Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #1
OhioRVHawk

M.O.C. #9876
Send a message via AIM to OhioRVHawk Send a message via MSN to OhioRVHawk Send a message via Yahoo to OhioRVHawk
New TV Decision, and Im lost

Hello,

I am a newbee to the forums, I love the wide range of topics here, but I do need some help.

I am most likely going to get a new 3665RE - 2010 Montana Model. looks like the right floor plan for me. now the really tough question is a truck for it. I looked at GMC mainly because IMHO the GMC is a better truck, and I have had great luck with GM in my life.

I have tried to read some older posts about trucks and GMC's and the GVW and other stuff. Sorry Im so lost with that stuff, it actually gives me a headache to figure it out, so I am asking this, I will purchase a new/used truck for the new Montana (about mid summer) now with all those number GVW and stuff. what would safely pull a new 3665RE - 2010 Montana? what would I need to be safe, be able to use a plow so I may use it to plow my new homes driveway. (cant shovel snow, back problems) so a 4WD dual would be a must.

I looked at GMC's site, to ""build your own"" and it sort of sucks that you cant choose what you want to get. I know i would need a (I Think from what i read here) a Rear Axle, 4.10 ratio? is that correct? I thought it would be a lower gear. but again lost..

I had heard that the Duramax 6.6L Turbo Diesel V8 is the best to get for pulling. now when i select the option for the Duramax it will only let you select a Vortec 6.0L with a Rear Axle, 3.73 ratio?? again confused. I was a mechanic years ago, and from what i remember, you can do what ever with anything. but its the 20th century so who knows now.

can someone guide me in the correct direction? for pulling/towing power? easy for me (again major back problems) I do plan on doing some major traveling too with the new Montana, like driving through West Virginia, and between Georgia and Tennessee, and west. I don't wish to be slower than a Semi in low gear, going up the steepest grade.

I hope I explained what I am looking for. and the usage for it. I honestly dont want to go with any motorhomes, to me they suck, pretty yes, also yea you can get into a NASCAR area with ease, but they are bulky and i dont want to tow a car behind it to go places. so suggestions for me will be helpful.

Thanks In Advance, and sorry about my crappy spelling. never was any good with spelling, and at 48, lol I am still learning.

OhioRVHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I have a 2009 3665RE and pull it with a 3500 dually diesel. It pulls grades just fine. I feel that I have the right truck for my trailer.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Are you getting the Allison transmission? Which only comes with the 3.73 and works good,
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:31 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
garyka is correct, rear gears are not an option with the Allison. I like NCFischers have the 6.6 Turbo and 6 speed Allison and have pulled practically every mountain in WV and some in neighboring states with no problems. Between Sandstone Mountain (I-64 West), Fancy Gap (I-77 Va.,NC border) and I-68 from Cumberland, Md. to Morgantown, WV, I believe if it will pull those it will pull just about anything. I have not been West so can't address the Rockies, etc. Keep in mind that any manufacturer will suffice for pulling power, but if you prefer the GM/Chevy line, all I can add is you should have no concerns with your choice. And last but not least, welcome to the forum.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 AM   #5
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
It's not all that much of a "tough question." Since you like the D/A...you've done the hard part. I agree with the above posters. The Duramax/Allison is a great combo. It only comes with the 3.73, which is fine. Get the dually, you'll be glad you did.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:19 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The proper selection of any of the big three(or however many of them are left) will do the job. Many folks call me a member of the "weight Police" of which I will admit to being a proud member. That means I will suggest that you research all the specifications of the camper and the trucks and choose the truck that stays within the specifications. Dong the research yourself is part of the learning curve. At least you will know what you should purchase and there will be no surprises down the road.

BTW.. I am also a crappy speller but you can download iespell and it will make you look like a genius(i did not know how to spell genius..but iespell did.)
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
OhioRVHawk, the GMC is a good selection and if your getting the Duramax/Allison it will have the 3.73 and the Combo is proven. I have owned the GMC 3500HD 4x4 with all options and have pulled the Rockies with a much heavier 5th wheel. The 4.10 rear gear even if you could get it really isn't needed with the Duramax/Allison. The GM Trucks will do a great job. But as said there are plenty of options. Don't have a answer about the Snow plow, thats why we go South to get away from Snow and cold. However we did come back North to get away from Ida. but will return South on Wed. You have done the research, and now the rest is just working the numbers. Good Luck and have fun. GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
With the D/A and it's 3.73 gear ratio you won't need the 4.10. To change it is a little over $1,000.00 and you'll be throwing you money away. The standard D/A is plenty of truck.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #9
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
OhioRVHawk, I have the 2008 Silverado 3500 and i have pulled mine with out any problems,i love the ride of the Chevy as i have owned 4 fords and i realy enjoyed them also butthey just dont have the ride in my opinion but there all good trucks you just need to try and drive them to see.........Allen
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I will go out on a limb and say that any of the 1 ton pickups will do the job, at least the diesels will. I really think it boils down to what kind of goodies you want and how good a ride you want. Duallies are a pain in the keester to drive around towns and park, however, I have one. Some say the dually adds stability, some will argue this. Don't know for sure but I feel safer with the dually. I have heard the duallies are the pits in the snow. Too much rubber on the ground for slipping and sliding. Ford also has there 450 and 550 pickups which can pull a great deal more, heard they have higher rear ends, so less MPG? Sorry to say this, but don't rely on the dealers when it comes to weights nor the Montana dealer when he talks weights. Your type of camping will determine your weight. The more you travel, the more weight you will haul, I would venture a guess, and probably get shoned, but most fulltimers are overwight somewhere. You should talk weight with folks that have your same rig. Many folks will want to give you there weights but unless they have the same rig and year they mean nothing.

I didn't do my homework well enough and ended up with a nice trailer, but not very good for fulltiming and too small a truck in the beginning. Cost me some bucks to get it right. Don't put yourself in this position unless you have to.

Good luck and keep the questions coming. You will be investing quite a few bucks so don't feel any question is not worth asking. It is usually those that get you in trouble.

Good Luck with your research and hope to see you on the road someday....

Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
OhioRVHawk

M.O.C. #9876
Send a message via AIM to OhioRVHawk Send a message via MSN to OhioRVHawk Send a message via Yahoo to OhioRVHawk
Thanks all so far for the info on all of this, I knew when i came across this site from another site. it would be in my best interest. this is mainly the reason that I am asking before I do go out and get a new truck. or a 2009. I want to make sure that I do have the pulling power to do just about anything i want to. right now I have a 30' SunnyBrook Pull Trailer. and using a G20 to pull it, and I do know about adding more than i need to when pulling it. I found out the hard way when the first time I went I filled up the fresh water tank, (55 gal) thats I believe 440lbs, not to mention the grey water tank was full. (added another 500+) and headed to Salt Fork State Park, (I-77 and I70 in Ohio) I hit those hills with a load of water, and not to mention I made the other mistake of filling the trailer with 2 weeks worth of food. (I did a 2 week trip there) Dumb Dumb Dumb move. I always thought there would be no way to ever get below 30mph on a freeway. but I did.

Does it make a difference in if it is a work truck, or a slt or something like that? I noticed that the options are extreemly different beten the 2, the work truck series has a trailer package. and the other dont. whats the difference if any?
Old 11-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Mine isn't a work truck but I use it for one when I'm not travelling. I bought it used and it had all the goodies in it. The running gear is the same so either way, you'll be getting the same power train.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:00 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The only difference would be the creature comfort level in the cab. Leather seats are nice, but not a necessity. Heated seats are nice, but not a necessity. Bucket seats are nice, but not a necessity. Rear seat entertainment center is nice, but not a necessity (no wait, I have teenage daughters, it is a necessity!!! See signature for explanation). You get the picture though, your comfort level and distances to pull should dictate the interior comfort level you desire.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:07 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OhioRVHawk

Does it make a difference in if it is a work truck, or a slt or something like that? I noticed that the options are extreemly different beten the 2, the work truck series has a trailer package. and the other dont. whats the difference if any?
You can order the trailer/tow package on any of the three models, so don't let that influence you. As pointed out, the different trim levels resort in various creature comforts. Some of these can be added after the fact cheaper than factory, some not.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
OhioRVHawk, all of our Duramax's have been loaded up, the best package that was available that year model. Is it nessary, no it isn't however once you get those options like, heated seats, have to have leather with that option, remote start, its really just a personal choice. The only other factor is the selling or trade in value. But just those two options is a great selling point for me. But again its a choice we have. Good Luck with your decision. Drive the base level and then drive the loaded up one, there is a big difference. GBY........
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:52 AM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
As fulltimers, we spend a lot of time in our truck. We wanted the creature comforts, so we paid for them. Just something else to think about.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:42 AM   #17
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
OhioRVHawk,
You will love the Duramax for pulling the Monty. I would suggest the one ton BUT you decide if it's a dually. Concerning the snow plow. I may have some bad news for you. Go to the Western or Meyer snow plow web site and they both have a "build your own system" section. It matches the size plow you want to buy with the kind of truck you have. They don't recommend diesel. My Duramax / Allison is a crew cab short bed 4x4 with all weather tires and it SUCKS as an off road vehicle. I live up a 1.3 mile dirt road on a mountain with loose sand on hard packed decomposed granite. In dry weather I have to use 4 wheel drive to get through the sandy areas. Pushing snow with my Duramax is out of the question. I suspect it is the longer wheel base. Pulling the Monty I go up fine in 2 wheel drive. I use a gas Dodge 3/4 Ton 4x4 manual transmission to push snow. Back to the dually issue. I had a neighbor living on the same mountain with a dually. With what little weight he had on his drivers spread over 4 tires he couldn't go anywhere in the snow. He ended up taking off two tires in the winter time so he could get around. It made his truck look really ugly but it worked. Hopefully others will come along and offer their first hand experience in the snow with a dually truck. Good luck with your decision,
John
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:17 AM   #18
Dmaxdon
Established Member

M.O.C. #8452
My 08 Chevy 3500 is my first dually and I was expecting it to be poor in the snow but the new Eaton lock up rear end has made this my best ever snow truck, far better than my previous 05 SRW F350 4x4. I live on a hill and we had so much snow last year, I had to drive my kids to work because regular cars could not move. I even played around in 12" of snow with the 4x4 turned off and the truck never got stuck. The Limited slip rear end in my Ford trucks was useless compared to this Eaton locker.
Only draw back to the locker, on wet pavement beware, as the rear end swings out real quick if you apply too much throttle.
Dmaxdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #19
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
If you have a bad back, the SLT seats may be the ticket. They are for me - one of the most comfortable driver seats that my bad back has ever sat in.

Our dually has been great in the snow. In a bad storm last winter, we tooled along, watching cars sliding off and spinning out. I didn't know about the Eaton locking rear end, so I'll have to see if we have it. I have experienced the dually drift on a wet road, though!
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #20
OhioRVHawk

M.O.C. #9876
Wow you all are awsome with your thoughts and information. you know with this info, and me wanting the plow on the front end, I forgot that you can go to another place to get the plow setup, Duh? but that helped me, I really hate looking online for options, you choose 1 thing and it says you cant get this or that, but thats ok though. getting the plow after will be the deal to do.

as for creature comforts, yea considering the driving I will be doing when i get the RV and Truck, I will need to have all the comfort i can get. I have 2 lower blown disks in my back, and 2 in my neck, so anything that helps will be perfect for me. (hence the reason i mentioned the disability) I do drive allot now with the present pull trailer i have now, up to 16 hours or more. thankfully I have a Van that has the creature comforts to pull it. (yes I did say Van) its a 3/4 ton, has a 350 in it so pulling is not that much of a problem, unless i go down I-75 through Tennessee, but As I said If I go witht eh 2010 model the 36 foot 5er, comfort and ease will be the biggest thing for me. I love going out with the RV, and full timing is a future option for me, so making sure that i get the correct equipment will be the priority # 1 for me.

I love that you all have been giving me options and somethings to think about, before i make the final decision. trust me its helping. and pulling my decision together much better. thanks to all who have posted, and this comversation, its helping me trust me.

besides I am a Blond ") with grey hairs, lol sometimes it helps to use a nerf bat to my head