Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Ascot Window shades

Does anyone have experience on the shades that came on 2016 High Countries. The mfr is Ascot. They do not have much info on the website and do not respond to emails. I called them and did get a replacement part but no instructions. Any other info would be helpful.

jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
James which one came in yours the wooden mini blinds or the pull down fabric ones?
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
The pull down fabric ones are NOT what they used to be!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:56 AM   #4
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
mine are pull down fabric except the kitchen window which is blinds
Old 08-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Mine are roller type with two gears, one on each end. One gear sets the open stopping point and the other must be the spring tension. I finally installed all slide out covers and also window awnings so I only need a dark opaque shade.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I have a 2016 HC 375FL. I had 3 different types in mine. The living room and Kitchen had wooden mini blinds (All had to be shortened) thank goodness for YOUTUBE. The back hallway and bedroom had fabric pulldown ones. They had the light stopping ability of gauze. We have replaced 5 of those with aluminum mini blinds custom made. The one over the Kitchen Sink was a aluminum mini blind.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:07 AM   #7
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
On my HC 375 FL all are the same roller except for the kitchen. My pull down circular roller tube ones are a heavy opaque vinyl and my Kitchen is metal mini blind. Mine stop all light but are not the quality of say MCD shades.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
James found another water shutoff for the icemaker. On mine in the dinette area against the outside wall near the fridge there is a carpeted box. The box on mine came loose and when I went to screw it back down I found the shutoff.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Wow I wondered what was in that box to the right rear of the fridge? Has any of you slide out upper trim fallen off yet? I lost a living room slide front the other day it was barely held in place with short brads.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswbarton View Post
Wow I wondered what was in that box to the right rear of the fridge? Has any of you slide out upper trim fallen off yet? I lost a living room slide front the other day it was barely held in place with short brads.
Nope alls well, got a good look at it yesterday as we did the yearly cleaning, washing ceilings, walls ect and shampooing of carpets ( that's where I found the loose box)
Old 08-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad99ram View Post
I have a 2016 HC 375FL. I had 3 different types in mine. The living room and Kitchen had wooden mini blinds (All had to be shortened) thank goodness for YOUTUBE. The back hallway and bedroom had fabric pulldown ones. They had the light stopping ability of gauze. We have replaced 5 of those with aluminum mini blinds custom made. The one over the Kitchen Sink was a aluminum mini blind.
The MCD roller shades on my Cougar were fantastic. Not sure who makes those on my Montana but they do not last. The 4th one being replaced now. I'll be having a company make and install something that works! Disgusting!
Old 08-25-2017, 02:56 PM   #12
unclesam
Established Member

M.O.C. #18286
Ascot shades

Quote:
The MCD roller shades on my Cougar were fantastic. Not sure who makes those on my Montana but they do not last. The 4th one being replaced now. I'll be having a company make and install something that works! Disgusting!
My Ascot Window Shades were improperly adjusted when I got my 2016 High Country 352. Finally got around to adjustment process and couldn't fine anything on line, so I boldly went where no man has gone before and took them down and tried the old time tried and true standard method from you-tube. I removed the clutch from the left side of the roller assembly and it, the clutch, fell apart in 20 pieces. I went to Ascot's WEB site and followed instructions, i.e. took a picture, recorded the PN# and sent it to the e-mail address (window@ascotent.com). I received a return message in less the 30 minutes requesting an address to send a replacement part at no cost to me. Received the clutch today in the mail, less than 4 days, can't beat that!
unclesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #13
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
IMHO they never were anything to begin with anyway!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #14
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I never got an email so I called. The sent me parts but had no instructions or diagrams. Put on new black roller gear reassembled and guessed at adjustment. It all worked fine. They did not charge me for the parts and I got them in a few days.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:17 PM   #15
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
So, Montana prices go up and the cheapest parts that can be found are changed from those that work. They may as well just put those with strings in and be done. I guess MCD wanted a dime more per blind. They should just charge us $100 for a 'camper kit' with the tools and parts needed to finish building each unit or to finish correctly what the Amish (NON)craftsmen could not get right being in too much a hurry to get home for milking time.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:09 PM   #16
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
So, Montana prices go up and the cheapest parts that can be found are changed from those that work. They may as well just put those with strings in and be done. I guess MCD wanted a dime more per blind. They should just charge us $100 for a 'camper kit' with the tools and parts needed to finish building each unit or to finish correctly what the Amish (NON)craftsmen could not get right being in too much a hurry to get home for milking time.
I think you and I would get along just fine. Couldn't have put it better myself
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #17
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Well it is confusing when a company like Keystone uses fly by night suppliers. The Montana High Country information had no reference materials on the Night Shades. You had to remove one to see a small sticker listing Ascot Enterprises. Then you find a Website Ascotent.com. You call and get transferred a few times and finally get a call back and parts. The parts came from another company "Specialty Window Coverings" Goshen IN. They appear to have a website that the URL http://specialtywindowcoverings.com/ responds with cannot reach but it does have a business listing. They did send a one page install instructions Opaque Night Shades.
The instructions state mount it black knob to the left clear to the right. Black knob control speed of rise, clear knob controls the drop point in the up position. It also lists clockwise counterclockwise which are meaningless terms as there is no reference for where you are viewing them from. So if you need any assistance
Specialty Window Coverings
a Division of Ascot Enterprises
1614 Eishenhower Drive North
Goshen, IN 46526
574-262-5190
http://www.ascotent.com/ContactAscot.html
Email: window@ascotent.com
http://specialtywindowcoverings.com/
Old 08-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #18
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
my 2017 352rl is in the shop now for the same issue. thankful for the warranty.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:47 PM   #19
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswbarton View Post
Well it is confusing when a company like Keystone uses fly by night suppliers. The Montana High Country information had no reference materials on the Night Shades. You had to remove one to see a small sticker listing Ascot Enterprises.
Yes,,, my 2016 Cougar 5er had MCD roller blinds and it was listed as such on the build sheet. I guess Montana did not see the need to put "cheapest
blinds we could find" on the build sheet on my 2017 High Country. No way will I have another replaced and don't believe they are worth repairing for a short time fix.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:48 AM   #20
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
When I took delivery of my unit I found one blind in the bedroom with a pinhole. General RV the Selling Dealer did the warranty claim but Keystone refused to pay for the blind since I had driven it off the lot they blamed me. General RV kept the unit well over a month later no blind repair and most of the 8 items had not been done. The ascot shades look like a good design but use a brittle plastic which will shatter probably more as they get older. You can see that while the design is fair it will not last. My build sheet has many non identified items. Keystone had no idea which fridge inverter they installed etc. It is not worth loosing use of the unit waiting for Keystone Warranty for cheap stuff.