Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Air Pin Box and Air Hitch ??

Fifth Wheels
Do you need both, an Air type pin box and an Air type Hitch for a nice tow ride ?

Also, if I find a new fifth Wheel without the Air Ride pin box, can a dealer add an Air Ride type pin box ?

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The air type pin box helps soften the ride mostly for the trailer at the pin, the air type hitch helps soften the ride mostly for the truck (and persons inside). Air isn't the only way to go. But this only addresses the RV pin and the TV hitch contact points. I really don't think both are needed, but it seems highly dependent on what product is picked and you tolerance levels.

For the other areas of concern there are the suspensions for the RV and TV. With a 2500 (3/4 ton) air bags (or other addons) would also help soften the TV's suspension and prevent the headlights from turning into high beams to oncoming traffic. There are also add-on suspensions for the RV's axles to provide more softening there too.

The bottom line is none of this is really needed because the RV and TV are designed to be towed in this manner without any additional help as long as the ratings are maintained. But as the loads become greater there will be additional sagging, chucking, bucking, and clanging and are generally regarded as nuisances. The additional air or suspension products just mean more COMFORT to minimize the chucking, bucking and noise which hopefully results in less wear and tear on hitch and suspension components and overall contents of the RV and TV. This is especially meaningful for our bodies and minds.

Your tolerance levels (and wallet) will probably determine your actual needs. Hopefully others will post the order of preference for their rigs. Here's mine:

TV suspension air bags (rear only) - installed
RV suspension (both axles) - wish list
RV pin box (air or Morryde)- wish list
TV hitch air suspension - very low on the list (but if money was not at object.....)

I hope this helps and many others post their experiences and opinions. Please don't go on mine alone.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I have the basic Mor/ryde suspension and added a 5th Airborne pin box...they do fine.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It depends on the dealer, but they will certainly add anything you'd like if you are willing to pay for it and if the dealer's service bays are equipped to do so. Sometimes they might just send it out to a place to have it done and you pay extra with them as the middleman so be careful and shop around before you execute. The good thing about these is that you don't have to rush to get them.

Like Tom mentioned he uses the Morryde (not air, but it does the same thing) and has an air-equipped pin box and he's happy with those. Excellent! Many DRW owners do not need an additional air suspension because of the minimal sag and they are comfortable with the ride they have.

I had nothing (didn't know about anything either), then gained some comfort with the TV air bags to solve the sag and headlight problem. Every owner's experience may vary, but at least I was able to know the money I spent was worth it because it solved my immediate problem. I have since learned that I don't have to tolerate the other ride problems we now experience. Now I am ready for a trailer suspension or RV pin box mod next on the list to solve the trailer ride and some chucking at the pin. Unfortunately, I have a small wallet and a long list of other wanna-haves.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Have a Trailair pin box (air ride) and Center Point air bags (Trailair also) on the trailer. We have been very happy with them. We do NOT tie anything down when we travel. Just a couple of cabinet doors.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have the MorRyde hitch pin (not air) and a Trailersaver Air Hitch in the truck. Our first equipment was a standard Lippert hitch pin and a Husky rigid hitch in a 2500 Chevy. It was a very stiff ride. We then added the MorRyde Hitch pin and got some relief from "chucking", the forward and aft motion. We then went to the 3500 dually with the TrailerSaver air hitch and noticed a big difference in ride and the contents in trailer stayed put. We then went to Mor Ryde in Elkhart, IN and had their Independent suspension added to the trailer. We feel we have the best of all worlds. This process was not cheap but we plan on keeping this trailer for ten years or so. I would not necessarily recommend this to everyone, but as a fulltimer, and someone wanting to keep their unit a long time, we feel we have done the best we can do to add to the longevity of our unit. Others may differ, that's fine, we all have our druthers......I hope this helps somewhat.

BTW: We added the Goodyear G614RST tires this year also.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I think either would be good, I have the 5th airborne pin box and it sure made a difference, If you had a MorRyde pin box, I would think you would appericiate the air ride hitch. It looks to me that the MorRyde would stop most of the front to back jurking or chucking but would do like to soften the ride of the hith pin. I have air bags on the TV and the 5th airborne and the two make for a good ride.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:52 AM   #8
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
The value of an air hitch or an air pin box depends partly on the design, but the effect on the truck and trailer depend a lot on the relative weight of each.

My truck weighs 17,000 pounds (versus the trailer's 13,000), and, even with a rigid hitch, the truck hardly ever felt what was happening to the trailer. But, with the truck rear axle rated for 20,000 pounds and a pin weight of only about 2500 pounds, the poor trailer was getting pounded.

I started with a Trailair pin box hitch, but it didn't fit the configuration of the truck bed, so I changed to a Trailersaver. The effect on the trailer was immediate and obvious. The twisting (side to side) stress on the trailer frame was virtually eliminated because the hitch rotates side to side as well as front to back. The up and down stress that the truck exerted on the trailer, and the trailer exerted on the truck, was softened considerably; there was very little that moved inside the trailer except over the roughest roads.

When the truck weighs less than the trailer, it will tend to be pushed around a lot more by the trailer, and the same hitch will benefit both the truck and the trailer; you'll feel a lot less "chucking".

When you're looking for a hitch, concentrate more on how well the design fits your needs and how convenient it is to connect/disconnect, remove, avoid hitting your head on, etc. Back that up with recommendations and a test drive when you can.

And more isn't always better. If the suspension gets too soft, it can make control difficult. Just think about a car that has no shock absorbers.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have the Trailer-saver air hitch and would not have any other hitch. I realize they are not cheep but with the roads that we have today they keep from pounding the truck and trailer. You get what you think is best and go from there.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote