Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Something to Think About!!!!

For those of you looking at buying a new TV, I would think twice about getting the in-dash nav system, at least on the GM Products. They are not upgradeable unless you buy a new disc every two years ($200 each) and you cannot upload anything to them. I have had my unit (which the dealer threw in because it was already in the truck I bought), for two years and WE don't care for it much. You cannot use it pick POI's or do much of anything while moving (which is a good safety factor IF the driver was the only one using it), however, my navigator hates not being able to put anything in unless we are stopped, which means I have to pull over anytime she wants to use it. Save your cash and get a good aftermarket Garmin that you can upgrade and use on the fly. We have a Magellan Roadmate 1475 that does more than our indash unit, but we don't use it much. Next year we may make the change and use it as primary.......I can't speak to the other Brands of truck but that is the story about GM's.

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
The one in our 08 dodge is $300 Cdn so when we start traveling in a couple of more years we will pick up a Garmin
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Phil
Someone told me that the GM's GPS could be changed by going into the settings and agree to the warning about programing while moving, or something like that. But on the Ford we cannot. We can't get it to work right even when we''re stopped. It has a mind of it's own.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
When we were in Canada a few months back, my sister has that new in dash navagation system in there 2009 Ford F350 Super Duty, and we found it interresting that when we passed into Canada the voice would not announce anything or give directions anymore.it would show the map and road we were on but thats it. once we were back in the USA ( Day trip ) the announcer would return and give directions again, we were wondering if the program only works in the USA for verbal directions. but on the other hand my Garmin was chatty Cathy up there.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
We've had several in dash, factory models. The first three were in 3 Lincoln Navigators. We also had to wait until stopped to make changes, but it never really bothered us. We never did buy the upgrades at $200 a wack! In our current TV, the F350, we have an in dash, but it is an after market brand. We still have to stop to make most changes, and I don't know what it takes to upgrade. Probably a new truck. The one in our VW CC is the best of the lot, with real time traffic data provided by Sirrius Satellite radio. I think upgrades are available on line, but have not used any yet. I also have a Garmin, so we are covered in any event.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 AM   #6
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
When we bought our 2007.5, it came with two free upgrades. We have received the first of the two. It at least eliminated having to hit ok on the diclaimer each time you start the truck. It only asks every so often which is a bit of improvement. The feeling I get is that they don't come out with the updates very often.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:44 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with you on the factory in-dash unit. Have one in my wife's '08 Expedition. Although it works fine, the limitation of not being to do much while the vehicle is moving and the $200 update would keep me from buying another.
I have a Garmin Nuvi 765T in my truck that works great. And I bought the lifetime update for a little over $100 that allows me to update it every 3 months for the life of the unit if I want for no additional charge.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have an aftermarket in-dash unit. Because it was more than just a GPS (AM/FM/DVD/CD/Music Library, etc.) it was a small fortune to buy and I had it installed with amplifiers, subwoofers, new speakers and I was too lazy to put it all in by myself. Overall it was a good deal even with installation but still pricey. The GPS part is upgradeable for about $250 and I have not done this yet.

Two major irritations about integrated in-dash systems, 1. Not able to use GPS while moving (that means the passenger can't make the changes either) & 2. Can't use it in another vehicle.

I have used in-dash system from BMW & Mercedes and these allow on-the-fly changes and Ford does not - wake up America. Unfortunately, U.S. carmakers are deathly afraid of litigation from inattentive drivers and prevent this - but what if you have a passenger? Aren't the passengers the ones to want to stop or deviate from what was originally programmed. This decision was a little shortsided. After all, with some of the entertainment systems in vehicles isn't the driver messing with these too? Can you imagine not being able to tune a station while the car is moving?

On the other hand I have also installed aftermarket systems from Alpine and now Pioneer. With some investigation you might be able to find out how to rewire whatever is used for the on-the-fly safety signal (parking brake lead, trans Park lead, etc.) I did this with the Alpine units with great success.

For the Pioneer unit it was a procedural override (At the power startup menu, turn the headlights on, then off during the boot procedure). The problem was I would often forget so I wired the power lead to a toggle switch and if I forgot and was already on the road I would power cycle and use the headlights during its boot process and we would be able to use all features of the unit while driving. Then, there was a free firmware upgrade to fix a problem that I was having with it (if the interior was too hot and we live in the California desert, then the unit would not start up). After downloading the upgrade this solved the heat startup problem but they disabled the headlight override procedure. Another search on the internet and I found the wires to disable it, but it is not working (I think my wiring job is faulty). I picked the Pioneer because it is fast (HD based), it doesn't get lost (usually have 5 to 7 satellites available in any weather), over 11 million well organized POIs, large 7" screen well positioned in the dash, very good options for customizing routes and displaying routing formats while underway. Right now the only two problems is features being disabled while moving and not being portable (but the other car has its own GPS). If I can get the override solved I'll be quite happy.

I guess the best solution would be an aftermarket stand alone unit you can take from vehicle to vehicle, and doesn't care if your vehicle is moving, and has less expensive upgrades, but a big problem with them is their screens are so small and they are hard for me to read. I have gotten very spoiled by my 7 inch GPS screen. Maybe there is a mobile GPS that has an ext jack for a larger screen and now there's another thing to install and mount. I haven't checked.

In summary, U.S. implementations for in-dash GPS systems suck! It's hard to tell who supplies the system and whichever one they pick, they aren't buying ALL the features to save cost - for example, Canadian voices are not provided, mapping is weaker, they aren't paying for the best in guidance systems, and the unit just plain fouls up. They aren't worth the money. The reason these are so expensive from the dealer is because of MARKUP (not features)! I am pretty sure the aftermarket version from their supplier is MUCH better, and MUCH cheaper!

So much to know and picking one solution is not 100% satisfactory (to me). Can anyone tell I have been around automotive GPS systems for about 10 years?
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
the new gm in dash is good if you get the turn by turn throgh on star. yes it is limited without onstar.but like any hand held after market gps after a couple of years they too need updating at about 100 dollars .just different shoes for different feet
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
et2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8920
We have a 2010 dodge ram with the in dash nav/media. We were able to detour to POI's along our route while driving to Yellowstone this year. Example: looking for gas stations that sold diesel ahead of our current position.
et2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tbhd2

Phil
Someone told me that the GM's GPS could be changed by going into the settings and agree to the warning about programing while moving, or something like that. But on the Ford we cannot. We can't get it to work right even when we''re stopped. It has a mind of it's own.
Dennis, I tried as you said but, for the life of me, can't find anything like that anywhere.....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #12
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I never considered an indash nav unit. We use our laptop--big screen, great software--DeLorme, easy to use, easy to see. I am traveling with a friend who is using a Garmin. If you are familar with Astoria, OR. His Garmin had him drive up 8th street and down 7th to a Lewis & Clark Golf & RV park that should have been reached easily by going on US 101 Business--like I did. Software upgrades are about $49/yr. Garmin failed the REAL TEST!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote