Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Sewer Drain Problem

I seem to have a sewer clog somewhere right above the dump valve on the inside of the tank. This is the first time we have ever had any issue like this because we keep the tanks clean and dump often with ample water. I dumped yesterday, thought the tank was empty, and then hooked up the tank cleaner. It seemed funny that nothing was coming out, or at least very little. Lucky for us, my wife saw it begin to back up into the toilet. We stopped the wash, and it did drain some, but it has not really completely dumped. Do any of you great guys have an idea??? I sincerely hope we are not the first with this type of clog. Thanks in advance!

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Sounds like it is time to run a sewer type snake up the dump pipe back into the tank. Whatever it is seems to be blocking the dump pipe inside the tank. Maybe it's the dreaded round cutout from where they tapped into the tank and then didn't remove it?
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:14 PM   #3
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Try to follow this. On our 3655 FL the back water stopped up also I filled the gray water tank and capped the outlet end (I have a dump valve there also). Then I opened the black water, then the gray water. The gray pushed the clog back into the black tank. I then closed the gray and opened the outlet. If you do not have a valve on the outlet this could be a LITTLE messy.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Did it dump properly to begin with? Plenty of effluent (great word!)coming out to begin with? Really asking if you are sure the valve opened to begin with to start the process. If it did, the little trick mentioed above might help.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Native Tex

I seem to have a sewer clog somewhere right above the dump valve on the inside of the tank. This is the first time we have ever had any issue like this because we keep the tanks clean and dump often with ample water. I dumped yesterday, thought the tank was empty, and then hooked up the tank cleaner. It seemed funny that nothing was coming out, or at least very little. Lucky for us, my wife saw it begin to back up into the toilet. We stopped the wash, and it did drain some, but it has not really completely dumped. Do any of you great guys have an idea??? I sincerely hope we are not the first with this type of clog. Thanks in advance!
The fact the tank cleaner backed up into the toilet indicates the black tank is full. I am guessing a malfunctioning dump valve. Troubleshooting over the INTERNET is hard.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
OK, my tale of woe, this may help you.
On out first real RV, our Keystone Sprinter, I had the same problem. We were at South Padre, tank wouldn't flush, I was banging the pipes with a rubber mallet to get it loose, no luck with that Barney Rubble tactic, so I went for my small bottle of Co2 with a hose on it.
I stuck it down the stool, packed rags around it and just barely cracked the valve on the 1500# of non regulated pressure...
Whoosh, out came the mess into the hose and we lived happily ever after.
Try air pressure in the stool. Probably won't take much.
In the future, Flush, count to 6 or 7, then stop flushing. This will help.
Good luck.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:39 AM   #7
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

OK, my tale of woe, this may help you.
Try air pressure in the stool. Probably won't take much.
In the future, Flush, count to 6 or 7, then stop flushing. This will help.
Good luck.
Ozz
Since the black tank is vented to the roof, it is better to apply pressure from the roof vent. Applying pressure to the toilet, will simply vent to the roof! I have had this exact same problem, and solved it this way.I completely filled the grey water tank first. Then while the black tank valve was open and the toilet valve open (turn outside water off to reduce overfilling), I opened the grey water valve. The outflowing grey water creates a suction on the black tank, and with the toilet valve open to provide positive air pressue, it should let go. A couple of things to remember. Use only single ply toilet paper likes Scotts. Also, make sure you check the roof vent fo clogs. If the roof vent is clogged, it is hard to drain the tank!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:06 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Worked for me.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I have found that a clear plastic fitting on the dump valve is a good way to make sure that something is coming out of the tank. Also shows how well the paper is breaking down.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
bigmurf,
I agree, wouldn't be without one.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Folks these are all great ideas. I run a 10" clear section on the end to observe the waste tank efficiency. The tank has been in use now for two years and this is the first issue. I tried a snake from the top side, but could never actually hit the drain end. I was very, very brave and did run a snake from the OPEN end. I was so crazy that I had my wife manning the valve when ever something started moving towards me. I think I will try the back flush from the gray water: I should have known about this from my Army maintenance studies. I'll give it a try and let you know. As always, thanks for all the great ideas.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Native Tex,

Wonder why it plugged? Maybe the gate valve has a slow water leak, & let the solids build up too much.
Will be interesting to see how you make out.

Good Luck.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 PM   #13
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
'O.V.' This worked for me once. You will need a helper or two. Disconnect your sewer hose from the campground sewer, leaving it still connected to your RV drain. With your blackwater valve in the open position, lift up the loose end and with a water hose begin filling up the sewer hose. When you have several gallons in there begin pumping your end up and down, causing the water in the sewer line to push back against whatever is plugging up your drain. Make sure you have someone at the connection to ensure that your sewer hose remains tightly in place. The hydraulic action of the water pressure hopefully will dislodge the plug and allow you to drain your tank. Yes, you have to be quick in positioning the sewer line over the park drain, but it beats putting your hand and arm up the drain pipe and poking around until everything comes out on you. Let us know how it goes (no pun intended). Mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:17 AM   #14
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Mike - I really like your idea much, much better than work direct from the outlet end. At least with the drain hose in place I would have a few seconds to drop the old sewer line back into the park drain. That should be easier that working closer to the flow. Thanks my friend for sharing this idea. Will let you know if it works. Happy Trails!
Old 01-12-2007, 01:59 AM   #15
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Native Tex

Mike - I really like your idea much, much better than work direct from the outlet end. At least with the drain hose in place I would have a few seconds to drop the old sewer line back into the park drain. That should be easier that working closer to the flow. Thanks my friend for sharing this idea. Will let you know if it works. Happy Trails!
This thread is starting to remind me about the movie "RV". Remember the part about "Basic Hydraulics", and "Fire in the hole". Better get a rain coat on!
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:59 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hahahaha - Mike, you are right,

The movie RV was the first thing I thought of when trying to visualize pressurizing the tank with air, just a geiser of brown shooting up in the air!! It actually sounds like a good idea though.

Not to slight your dilemna Native Tex - I have no suggestions but am eagerly waiting to read the resolve. Wouldn't wish that on anybody.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:04 AM   #17
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Guys I have seen that move as well and you can rest assured that I will NOT let that happen.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #18
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
I thought the movie RV was a training film.

You mean I shouldn't be using the "Y" adapter and holding it over my head?
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 07:18 AM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I think RV needs to be a mandatory training film - at least so you know what your up against! I think everyone can relate to at least one piece of that movie, if not from tearing off the awning, then backing over the shopping carts! I know I can.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #20
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Use a lots and lots of water and empty tanks as full as possible you should never have a problem
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote