Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
F250 6.0L broke, now fixed, how long?

Well, I'm in recovery from an attempted end of August trip...

Travel north on 87 intent to go camping for week at Alpine Lake campground on one of the lakes there... Dropped off highway to refuel when we notice black/grey smoke billowing from truck when depressing accelerator.

Began search for assistance but to no avail as it was Saturday 5:30 pm...so, when to plan B...find local Walmart which was located (Rensselaer) and parked in area that store employee suggested was Ok to occupy over-night. Bought two 7 gallon "blue" containers and filled in garden center with water, poured into fresh water tank.

Recruited brother-in-law to come next day and tow trailer home...so, 5th wheel not easy to find someone that can help. Cranked up bat-wing and hunkered down to watch Nascar race brooding over what could have failed???

Trip back home (Route 9 south) billowing Diesel fuel for 82 miles...

Lucky me a mechanic friend who works nights stepped up, 3 afternoons into my vacation, in my driveway, 2 injectors, 1 EGR valve, early oil change, 3x reclamping blown-off down pipe and my truck is running back to normal.

I'm now on the got to "get over it" as someone suggested, stuff happens.

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
So noneck How many miles are on the truck as i have a 2006 with 79000 and wonder how long as i replaced the turbe 2wice now and last week it was a fuel computer they said was 700.00 but i pd the 100.00 but wonder how long will it run . am told the police and amdlance trucks last to about 80000 but the hours on them is way up as they ideal all the time ;;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We had an '04 6.0L that blew its first engine at 58,000 mi. We replaced with another new engine. That one lasted 51,000 mi before we began to see the same kind of smoke you saw. 7 out of 8 injectors were out of tolerance/spec. By the way, we were 2 months out of warranty. At that point, we had the Ford Service people replace the 2 worst ones ($1560) then drove the truck across the street to a Dodge dealer. We drove out in a 2010 Dodge 3500 Big Horn with the Cummins diesel. We have been happy ever since.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hi Sailer,
Truck has 104,000 miles, I do all the preventive maintenance work...and recently can add fuel injectors and EGR valve to my list. It is running like before just does damage to one's confidence level. Right, the 6.0L does not like to sit idling...I got the latest Ford programming updates for the PCM, FICM and Transmission...
Hi lasater,
Not able to just go buy another vehicle, when I originally purchased my motivation was the torque shift transmission appeared a longevity item...and Diesel was supposed to be 250,000 durability item. BTW, your sig picture looks like a Ford?
This is sapping the fun out vacation with my monty.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote