Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2006, 08:59 AM   #1
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
REMEDY PLEASE!

You know that cord that goes from the trailer to the plug in the back of the truck? Well I have been after Paul since we got the trailer to make something so that the cord wouldn't drag on the ground when we went over bumps, in driveways etc. Now that he is sick, it is up to me to fix it, which I can, I just need some ideas. Our plug is just below the bumper by the license plate. The road is starting to rub the outer cover off. I have taken electricians tape and covered it up but now I need to make something so that I can keep it off the ground. I have tie wraps, a spring etc, I just have to figure something out. Could I get some help here please? Thanks Kathi

Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:13 AM   #2
xea
Established Member

M.O.C. #5306
We had the same set up and the same problem. What I ended up doing is taking those little plastic ties and using them to tie the extra up. Not sure how to explain it but I made a full circle in the cord so and where the cirle joined the cord that goes straight I used those ties. So far it works great. Just emagine rolling up a hose but leaving some loose at both ends, then tie the loop(s) up to themselves.

Hope that is sort of clear

Tina
xea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #3
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kathi

You know that cord that goes from the trailer to the plug in the back of the truck? Well I have been after Paul since we got the trailer to make something so that the cord wouldn't drag on the ground when we went over bumps, in driveways etc. Now that he is sick, it is up to me to fix it, which I can, I just need some ideas. Our plug is just below the bumper by the license plate. The road is starting to rub the outer cover off. I have taken electricians tape and covered it up but now I need to make something so that I can keep it off the ground. I have tie wraps, a spring etc, I just have to figure something out. Could I get some help here please? Thanks Kathi
Kathi,

The best fix is to add another female receptacle in the bed of the truck. That way, the cord is inside the bed and won't be near the ground. I'm presently plugged into the bumper receptacle too but I'll be adding a second receptacle in the bed as soon as it quits raining down here.
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 09:35 AM   #4
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Kathi,
I had the same situation and all I did was to take a bungi cord, about 12" long and hooked it in one of the holes on the pin box and then straighten out the hook on the other end and used electrical tape and taped it so the wire would have a droop and some play in it.
Hope this helps
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 10:24 AM   #5
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
You guys are so smart!!!! When my trailer comes back from the dealer I will get on this one...Sounds easy enough...As for the receptacle in the bed of the truck, welllll, that is a little over my head right now. I could do it but I wanna wait till it gets a little warmer. But it is on my list of things that need to be done for our trip to Lake Sisikyou in May...Hope Paul is much better by then..Thanks everyone. Kathi
Old 04-05-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kathi, do you have the louvered v-gate tailgate or are you using the stock gate? I use a ball-bungee around the top louver on mine. Mostly I use it to keep the cord from rubbing the finish off the tailgate but it also serves to keep it in the bed and not on the ground. Prior to the v-gate I used a bungee cord on the pinbox.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:54 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
It is imperative that it doesn't drag on the ground. I was towing our 21 foot Terry trailer eons ago and inadvertently allowed the electrical cord to drag on the road. It wore through and shorted out, causing the electric brakes to engage and giving us a sudden stop after the trailer locked up. Wouldn't want that to happen to anybody.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The receptacle in the bed is the best idea but in lew of that the bungee cord is the next best.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #9
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We have that louvered tailgate...Maybe I can bungee it to that somehow...I definitely don't want the breaks to bring 50 ft of moving vehicle to a sudden stop that is for sure...That would be the end of my driving. That would scare me to death...
Old 04-06-2006, 09:53 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kathi, I use a ball bungee on the tailgate rather than the ordinary bungee with the hooked ends. It's quick, easy, and doesn't scratch the tailgate. I've been using this for the past 3 years or so without problem.

Another reason not to allow that cord to drag the ground or even loop close to the ground is it could catch on something you drive over.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:45 PM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Kathi,

Some time ago I heard of a case where the connector came out and the family lost braking going down a hill resulting in injury. I don't know the outcome of the lawsuit against bargeman connectors but ever since I heard about it I have been using tie-raps fot stress relief on the connector. So what I do is tie-rap the cable to the bumper and pull the cable through so that the cable does not drag and providse some relief on the connector. So I use the tie raps for both reason.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:12 AM   #12
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
Another way to have the receptical in the truck is to make an extension cord.
I did this with mine. I mounted a receptical on the side of the 5th wheel hitch. Then I ran an new cord down to the old receptical. I put a new connector on the end of the wire so I can unplug the extension cord and remove the whole hitch and receptical for the winter. It has worked out real well.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
krvk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3191
I too used the Bungee cord system until after a few tight turns the electrical cord would catch on the corner of the pickup bed and come unpluged, so I had our RV dealer install a new plug inside the bed and no more problems.
krvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #14
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Kathi,

We have ours in the bed of the truck too. Our dealer didn't want to do it for some reason? I'm not sure why but I was insistent. It makes it much easier for us. Dick still makes sure the cord is secure to some extent since we had it come a bit loose once. We weren't on the road but it showed us what could happen and to make sure we have it in tight and secure. If we bought another truck I would have it done the same way.

By the way lady you are now even more inspiration to me. All of you ladies out there towing the Montanas. I haven't tried it yet. I used to pull our pop up but haven't managed the courage to tow the Montana when Dick was in the mood to teach me. I think perhaps he's trying to keep me at home when I get the wanderlust and fears I may leave alone!

By the way I was so pleased to hear about all of Paul's progress and please know he continues to be in my prayers. You two my friend.

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:12 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kenny, I don't have the bungee cord that tight. I can easily pull the cord back and forth. It will move when pulled but will not move by itself.