Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #21
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswbarton View Post
When I took delivery of my unit I found one blind in the bedroom with a pinhole. General RV the Selling Dealer did the warranty claim but Keystone refused to pay for the blind since I had driven it off the lot they blamed me. General RV kept the unit well over a month later no blind repair and most of the 8 items had not been done. The ascot shades look like a good design but use a brittle plastic which will shatter probably more as they get older. You can see that while the design is fair it will not last. My build sheet has many non identified items. Keystone had no idea which fridge inverter they installed etc. It is not worth loosing use of the unit waiting for Keystone Warranty for cheap stuff.
Although we have the same year and model units , they are different. Different blinds, shutoff locations ect. No wonder its so hard to get parts. The living room lights in mine are no longer made. In fact, during our PDI last year we had one that wasn't working, they couldn't get a exact match and the unit was new ( different size) They ended up taking one out of the bathroom and put that in the living room so they would all match. The non matching one went in the bathroom.

bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:09 AM   #22
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Mine has not had much useage since I let it sit waiting on parts for most of the spring. It has less than 300 miles on it but is already having caulking failures around the front storage compartment doors and moldings. It appears the caulking was applied with the fiberglass dirty or coated with something. Owning one of these for what We paid is a joke. I wonder if the selling dealer has a choice of what components go into the build? It seems helter skelter on what you get.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #23
donnport

M.O.C. #22201
Ascot Roller Shades

We bought a 2016 Montana High Country a couple of months ago. Four of the Ascot roller shades would not retract. Following some information I found on this site I removed the Black Gear side of the shade and a bunch of broken plastic pieces fell out, along with a brass pin. I contacted Ascot using their email address I found online and sent them photos of the broken parts. Mindi Mcdonald, mmcdonald@ascotent.com, contacted me back and sent me all the new Black Gear assemblies that I needed. I set the shade in front of me with the black gear to my right. Unroll the shade all the way. Remove the two screws holding the black gear to the frame. Be prepared for a bunch of broken pieces to fall out. Make sure you get all the broken pieces and brass pin out. Install the new black gear with the two screws. Sometimes the shade will start rolling up by itself, but not likely. If the shade does not go up by itself, start turning the black gear in the direction away from you. You will have to turn it several times, you will feel the tension increase. Hold the shade up and it should start rolling up slowly. If it does not go up all the way, keep turning the gear until it does. If it does stop going up before it reaches the top, you may have to adjust the clear gear on the other end a little. Hope this helps someone, they are good, expensive, shades and pretty easy to fix. And Ascot sent the parts for free. I recieved them about three days after Mindi contacted me.
donnport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:27 PM   #24
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Two shades on our month old 3121 are coming apart. The plastic piece at the bottom is pulling loose from the shade. One is about 2/3 off while the other is about 1/3 off. Not sure how they are fastened together.
Old 03-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #25
kovaschool

M.O.C. #25975
I just realized this is a bit late but I was able to find a website that sells custom solar shades and blackout shades for my Passport at shademonster.com. They start at about 7" by 10" and give you everything you need to mount it (I wasn't brave enough to take on the project).
kovaschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:31 AM   #26
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
shades

The thing I like about the shades referenced in post #25 above are that they are "geared" (in lieu of spring loaded like Irvine Shades or MCD). You have to pull the chain to make them go up or down, and they stay at the level you left them at. The pic below is a screen shot from their installation video. As you can see by the size of the mechanism (in relationship to the hand) there is room up in our valance for a single blind - so you would need to choose blackout shades (opaque) or solar shades that you can see thru. There is not enough room to do the "two shade" thing that we have with Irvine Shade (solar + black-out). I checked their pricing for a single blackout shade for my back window (72"x 36") and the shipping was free to my house (see below). If I was fed up with the shades on my two larger windows (dining table and back window) I think this is a pretty good price for an alternative. The Monte is the first camper we have ever had with 2 levels of shades - and frankly we really like them.

The thing I can't do from their website is touch and feel the shade fabric. I would like to know a bit more about the fabric and its durability. There are many manufacturers of "geared" shades. The more expensive ones have metal gears, parts and pull chain (in lieu of plastic) and maybe more options for fabrics. Probably the most popular commercial construction brand is Mechoshades...but once they are put up - I can never tell what brand is which. They all look and work alike.

We have had "geared" shades on our front porch for years (plastic gears and pull chain). Got them at Home depot, and they still work great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-03-18_11-24-09.png
Views:	53
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	5813  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote