Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
AC froze up

Used my new Mountaineer for the first time over Easter weekend.
The first night it was pretty warm outside, but then cooled of nice.
The AC cooled the trailer off but then froze up to the point where no air was blowing. Hm..... the Unit worked fine at home.
I have a friend who owns an AC Service Co. and he showed me where the sensor is that prevents the Unit from freezing.
He removes the Air Filter and puts his finger on the sensor to show me specificaly where the sensor is. In doing so he notices the sensor is not shoved up againts the coils as it should be, so he pressed the sensor against the AC coils.

He thinks that may be my problem. The next night the AC ran flawless all night long

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #2
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
What does the sensor look like, I also have freezing. Thanks Ron
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:46 AM   #3
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Can this sensor bounce off during travel? This is a GOOD thing to know about - even if we've never had the problem - YET !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Remove your air filter and look above the control box. You will see the fins for the ac and the sensor is attached to the fins and has two wires coming down to the control box. The sensor is atached to a piece of metal and that is slid in between the fins.
Mine went bad last summer and had to replace the sensor.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:41 PM   #5
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
We have had our AC freeze up too. Just the last couple of days. Lo and behold, the anti freeze up sensor had fallen off the coil. When I adjusted it and stuck it back on, all is fine. Thanks so much for this thread. What a coincidence this info should arrive right on time.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 07:21 AM   #6
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
The sensor falling out is a common problem. The solution is to tie wrap it in. Just look around, and you will find something to tie wrap the sensor wires to. This takes the weight off the sensor, and it will not fall out. Did mine a year ago, and no more problems!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I wasn't aware of the sensor problem so that's good info to know. Another possibility should that not solve it for you -- DuoTherm AC units are infamous for freezing up when run on low fan speed, especially in high humidity. As far as I know there is no solution other than buying a Coleman, but the workaround is to use high speed fan only.

I plan now to check the sensor on ours.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 05:55 AM   #8
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Also, they will freeze up when you use the "quick cool" feature. When the quick cool grate is open, the cold air is sucked back up into the return section, and the unit will quickly freeze. With the grate closed, the cold air exits at the remote vents, and warmer air enters the return!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We would also agree with Steve as we have had the same problems in the past, especially in humid weather....Les and Sue
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I wasn't aware of the sensor problem so that's good info to know. Another possibility should that not solve it for you -- DuoTherm AC units are infamous for freezing up when run on low fan speed, especially in high humidity. As far as I know there is no solution other than buying a Coleman, but the workaround is to use high speed fan only.

I plan now to check the sensor on ours.
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote