Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #21
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
OhioRVHawk, lots of people have put in their opinions and they are all good. When I knew I was going to get a 5th wheel (Monty 3400) I debated between a 3/4 ton and a one ton. I have NEVER regretted getting the 2008 one ton GMC K3500 (K stands for four wheel drive) and it was only about $1000.00 more. Money well spent. Since it was going to be my "retirement rig" I went for everything. The SLT package, which included pretty much everything. Heated leather seats (BOY do I love those), power sun roof, extra cab (NOT crew cab) 8 foot box (only thing you can get with the one ton) and all the other goodies. Personal choice, I went with SINGLE rear wheels instead of dual ones. Reason, this rig is also driven and parked "in town" so the duals just stuck out too far for me. I have had NO problems with stability towing the 3400. The Duramax/Allison combo is great. It just "walks" up the hills with no problem. The downhill "grade braking feature" works very well too.....once you get over hearing/watching the RPM's hit 33 to 3400 RPM, but GM reassures me this is quite safe and normal. As far as mileage, I set my cruise more for RPM's then MPH. On the open road, I set it to maintain about 16-1700 RPM, which is about 60 MPH. The Duramax's peak torque range is at 1600 RPM, hence my choice. It very seldom shifts down, and I get 11 to 12 MPG. As they say, it is an individual choice, it's whatever you like. We are just saying what worked for us! Good luck.

I just looked again and noticed some talk about traction in snow. Last December, Portland (OR) had the worst snowfall in years. Some places drifted three feet. I know, I know, some MOC'ers will laugh at that, but Portland is famous for RAIN, not SNOW. If we get an inch, it shuts the city down. Anyway, I had to get to work, so I filled three drums of water in the back of the truck. NOTHING stopped me. Traction was great, and never slipped once. When done, just tip the drums over and drain them out. Anyway, just two more cents worth. Hope it helps.

2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 PM   #22
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
RE: Snow plow
The extra weight of a diesel engine over a gasser leaves less available front axle GAWR for a plow.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 03:15 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Snow plow package on our 08 F-350 Diesel gives us a front axle GAWR of 6K...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #24
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If sticking with GM, be careful when considering a SRW. GM's SRW one ton only has a 700# increase over the 3/4 ton when it comes to GVWR...9,900 vs 9,200. And, the SRW only comes in a long bed...so by the time you add the extra weight of the one ton and the extra weight of a long bed, you've only gained about half that 700# in actual cargo capacity. That's why I'm driving a dually.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #25
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

If sticking with GM, be careful when considering a SRW. GM's SRW one ton only has a 700# increase over the 3/4 ton when it comes to GVWR...9,900 vs 9,200. And, the SRW only comes in a long bed...so by the time you add the extra weight of the one ton and the extra weight of a long bed, you've only gained about half that 700# in actual cargo capacity. That's why I'm driving a dually.
The difference in weight capacity between the 1 ton SRW and DRW is because of the two extra tires. Everything else is the same.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #26
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

The difference in weight capacity between the 1 ton SRW and DRW is because of the two extra tires. Everything else is the same.
I was comparing the 3/4 ton with the SRW one ton...not the dually.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 PM   #27
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sierra 117

RE: Snow plow
The extra weight of a diesel engine over a gasser leaves less available front axle GAWR for a plow.
I believe you're correct in this sense as the GAWR is close without the plow....

Plus my understanding is that GM does not recommend any snow plows on these trucks account the frame is not designed to have all that wieght bouncing around on the front of the truck with the plow raised. Cracked frame is likely.

This makes sense to me as vehicles now days are designed to crush in a wreck absorbing as much energy as possible instead of the occupants.
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote