Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
Woodworker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22922
Power plugs

I have to use an extension to plug in at home.
The plugs are crazy hard to get apart when I'm packing up to leave.
Is there anything I can use on the copper prongs to make them easier to pull apart?

Woodworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
Jeffrey
Established Member

M.O.C. #22834
Get some grease for electrical connections from a auto parts and coat the copper prongs, that should do it!
Old 05-14-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
Montajmahal
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23285
Steve, dielectric grease. Use on any electrical contacts exposed to atmosphere.
Montajmahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:24 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a thingy made for that purpose we have no idea what it is called.I call it the Extension puller aparter thingy got it at camping world..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:06 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My 'dogbone' adapter that goes 50A to 30A has a loop thing on the 50A end. Very convenient to pull on to separate the two cords. Then the 15A adapter (which I no longer need) is pretty easy to start with.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #6
Pops8
Established Member

M.O.C. #21706
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
There is a thingy made for that purpose we have no idea what it is called.I call it the Extension puller aparter thingy got it at camping world..
I hate it when posters use technical terms in their posts.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:05 AM   #7
RickyRobert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27598
I, too, suffer the "takes great strength" to pull apart the 50 amp connections issue (even with the built-in hand grips). In particular, the connection between the rig's 50 amp cord and the Southwire Surge Guard 50 amp portable device. Given that by its very definition dielectric grease is an insulator and non-conductor of electricity, and has many warnings not to be used on direct electrical connections (dropping amperage if nothing else), I find it hard to believe that Camco sells a tube of Camco Power Grip Electrical Protectant and Lube for exactly this purpose and it is clearly labelled as a dielectric grease. There are many other lubricants advertised that contain a conductive agent, but come with warnings about their decolorizations (black stains from the carbon) and viscosity (heavy oil vs. lube grease). So, if there is a consensus on which electrical connection lubricant to go with, I'd be interested. Thanks to all ...
RickyRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:57 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I think the term dielectric grease is a bit misleading. There are volumes of conversations about what it is supposed to and not supposed to do on the internet. It is an insulator, but an insulator of water and such to prevent corrosion and fusing on a given connection. Usually a dogbone's lugs will be such a tight contact that it will easily push the grease away from the contact point with no issue of current loss. I'd guess that's why Camco advertises its use. Off subject a bit ... never gob "conductive" grease on say a multiwire connector as it has suspended metal in it and can provide a possible electrical path to an unwanted wire in the multiwire connector like under your dash. This is my take and I'm sticking to it.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #9
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
As a lineman working on high voltage underground power cable terminations, we used tons of dielectric silicone grease, and it never caused any issues. But, years ago my Dad was having problems with the bulbs on his boat trailer corroding, so I brought home a handful of little tubes of the grease. He applied the grease to all the bulbs, and found then, that none worked. At 12 volts, it was truely a dielectric insulating grease and did insulate. At 120 volts and above, it likely will not insulate, but I would not use a lot on the spades of the plugs. Also, over time, that grease tends to harden up and could actually make the connections harder to take apart. The best thing is just keep them clean and shined up with a very fine sand paper, steel wool, or crocus cloth. The tighter the connection, the better electric contact you will have.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:17 PM   #10
Jeff n Susan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25636
May I suggest Fluid Film! It is dielectric, and made of lanolin. It is a natural lubricant, comes in a spray can, and is easy to clean off with soap and water if you need to. I keep it around for many many needs around the house. This stuff works. (No, I am not a salesman for this stuff ! LOL )
Jeff n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:58 AM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If you are not using the a/c, there is no need to use the anaconda cord to keep the unit plugged in at home. Simply get a 50 to 15 adapter and use a least a #12 extension cord.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:25 AM   #12
RickyRobert
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27598
Got an answer from Southwire technical support: "I do not recommend any lubrication on male or female plugs. The connection should be tight for the best performance. That is why we have Tee handles on the back of all our devices so folks can get a good grip on plug to pull apart. In due time the plug will break in loosen up a bit so it is easier to separate. I would make sure the male blades are clean and shinny for best results."

Guess that when Covid releases me to a more normal life I'll have to hit the gym to build up arm strength!

BTW, I trust those guys at Southwire, not just because they were giving me the answer that I was expecting ... In the past, I have personally experienced their customer service and warranty coverage and it was truly amazing.
RickyRobert is offline   Reply With Quote