Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
What is the best cell phone co. for RVers

We currently have Verizon Wireless for our cell phones and internet. My son swears by Sprint. We are looking to either upgrade or change companies in Feb. This is the place to ask the questions. We want the best coverage while we travel. With VW we had pretty good coverage in the eastern USA but did have some weak areas. While in northern Alabama we were in a campground that we could not get a signal but our neighbors had a signal with AT&T. I am looking forward to hearing what the MOC family feels is the best company to go with. We are open to all suggestions. Thanks!!

CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:58 AM   #2
Metamorphosis
Established Member

M.O.C. #11517
Best Coverage for Mobile Phone's: Verizon then ATT
Best for Internet/4G-LTE: Millenicom, which resells Verizon, but with more data (20gb/Mo) and a much better price per gb.
check out Technomadia's post for mobile internet technology.
http://www.technomadia.com/2012/12/m...net-for-rvers/
Metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We had AT&T but changed to Verizon because at a particular RV park we go to in Colorado we could not get service on AT&T while my son on Verizon could. My son later changed to AT&T (he could get a significant discount thru his work) and now we get service there he can't.
We have found Verizon to be very good almost every where we go.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
You're going to get different plans since you asked, so I'll give you what we have.
We have Verizon cell and MIFI and used it on our 10,000 mile trip this last summer. We traveled from Ohio to Tenn. and from there west to Cali and north to Wash and back home the northern states. We visited a lot of canyons, national parks and a lot of side trips.
Honestly, we had reception at every nights campground.
So, that's what we have.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:23 AM   #5
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Verizon seems to have coverage where others don't, no I ain't saying that cause I am a retired Verizon tech. I have had AT&T and recently got a MIFI device from T-mobile. Well T-Mobile MIFI is not in the desk drawer and had to get a MIFI from Verizon cause traveling the T-Mobile picked up nothing anywhere. My Verizon MIFI works going down the road just fine.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Verizon for sure. We use the MIFI in the rig and the truck going down the road and the phones everywhere. If you go with Sprint don't go to the middle of Kansas or other areas off the beaten track. When folks start holding their phones up and then go outside at our DQ we know they have Sprint. In the old days no service at all, now it depends on the day and whether one bar will do it for you.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Let me put it this way: We used to have AT&T, now we have Verizon. Nuff said!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We do well with the Verizon wanna be air card from Millenicom for internet.

We do well with Sprint phones. There is a reason for Sprint in our lives, Verizon has been poor at best at the stick built. We live in a dead Verizon hole and we live less than 100 miles from Detroit. Go figure.

If it were not for the family plan, we just might have one phone Sprint and one phone Verizon, that way if one works, the other may not, but, you might be connected.

Campgrounds in the boonies, all bets are off. Stillwell Store and RV Park near the north entrance to Big Bend National Park, no cell, no air card, no telie, no cable. They did however, have kickin fast free wifi! Go figure! LOL

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:50 AM   #9
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
At one point we had both a Sprint and a Verizon cell- In our travels [ we are fulltimers ], we found Verizon to be far superior- We also have a Verizon air card which has worked in the few areas that had no cell coverage- US 50 in the west really is the "loneliest road in the world"- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #10
subra1228
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10766
We're very happy with Verizon. My two cents............
subra1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:43 AM   #11
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Verizon cell and MiFi. We use the cell all over the US and Canada. We only use the MiFi in the US,
to many $$$$ for the MiFi usage in Canada.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Another happy Verizon cell and aircard user.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
Verizon for us too. We have never had a problem.....
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Verizon phone and air card has been working well for us for quite some time.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #15
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This is only a testimonial for Verizon...

We recently only travelled the Western States (California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Montana) with our Verizon Cell phones and a MIFI node (used for two laptops and a multifunction printer) and was always able to connect wherever we were. We didn't always get 4G, but we always got something on the MIFI. Admittedly, our stops were Truck stops (for fuel, food and email), hotels and motels for cerfing the web, emails and faxes, or in large city shopping centers for everything so it's where one would hope service is available. On the move we used our cell phones and did quite a bit internetting along parts of I-5 Interstate in California. We had a couple of cell phone drops on Hwy 97 from Weed to Washington, but it was mostly all okay connections.

At any time we used both laptops, and the printer concurrently and our cell phones as we performed our business duties to communicate with the company, or to plan deliveries to our customers while we travelled all over the west coast.

We were very happy in being able to be "connected" to everyone who tried to contact us. We used cell phones for texting and phone calls, and the MIFI for faxing (via the MagicJack connected to my Laptop), internet access for locating and reserving lodging, checking emails (I get about 200/day including some spam), and looking up map locations for everything. With the MIFI node provided either 4G or 3G internet we used wireless Enet to connect the laptops and a wireless printer to print or scan or fax to others as needed using the Internet. If we wanted to hide (rarely) we just turned everything off. In case anyone is curious about power, I have a 400W inverter in the truck to connect AC for the laptop rechargers and the printer. The MIFI and cell phones were charged either off the same laptops or the 12v power ports in the truck. So everything was online when we wanted it.

I'm not sure AT&T, T-mobile or anyone else would have given us the same reliability. We were pleasantly shocked and had to have some patience that while sometimes there were only just a couple of bars of antenna we still got through each time.

Can anyone else provide a similar testimonial for another provider? I certainly like a comparison since the bad news about Verizon is their prices.

The only thing we missed is having the subscriptions and equipment to allow some family members to know where we were (GPS location) for those times they wanted to know where we were at any time. They were always curious to know and even though they could call us on our Cell phones, from listening to DW's conversations she wasn't always able to quickly tell them where we were because she's not real good or fast at reading the GPS nav maps on the dash.

Gotta love modern technology.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I believe this is one of those things where different packages are suitable for different people. We use AT&T and have been happy with it. I’m not advertising for them or pushing their product; it’s just what works for us. There is one park we visit where Verizon will work and AT&T doesn’t. This is something that a person has to figure out based on the best benefits that personally work in your own situation.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #17
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Verizon Cells and MiFi. Yes we've been a few places where signal was marginal at best but was pretty much the same for everyone else, generally we had signal when others on the other services didn't.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
tanner1070
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11365
Verizon hands down...
tanner1070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:00 PM   #19
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Yup... Verizon without a doubt.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #20
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
We have US Cellular phones and have been very happy with them for the last 15 years. We tried Verizon when we first moved back to Wisconsin and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. Always had problems getting service. We went back to US Cellular and have been happy ever since.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote