Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2010, 05:39 PM   #21
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
Have driven both and would not part with my DRW. I also tow a 2955rl. For everyday use, yes, you have to walk a bit further from the end of the parking lot to the store but exercise never hurt. I don't know where the snow issue comes from. Having spent considerable time driving in the Yukon, Alaska and the North West Territories, DWD outnumber SWD at least 8 to 1. Snow obviously is not a problem for these boys and their DWD.

gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 AM   #22
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Greetings, as long as the SRW towing capicity is within specs, I see no reason to go with it. I agree with all the reasons for a DRW stated here by others for an exceptionally heavy unit. I think you are well within the capabilities of a SRW. We tow a 324RLQ with our F-250SD PSD SB SRW and have no problem at all. We are at the tow limit of the vehicle and feel no instability at all. We check for proper inflation of all tires before leaving and periodically check durring the trip. I run the TV rear tires at maximum as stated in the OM. Again, as others, your decision. You need to go with what you feel comfortable with. Good luck
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:47 AM   #23
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I'm in the minority here, as we own a Silverado 3500 with single rear wheels. I thought a lot about it before buying and decided on it because of the ease of handling in tight day to day driving (especially in parking garages where I used to have to park when working). There's also the added expense for the extra tires. If we were full timers, the dually probably would have won out, but for our camping, which has included trips to Maine, Wyoming and Alaska, the SRW has worked out just fine.

Besides, who needs training wheels on a truck? (Yeah, I'll pay for that remark, I'm sure!)
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #24
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Other than the obvious cost of the tires, is there DWR maint cost that should be considered that are not obvious to a first time DRW owner?

Thanks,

Robert and Kerri
troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robert and Kerri, I have had my DRW Chevy for a little over two years and I have had no additional costs related to the Dually setup. Buying six tires at once can hurt the ole pocketbook though. AND, If you don't watch your clearances closely, until you get used to the big hips in back, it might cost you a little. Don't ask me how I know that......(I was actually trying to forget that day).....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #26
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobsals

Greetings, as long as the SRW towing capicity is within specs, I see no reason to go with it. I agree with all the reasons for a DRW stated here by others for an exceptionally heavy unit. I think you are well within the capabilities of a SRW. We tow a 324RLQ with our F-250SD PSD SB SRW and have no problem at all. We are at the tow limit of the vehicle and feel no instability at all. We check for proper inflation of all tires before leaving and periodically check durring the trip. I run the TV rear tires at maximum as stated in the OM. Again, as others, your decision. You need to go with what you feel comfortable with. Good luck
As has been stated on here before, towing capacity is not the issue. Any diesel pick up of any size will "tow" any Keystone product. The problem with a 3/4 ton diesel is the lack of ability to carry the pin weight of a Montana/Mountaineer. With your GW of 12,500 and the normal 20% for pin weight at 2,500...you'll find that weight alone (not counting everything else in your truck) will exceed the cargo carrying capacity. Look at the Tire and Information Loading Information sticker on the left side of the door frame, it will list the cargo capacity for that truck...you won't like what it says.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:41 AM   #27
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
I tow a 2955RL with a F-350 SRW and have never had any problems. I think as stated before it just comes down to personal preference. When it comes to replacing tires, 4 are expensive enough not to mention having to buy 6. Other maintenance,i.e Brakes, etc. should be no different on which ever one you choose.
maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #28
Sinterior
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9238
I went from a 3/4 ton extended cab short box to a 1 ton crew cab long box dually and other than some issues with parking and drive thru's, was surprised how easy the change was. If your mirrors go through something, the dually flares will as well.
Just for info, the rear axle weight of my truck with Monty hitched up is 6500 lbs, pin weight is 2800 lbs, trailer loaded.
Sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #29
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobsals

As has been stated on here before, towing capacity is not the issue. Any diesel pick up of any size will "tow" any Keystone product. The problem with a 3/4 ton diesel is the lack of ability to carry the pin weight of a Montana/Mountaineer. With your GW of 12,500 and the normal 20% for pin weight at 2,500...you'll find that weight alone (not counting everything else in your truck) will exceed the cargo carrying capacity. Look at the Tire and Information Loading Information sticker on the left side of the door frame, it will list the cargo capacity for that truck...you won't like what it says.
Tom, like I mentioned in my post, we are at the limit. I did a lot of number crunching prior to buying the unit. The truck rear axle rating is 6084 and we are at 5820. The GCWR is 460 lbs under the max. We weighed at a CAT scale upon going on our first trip so the weights are loaded weights.
bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #30
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
I am in the same dilemma as I'm considering ordering a 2011 and have an 06 F350 with the 6.0, towing a new 2010 Montana 3750FL. Now I'm thinking about a dually. My GVWR is 500 below specs, my GCWR is 350 below specs. This fiver is 1200 heavier then previous and 2.5' fleet longer. The 3750 is towing at 14K and the combined weight is 22,600. The 3750 is producing some bounce and a new "sliding" feeling around high speed corners. I can tow it and feel safe but I'm sure the longbed dually is a beter choice. Can you say $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:37 PM   #31
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Funny you should ask that question. I have a Ram 2500 $x$ pulling the same rig as yours Fully loaded +
The 2500 pulls and stops great. BUT if I had to do it all over again I would get the second set of wheels.
You may find in the very near future the 2955 is to small or a pretty new lady shows up in a dealer some where and the loss of pay load from the Single wheel vs the Dual MAY present a problem.
In all cases the dual wheel unit is designed for the heavy lifting we put on them. So the new Beast f burden for me is going to have 4 wheels in the rear. Only wish the new GMC's did not have the uggly black bulge in the hood to clear the new brake
But the New Ram is a real great looking machine. Gotta love the a/c seats
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #32
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Double check your numbers on the 2011 3500HD SRW Duramax GVWR - it is actually rated at 11,600 which is higher than the F350 SRW. If you plan on going to a larger 5th wheel some day, I'd go with the dually. If no new coach is in your future only you can decide how the numbers will best work for you. Having said all that, I used to tow my 3400RL with a 2500HD SRW Chevy and now use an F350 SRW Ford. Have never found a stability issue with any of the trailers I tow - boat, coach, or horse/stock trailers.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:51 AM   #33
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
When comparing GVWRs for different manufacturers, they only tell half the story. For years Ford had a SRW that had virtually the same GVWR as GM's dually. The difference was in the basic weight of the trucks, the Ford was very very heavy and the extra weight was the heavy truck, it did not contribute to any extra load carrying capability.

Bottom line...you have to look at ALL the numbers, GVWR, cargo capacity, weight of the truck, etc.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #34
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
My last three trucks have been longbed duallys. I like the extra cargo capacity and since I back into most parking spaces the length/width are usually not an issue. With my first dually, I did not need the extra capacity till we bought a new trailer and the extra capacity meant I did not need a new truck as well.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote