Either a 1 ton Ram 3500 or Ford F-350. Must be a diesel. Either way, you'll win and have all the power and torque you'll need. We just purchased a 2017 F-350 6.7 Diesel short box with low miles for our 2016 3720RL. Good luck on your search.
Skyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:11 PM   #27
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
Do it right the first time. Either a 1 ton Ram 3500 or Ford F-350. Must be a diesel. Either way, you'll win and have all the power and torque you'll need. We just purchased a 2017 F-350 6.7 Diesel short box with low miles for our 2016 3720RL. Good luck on your search.
Just curious why not a Chevy or GMC diesel. ?
Old 08-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #28
sptpfx

M.O.C. #25248
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
So don't get a new truck. There are killer deals on low mileage used trucks... barely broken in. We bought our 2017 RAM DRW last year and saved 30K over a comparable 2020. Clean as whistle only 20k miles on it. All the bells and whistles. Unless of course you have to have that new truck smell LOL. 30K goes a long way for other stuff.

to the OP... a 3500 SRW of any brand will do the job for your application but I'd still get a dually... it's the stuff you can't imagine that might get you with a SRW where a DRW would not. Yeah, DRW is more difficult to get into a drive thru window or through it if that is important to you. Yeah, more expense to operate it, but I would not go without it for towing anything over 10,000 GVWR. A choice. I like my safety margin. JMHO.
I agree. I use my dually to go grocery shopping, pickup food at drive thru's. It's what you get use to. My wife however, won't drive it except to church. She says it's too big.
I looked at all brands for 2 years before I bought.
GM and Does wanted 5 grand each time you needed repairs. They told me you have to lift the cabs off to work on them. Not my Ram. I'll do my own repairs much cheaper. I'm retired and on a fixed income. Fortunately I don't have to repair it much. I do my own oil changes and fuel filter replacement.
Good luck on your search.
sptpfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:41 PM   #29
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
This is a little late but I've been occupied.

The trailer the OP lists is too much for any 3/4 ton at 14,300. Knowing it has to be a 1 ton sort of shortens the playing field. That trailer is very close in weights to the HC I bought.

Trucks? Now you've got the Ford vs Ram vs GM plus diesel vs gas controversies going at that weight. Nowadays all good more or less.

I don't like diesels and bought the truck and trailer I have to specifically avoid having to buy one. I would have preferred a regular Montana but won't pull one the size I want without a diesel so they were out.

IMO you need about a 4k payload to pull that trailer. I think some of the newer diesels are coming in around that with the right configuration. My truck is right at 4k and gas. I'm happy with my truck pulling about the same weight trailer. I've not been able to scale it yet but knowing what I had in my last trailer and what I moved to this I would say I'm in the 12,800 range. I'll confirm if I can ever get loose to get to a scale.

The engine of choice for that load seems to be a diesel but a gas engine, equipped properly, will tow it just fine; but IMO it is at the very top end of what can comfortably be towed with the newer drivetrains. Mine has the 4.10 axle and 8 speed tranny. Without having both I would be in a diesel. I've owned the same engine with 3.73 and 6 speed and can attest that my trailer would absolutely dog it down.

As far as mountains the diesel is hands down better. The gas will get it done, again, equipped appropriately, and won't be spinning 5500 rpm. I've ran 19 miles at 6% grade and never got over 3500rpm (most of the time less) maintaining the speed limit. This is about the same performance the same engine gave with the 3.73/6 speed and approx. 9300 in tow. It would have been misery with this trailer. All that said, if all I was ever going to do was go up and down mountains in the Rockies I would have a diesel; but that's not my intent.

None of my comments are to start a diesel vs gas argument nor a "my dog's bigger than your dog" kind of conversation. Just an objective view from one doing very close to what the OP proposes.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:54 PM   #30
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Truck tow ratings

https://www.trailerlife.com/trailer-towing-guides/

You can look up previous years.
Have a look at used vehicles.
We got a 2016 F350 dually Lariate. 24,000 miles.
Way cheaper that buying new. We love it.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #31
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
This is a little late but I've been occupied.

The trailer the OP lists is too much for any 3/4 ton at 14,300. Knowing it has to be a 1 ton sort of shortens the playing field. That trailer is very close in weights to the HC I bought.

Trucks? Now you've got the Ford vs Ram vs GM plus diesel vs gas controversies going at that weight. Nowadays all good more or less.

I don't like diesels and bought the truck and trailer I have to specifically avoid having to buy one. I would have preferred a regular Montana but won't pull one the size I want without a diesel so they were out.

IMO you need about a 4k payload to pull that trailer. I think some of the newer diesels are coming in around that with the right configuration. My truck is right at 4k and gas. I'm happy with my truck pulling about the same weight trailer. I've not been able to scale it yet but knowing what I had in my last trailer and what I moved to this I would say I'm in the 12,800 range. I'll confirm if I can ever get loose to get to a scale.

The engine of choice for that load seems to be a diesel but a gas engine, equipped properly, will tow it just fine; but IMO it is at the very top end of what can comfortably be towed with the newer drivetrains. Mine has the 4.10 axle and 8 speed tranny. Without having both I would be in a diesel. I've owned the same engine with 3.73 and 6 speed and can attest that my trailer would absolutely dog it down.

As far as mountains the diesel is hands down better. The gas will get it done, again, equipped appropriately, and won't be spinning 5500 rpm. I've ran 19 miles at 6% grade and never got over 3500rpm (most of the time less) maintaining the speed limit. This is about the same performance the same engine gave with the 3.73/6 speed and approx. 9300 in tow. It would have been misery with this trailer. All that said, if all I was ever going to do was go up and down mountains in the Rockies I would have a diesel; but that's not my intent.

None of my comments are to start a diesel vs gas argument nor a "my dog's bigger than your dog" kind of conversation. Just an objective view from one doing very close to what the OP proposes.
If you go short distances on flat ground a gas motor may suffice. However if you encounter any kind of hilly mountainous Terrain you ain't going to like it. You'd be lucky to get 6 miles to the gallon at a speed of 35 miles an hour. We just drove a 2000 mile trip through Maryland West Virginia Ohio Indiana all through the mountains with the cruise set on 70 no problems whatsoever going up or going down without touching the brakes. Some of the grades were 10%
Old 08-10-2020, 09:35 PM   #32
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
If you go short distances on flat ground a gas motor may suffice. However if you encounter any kind of hilly mountainous Terrain you ain't going to like it. You'd be lucky to get 6 miles to the gallon at a speed of 35 miles an hour. We just drove a 2000 mile trip through Maryland West Virginia Ohio Indiana all through the mountains with the cruise set on 70 no problems whatsoever going up or going down without touching the brakes. Some of the grades were 10%

I've driven and towed with many gas trucks of various configurations and many diesels. Some like a diesel truck, I can make what I buy work for me....and not kill the truck. I OWN a home at 9k feet and take my trailer to our property. I don't need to spend 10k I don't need to nor the ongoing headaches of one. I can afford anything I want....I want simplicity. BTW I don't tow my trailer at 70 in the mountains...or anywhere else for that matter. To each his own.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:22 AM   #33
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I've driven and towed with many gas trucks of various configurations and many diesels. Some like a diesel truck, I can make what I buy work for me....and not kill the truck. I OWN a home at 9k feet and take my trailer to our property. I don't need to spend 10k I don't need to nor the ongoing headaches of one. I can afford anything I want....I want simplicity. BTW I don't tow my trailer at 70 in the mountains...or anywhere else for that matter. To each his own.
I hear you everybody has their own opinion. I have a buddy of mine that drives an 89 Diesel and refuses to replace it he doesn't want all the new fancy stuff in his truck he wants to roll the windows down by hand. Lol

But you have to admit towing with a diesel is a night and day difference over a gas motor
Old 08-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #34
Stan and Linda
Established Member

M.O.C. #21829
Just a suggestion. I dont know where you are located, but go to Kernersville Jeep Chrysler Dodge website. That is where I bought my dually in 2015. They keep over 700 trucks in stock at any given time. Great and easy website and prices. Can give you a great comparison for prices in your local area. They will also deliver up to 250 miles for free.
Stan and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:48 AM   #35
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
The price difference between 3/4 and 1 ton is not very much so I would not consider a 2500. If you get a truck with enough payload the dually decision is a matter of your taste. I believe you'll find a dually handles better though. As for gas vs diesel, again a matter of taste and what kind of roads you are traveling, flat or hills. I know several that have gone gas to diesel but only one that went diesel to gas because at this stage he only travels less than 100 miles to camp. You will find actually the gas truck will have a higher payload than a similar diesel due to the engine weight though.
Bottom line, this is your truck, buy what you like and are comfortable with but I highly recommend at least 1 ton.
BTW, if there was to be a next truck for me, it would be an F-450 dually.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:01 AM   #36
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
My payload is about 4,000 pounds.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #37
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark7 View Post
My weights are very close to the same and I have pulled it with both my '98 Dodge/Cummins 2500 and now my '14 "Ram" / Cummins 2500. Both trucks were single rear wheel... pulls perfectly and never felt uncomfortable.
As noted here many times, diesels and pulling are irrelevant, they will pull anything. However, also as noted before, 250/2500 trucks cannot carry the pin weight and everything else we put in our trucks. Check the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the driver's door post.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:34 AM   #38
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Anybody know of "that" guy, who put a 3 in place of the 2 on their 2500 badges. Well I do.......40+ foot, triple axle toy hauler...Now that is asking for trouble. Not a close friend, but a guy who likes cutting corners and being lazy in everything he does.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:11 AM   #39
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
[QUOTE=BiggarView;1193798]So don't get a new truck. There are killer deals on low mileage used trucks... barely broken in. We bought our 2017 RAM DRW last year and saved 30K over a comparable 2020. Clean as whistle only 20k miles on it. All the bells and whistles. Unless of course you have to have that new truck smell LOL. 30K goes a long way for other stuff.

We searched two years for a Ram, Aisin, 4:10 auto level truck. We found a 2017 with 1200 MILES! Nubs were still on the tires.. It was 20k off msrp.. It's a LONGHORN DUALLY with all the options.. This was NOT a new truck but it was a new truck.. Luxury Brown and Gold... Just telling the other poster to do it right the First time... Don't look for a truck that will do.. Get the Tow beast... and forget it...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #40
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette View Post
My payload is about 4,000 pounds.
payload 6200 here...A 2500 does not have enough payload to tow a 5ver.. Many of the 3500s are over weight on the Rear Axle Weight Ratings.. The Dually is the ONLY way to go for Elbow room... We had a 17 SRW 3500. We were good on all ratings except PAYLOAD... Rear Axle... 300 lbs over..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote