Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #1
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our Ford Balked

Recently we have experienced what I call "balking" when traveling first thing in the morning. Truck was hard starting but would eventually start. Then we would start out and begin picking up speed when the engine would lose all RPMs. I'd back off the accelerator and the RPMs would go back to normal. However, as I increased pressure on the accelerator at about 30 mph, the same thing would occur. This would be repeated over and over (about 7 or 8 times) and then finally everything would be okay. Incidentally 20-30 mph on a 70 mph Interstate highway is not fun!

I didn't use my head at first when the truck was hard starting, but then decided that the glow plugs were not warming up the engine. So, for three nights in a row I plugged in the block heater. The next day for three days, the engine started right up and I experienced no "balking" at all.

I took the truck into the Ford garage in Midland, MI and they couldn't duplicate the problem. I knew they wouldn't be able to because I couldn't make the truck balk. I asked them to check the glow plug setup and they said they couldn't read the codes because of my Banks chip. I know for a fact that this isn't true because the last two garages I visited read the codes in the PCM.

Anyway, I urged them to open her up and check the glow plugs. What they found was the wiring harness to the glow plugs was melted to the glow plugs! Don't know how that happened because the engine has NEVER overheated. Will ask the technician when I go pick up the truck. So far my bill has reached $2,030.00! But that's a whole lot cheaper than buying another truck. Well, I'm getting a new truck one part at a time. If this truck didn't handle so well I would consider another one, but this one likes to haul our rig. So, I'm going to let her continue to do so.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Glad you figured this one out. Hopefully, this helps you gain back some confidence in your TV and goes on for many more miles.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Yes, wiring to the glow plugs on a 7.3 is a common problem where individual wires will melt or rub through the insulation thus causing a good ground. The glow plugs and wiring are quite an easy install. Naturally it becomes very costly when using a Ford Dealer. One ends up paying for them to troubleshoot until they find the problem. Another common problem with the 7.3 is the cam sensor, when the sensor gives up the truck will not start.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 01:47 AM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8e3k0

Yes, wiring to the glow plugs on a 7.3 is a common problem where individual wires will melt or rub through the insulation thus causing a good ground. The glow plugs and wiring are quite an easy install. Naturally it becomes very costly when using a Ford Dealer. One ends up paying for them to troubleshoot until they find the problem. Another common problem with the 7.3 is the cam sensor, when the sensor gives up the truck will not start.
Been there and done that with the cam positioning sensor (twice in 187,000 miles). As for going to the Ford dealer, I've been burned four times by going to what are considered "reputable" shops (A well known transmission shop three times and then another transmission shop in Blythe, CA that was recommended by the towing company Camping World Emergency Road Service had tow me into Blythe, CA). Unsatisfactory work with both companies and warranty work was negligible.

We decided to stick with the people who know. May cost a bit more, but as many on this forum know, I've said over and over, "You get what you pay for." Pay for bad service, get bad service.

Orv
Old 09-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #5
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Orv,
Sorry to hear of your 'meltdown'! But glad you got it caught relatively early. And how well I can relate to the buying a new vehicle one part at a time!

Hope your truck is as good as new when repairs are completed.
Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #6
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
I can understand your desire to keep your 95 Ford going. In our business we have a 97 PSD that we cannot ever image being without. We have a 2001 and eventually will retire our Monty pulling 2006 PSD into the working fleet, but fully expect to retire the 2001 before the 97. Ford PSD 94-97 trucks were some on the best trucks ever built. We have always regretted turning in our 2005 PSD for the 2006 5 years ago and wished we turned in the 2001 in its place... Hopefully, we will not need to make another purchase until at least 2015 or so when the current generation Ford build PSDs are rid of any major design issues...

Anyway, we experienced wiring harness issue with the both the 95 and 97 years ago. The fixes then ran closer to $1K but then again that was about a decade ago, you know when the Diesel option was a staggering $1300.

Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:38 AM   #7
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
Sorry Orv, did not mean to dispute the Ford Dealers, just comparing cost to doing similar work in our shop with certyified mechanics and know what the end resultant is. There are good shops and bad ones I do agree, just like the RV world!!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8e3k0

Sorry Orv, did not mean to dispute the Ford Dealers, just comparing cost to doing similar work in our shop with certyified mechanics and know what the end resultant is. There are good shops and bad ones I do agree, just like the RV world!!
No problem. My main reason for turning to Ford and maybe the additional cost is that I can go to any Ford dealer anywhere for warranty work. One of cases where I was burned told me I had to haul my truck 900 miles to their shop or they wouldn't stand behind the warranty. Well, their national headquarters got me $1,000 from them anyway. One my other reputable station burnings was for a transmission failure that failed in 10 months. They repaired it but I had to have it removed and shipped to them at my expense (from Texas to California) and then replaced at my expense. They had told me they would pay for the removal and replacement. They didn't. I was without a vehicle for 30 days. Then less than five months later that transmission failed again and I was really stuck. The tow truck took us to the nearest facility which happened to be the Ford garage in Stayton, OR. The service advisor called the transmission shop in Blythe, CA for permission to work on the transmission and were told not to touch the ?#@%& thing. Well we were stuck and I okayed Ford to go ahead and replace the transmission. That transmission has now been operating for over four years with no problems. Needless to say, short of spending a lot of money and staying in Blythe, CA for who knows how long, to take the guy to court, I chalked it up to experiences that I'm no longer willing to have.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #9
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We have a 97 F250 with a 7.3 and banks chip including exhaust, 5 speed manual 4X4 long box super cab that we bought new. The truck has 226,000 Kms on it and the only things that were replaced were the cam sensor, starter solenoid, and the solenoid for the glow plugs. No other mechanical problems. Everything else is original; truck has been used to pull all it's life. It will stay in the family for ever.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Orv, your truck hasn't overheated but it sure sounds like the glowplugs did! Any idea what controls the heating of the glowplugs, shutting them off, etc? That sounds like the place to start looking.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Orv, your truck hasn't overheated but it sure sounds like the glowplugs did! Any idea what controls the heating of the glowplugs, shutting them off, etc? That sounds like the place to start looking.
Steve,
Ford garage told me it the melting was due to age and heat. Apparently the insulation cracked causing a short circuit. Truck runs great right now. Though it cost me an arm and a leg, it was cheaper to keep fixing it rather than going through the hassle of trying to buy another truck.

Orv
Old 09-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #12
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
I love it, even when our trucks brake down we refuse to leave em. Trucks aren't just for RVing anymore.
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote