Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Insulated Windows

How many folks have insulated windows and do they make that big of a difference?

Can you chnage out the single pane windows with double pane from Keystone?

In lieu of double pane we were thinking of installing the interior shrink film on the frame, does anyone have recommendations for the best product on this?

Thanks,

Les

Old 09-06-2012, 03:26 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When I used the shrink wrap on my old TT I just got the stuff from the local Ace Hardware. It was fine. The double pane windows are something we wouldn't be without, however. It's not just the energy savings they also help with noise reduction. It's also nice not to have water running down the windows on cold humid days.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I do not believe Keystone will swap out the windows.
You may be able to order replacement windows from a window company like Kinro. The film is much cheaper than replacement windows.
I did replace my bedroom window with one from Kinro.
The double pane windows do cut down on air flow because of less screen space.
John.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
We went with dual panes. Like Dick said, help with noise reduction too which is nice. John is correct, the window openings are smaller, but we seem to get plenty of ventilation still. Because of the smaller window openings, we just made sure to add the third Fantastic Fan so we have one in the living room, bathroom, and the bedroom - plenty of air movement.
seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
We ordered our 3400RL (2006) with the dual pane windows. One difficulty we had was that the bedroom egress window would not open for ventilation- it was just an escape window. We had the dealer order an escape window and swap it with the existing one. The new window is not dual pane, but I'll trade that for the ability to get more air flow. I'm not sure if Kinro has a vent type bedroom window that is dual pane. As it was we had a lot of trouble between our dealer and Kinro trying to pick the correct window so at least I'm glad that it fits and we get the improved air flow.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Several of us that got double pane windows had that problem with our bedroom windows, we fixed that problem by ordering double pane sliders (just like over desk) from Kinro. That was back when they would deal direct with us, now you have to run the order through a dealer. We picked them up at the Kinro factory in Elkhart at the rally and it took us about 5 minutes to install them. It is still an escape window but has a slide window (double pane)....
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
They do may escape windows that push out from the bottom same as the standard single pane, because that is exactly what we have in our SOB.