Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2008, 05:08 AM   #101
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Steve on the axel it is built with a camber in it ... it has about a 1/2" camber up in it .my personal feeling you can't put the camber back in as you are now bending it and it will bend back as they are built with a camber in them in a heat process , i think, or some type or process john

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:58 AM   #102
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, you are correct there is some camber in it. There's a long story behind this one that I won't go into. Keystone replaced the front axle because of a bent spindle done during delivery. I should have realized there probably also was damage to the rear axle but at that time it was not obvious based on tire wear. My mistake.

There are places that "bend" axles back to the proper camber. So my use of "straightening" is technically not correct. We had this done on our 2003 Montana and had no more adverse tire wear in the next 40,000 miles or so. I will stop soon at an RV dealer here in Santa Fe and ask their service manager who he'd recommend.

The 2003 axle was corrected using some kind of chain assembly. I don't think they used any heat. But they did a good job.

Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:55 AM   #103
Orion
Established Member

M.O.C. #6825
We have been very worried about the Mission tires - have been checking them often - have not found a problem yet - My wife decided to call Tireco, she spoke to several people - gave them all the information and then was told that they have NOT had any problem with these tires but if we were uncomfortable with them - they would send us replacemnts (she didnt have to ask or complain much- seemed too easy) - new tires would be Free Star (we have never heard of them either,) We decided that we would have them replaced (because at this time, we really dont have the extra to spend on new tires) - we found a dealer that would change the tires, we would pay for the install and balancing - the only thing about the new tires is they are not as wide as the Mission - hopefully they will last at least a year, then we will replace them with an american brand - but for now we will hold our judgement on them - but if anything happens with these new ones - then its back to Tireco and Keystone
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:09 AM   #104
Orion
Established Member

M.O.C. #6825
Sorry foorgot to mention that we have 07 Montana with approx 9,000 miles on the tires.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #105
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Orion, You did the right thing calling them, I am glad they worked with you.
I put the Free star on my Monte, so far-so good!

Folks, call them! Tell them you are not comfortable with the record of Missions.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #106
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Naturally, on the forum, we hear mostly about the bad things that happen and we want to know how to fix whatever is broken. Nobody posts and says, "my xxx has been working great for five years and 20,000 miles."

On the tire issue it would be interesting to find out how many Montanas came with Mission tires and how many of those have caused, or been, a problem.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #107
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
That would be more data, but the inconvenience and hardship many of us encounter is the reason for this thread.
Mission tires have cost me right under $1500 dollars of my hard earned money.

I was laid up in Gainesville for 5 days, and later on in Boerne Texas for 7 days, later on, in Buda for 7 days, paying campground fees waiting for my replacement tires.
On our first trailer, we had 3 tires with bubbles, we had to be in the RGV, so I had to buy 5 new tires on the road, just to get to our destination, no reimbursement, as I had no room for 5 tires on our trailer.
Tireco sent the wrong size tires in Boerne with the Montana, we drove to Buda at 50 miles and hour with a big bubble on one tire, as we had to be there.
Yes, many of us have had no problems with tires.
Tom, even a broken clock is right twice a day.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #108
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Ozz You said it all ,, a broken clock is rite 2wice a day but these tires are nrver rite ,, i shipped my tires to tirco in calf but do i expect to here a answer , what is your bet , i shiped 5 tires , i put on goodrich and am happy ,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:14 PM   #109
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Regarding recall, I have it from a person that keystone may be doing a tire recall on the Missions. Time will tell.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #110
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Remember everyone that if Missions were not so prone to failure the company would not replace them so easily. Their efforts are geared towards lawsuit avoidance in order to reduce the size of the class action pool when they're found to be liable for the safety hazards!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 01:03 PM   #111
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I called Tireco, expecting them to tell me the problem is our axle and they won't cover the tires. Belts were showing through the tread inner edges on both tires on that axle (we do have an axle problem to get taken care of). But, Tireco sent me two new Freestar tires.

I see those Freestar tires are rated load range E with weight rating of 3520 lbs each. So those work for the 7,000 lb axles. Tireco wants the old tires and said they would arrange for UPS to pick them up at our site, at their expense. They were supposed to be picked up last Thursday but they're still sitting out front with a UPS Pickup note on them. I left a message for Tireco today that we're leaving next Thursday and not taking them with us, so will see what they say.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 01:03 AM   #112
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yeaaa..... another Mission tire headache gone!
I know you didn't have any tire related problem, but maybe now in the future you won't have to worry about them. I would get the others, all you have to do, is tell them you have no confidence in them.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:36 AM   #113
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Regarding recall, I have it from a person that keystone may be doing a tire recall on the Missions. Time will tell.
That's exactly what should happen. No way anyone should have to pay a penny to have those crappy things replaced.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #114
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Well, we have been gone two weeks on vacation without the Monty. We returned home to no new tires in the carport. Bob, called Mission again and told them that we hadn't received the new tires. They said that they were sending new tires out two days ago. We shall see if we get the new tires. They said they delivered the tires, but heah we weren't here to sign the receipt. Normally UPS leaves stuff at the door and goes on. Since we live in the boonies I don't think we had a tire theif in the night.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:14 AM   #115
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Colleen,
UPS would also leave a UPS Form saying they tried to deliver. I'll bet they are till on the road. Call again and ask for a UPS tracking number. You'll be able to track the progress of delivery.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 02:29 AM   #116
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
I know it is probally here and I missed it but could you give me the number to call and the name of the contact person to speak with. I have a 2007 3650 with few miles on it but seeing what has been writen here and elsewhere I would like the missions replaced if i could. Thank you in advance Chuck
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 04:26 AM   #117
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Chuck:
Mission (Tireco Distributor)
800-227-8925
www.tireco.com Just ask for the warr. department.
Good luck with it.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #118
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Chuck:
Mission (Tireco Distributor)
800-227-8925
www.tireco.com Just ask for the warr. department.
Good luck with it.
I just called Tireco and gave them my DOT numbers and asked to have my 5 tires replaced. I spoke with a Victoria, who was very nice, but she explained that unless I had a specific problem with any of these tires, they could not replace them for free. She was not aware if Mission tires were not being manufactured anymore.

She mentioned that at the first sign of trouble to make sure that I give her a call immediately.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:57 AM   #119
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Tell her two of them are losing air, and you do not have any faith in them.
They have replaced tires for that reason recently; DriftwoodGal
(Maybe they are losing air..)
Old 06-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #120
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Ozz. I will call back. She sounded like she just needed some justification to put down on paper. I will try again tomorrow.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote