Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
First Hookup Our New Max & Monty

I had some concerns about how our new 2011 GMC 3500HD would hook up with our
2007 Montana 2955RL. When the truck was sitting empty the back corner of the box
was approximately 2.0" higher than our 2003 GMC 2500HD.

So after hooking up and setting the king pin adjustment, going for a small tow, setting
up the on board brake controller, all looks pretty good.

As it sits, I measured the distance from the underside of the trailer over hang, and the back corners of the box, and ended up with 5.5" to 6.0", which I am happy with. I was also concerned about the ground clearance for the folded up steps as I ruined one set of those
this summer when we were in Virginia. As the trailer sits we have exactly 12" between the back corner of the steps and the ground.

In the attached picture, the trailer ended up perfectly level, and the back of the truck
is just a tidge high. When I hooked up the bck end of the truck did NOT go down at all.
However our trailer is empty right now. I think when we are "stored for war" and ready to
go down south the 15th of November, I am sure the hitch weight will increase a bit.

It was really difficult for me to hold Max back when I went for a tow, all those horses were
just so ready to get out and go.
(http://i56.tinypic.com/14avl9z.jpg[/IMG)

klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The recommended minimal distance from bed overhang to truck bed rails is 6", so your distance is close. This is only a concern if the RV's rear is angled downward while the TV is angled downward in front. Then you risk contact. Hopefully the driveways, campgrounds or bumps are never that severe. I had a close call at a rustic campsite where contact was about 1/4" away and I have over 7" clearance. Whew!

With some mathematics you can measure the angles you can clear for the steps. If this becomes a concern maybe there's a way to install some of those wheels that are mounted to the frame to prevent the backend from scrapping the ground (or damaging stairs). But if the trailer is level then that would be the best in RV clearance. Many of us are nose up an the RV and this would greatly increase the risk of making backend contact. I think you are good to go in that sense.

You will definitely be gaining some weight at the pin when you prepare for battle and possibly cause the front of the RV and the rear of the TV to dip downwards (which helps with the backend clearance, but will mess up your headlight aim). You can install an Air bag system for the TV rear end to control the sag and level of the rig and get you back to the aspect you are currently comfortable with. Other solutions like Timbrens or helper springs do not have as much customization.

It's great you are comfortable with your rig, but a little caution on how much weight you add. There's more reason to stay within all weight ratings besides your engine and trans, like differential, axles, drive shaft, brakes, shocks, etc. Since it seems that you've been using this same loaded trailer with your prior truck then you shouldn't have a problem unless you were already overweight but this truck should improve that. Those Clydesdales in the front might be wanting to pull something being supported by miniature horses in the back. But with a 2955 I don't think you'll have to worry about it especially since that hasn't changed and you now have a more capable truck.

All in all, if the trailer hasn't changed and the new truck comes with new better numbers and ratings, it sure doesn't seem like you have much to worry about that you haven't covered already.

Congratulations on the new rig! It's a fine looking combination, for sure!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #3
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
congrats on the new tv. sure is a beatty.she looks real good and ready to go .good luck
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Nice looking rig. You will be happy with the power at your foot when required.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I always measure the distance from ground to the bottom of the trailer frame at the extreme rear and the extreme front to determine if the rig is towing on an even keel- To me, it's vital that the trailer be level before I measure the truck box to trailer overhang distance as there can be a variance between the front box measurement and the rear box measurement due to the truck rear may be higher than the front- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Bernie,

Congrats, and I like what I hear about your hook-up. I received a call from the Dealer and my Chevy just arrived. Since I ordered a Dually I think I should end up with a little more clearance between rails and underside of the Monty as I believe the Dually set just a little lower than the SRW, plus I will only have 17 inch wheels. I'll post an update next week after picking up the truck and transferring the hitch.
Happy towing,

Michelle S.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:23 PM   #7
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Nice looking combo you have me dreaming a little. I just today ordered the Tri-Glide for the Monty and will be looking at the same distances just talked about. I'm just within pin weight of the truck but have added air bags for the better ride and now with the Tri-Glide it will be much improved. Have fun with the new ride I'm sure you had a big smile going down the road!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote