Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #241
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Well guys I just filled up today at wally world here in SC 4.579. getting ready to pull out sat morning for pigion forge. Just sat back for a week and rest these old bones. IT is costly to go but it sure is funnnn!!!. I am hopeing to retire in feb 09 I guest I will have to wait and see. I am just wondering bingo where do you go at murtle beach we love murtle beach travel park on the north end. Hey yall try not to worry the right man is in charge and he gives us one day at a time. Try to enjoy it. bobby

scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #242
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I am truly sorry that this thread, that I started , has upset some folks...But this is not my doom and gloom..It is the headlines of your daily newspaper and the evening news every day. It is real. The high cost of energy has not only affected us but it has effected our entire economy. That many do not recognize that or choose to ignore that it is real..well...I guess we all deal with bad news in our own way. We actually do not worry about it because we have made the necessary adjustments.We are having a good summer we are enjoying life.We are being provided for..the OPM pension check is deposited the 1st of each month..both of them. I read the newspaper front to back, every page, every day. I listen to the news at 6 and 11..I like to be aware of world events.I understand reality..don't like it..It is not what I want to hear
but I understand and adjust.What is worse..I can't make it go away. One thing about reality....It will catch up with you and you may not be ready for it. We still have enough travel bucks to get through the summer..do another 3K miles or so.. Now don't get excited guys but I am a sport shooter and what I do for relaxation is ..shoot..Spotting scope, array of firearms, plenty of targets and ammo, ear protection..verrry relaxing. we have a budget for that also..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:54 AM   #243
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
To answer you Bobby, we usually stay at Lakewood but this year could only get the three weeks at Pirateland.
Diesel is hanging steady at $4.73 locally and I checked our usual stop in SC (a Pilot) and it was listed at $4.47 so as it stands we are still within budget. Don't hold me to it, but I still have a hunch that fuel prices will stabilize at the beginning of the fall (this minor thing called an election coming up - in my opinion - will have an impact).
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:50 AM   #244
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Did we notice as Bingo relates..that although the price of oil is on a steady increase..the price of fuel is holding sort of steady... It did not increase, around here, at all for the holiday. Election year...you think???
Old 07-04-2008, 05:10 AM   #245
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Gas went up here, to average $4.20 a gallon sorta state wide.

Diesel did not, at least here locally, in this county.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:42 AM   #246
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Orv & Bingo are right on. Try to look at the positve side of things. We live in the greatist country in the world, eat three squares every day. Many of us have a stick house and a Montana too. 95% of the people have jobs. I've cut back on driving the diesel a little, no big deal. We have always had business cycles, from boom to bust. This down turn will end we'll bounce back.

Happy Fourth Of July & thanks to our military, that's kept us free all these years!!!
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:55 AM   #247
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

But this is not my doom and gloom..It is the headlines of your daily newspaper and the evening news every day. It is real.
IMHO, it is not as bad as they would like us to believe. Anything the drive by media can do to make it appear bad, and in turn, make the President look bad...they will jump on. Unless you listen/watch Fox, you will get the biased view. Sometimes it is quite subtle...maybe just the inflection in the voice of the news reader. Or the hardly contained glee when something bad happens in Iraq.

If it's bad for America, it's good for the media and their political pusuits.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #248
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by billhoover

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

But this is not my doom and gloom..It is the headlines of your daily newspaper and the evening news every day. It is real.
IMHO, it is not as bad as they would like us to believe. Anything the drive by media can do to make it appear bad, and in turn, make the President look bad...they will jump on. Unless you listen/watch Fox, you will get the biased view. Sometimes it is quite subtle...maybe just the inflection in the voice of the news reader. Or the hardly contained glee when something bad happens in Iraq.

If it's bad for America, it's good for the media and their political pursuits.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #249
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"If it's bad for America, it's good for the media and their political pursuits." verrry interesting....... So we are being fed false and miss leading information by our newspapers, Tv , all the media and of course we can not believe anything the politicians tell us...soooo who or where do we go for.....the straight scoop???? If none of what is happening is true..then what is???? and it is not as bad as "they" would have us beleive.....I feel much better.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #250
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
You guys have to watch this video. http://edition.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS...ml#cnnSTCVideo
I hope address is not to long, but I do not know how to shorten it. Happy 4-th to all.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #251
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I sure hope people dont believe everything in the papers and the media!! Yep its just like the politicians, can't believe 90% of what they say. But one thing for certain...I can always rely on Rich for my worldly information and know its an honest and reliable..Just like ole "Charlie Gibson". With these two guys giving me the news when I want, I can keep carving my birds and eating watermelon with that "ease and peace of mind". = God bless and hope all having a great Fourth of July!!
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:25 PM   #252
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I bet tom even took nancy out for dinner tonight , but not to far so he would run out of diesel,probly went to the eagles club sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:09 PM   #253
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Just to set the record straight - my wife also was not able to work (full-time at least) until much later in our marriage -- First being enlisted, with a child and the moves, employers wouldn't hire; then when I was appointed to Personnel Warrant officer, Officer's wives didn't 'work' -- they were expected to volunteer as TLightning's did. Looking at pay scales for 1989, a Major would have been making at least 2200 more a month than I. That additional income gives a lot of additional savings power. Once we started to consider 'changing careers', my wife then sought full-time employment. One would have thought she'd come down with lepracy the way our 'friends' started treating us. Well, you know, we did what we had to do. Many don't realize that if the military retiree passes away, the retirement pay stops to the spouse (unless other measures are taken).... we looked at that and decided that she needed to have something for retirement as well...... Regardless, this discussion gets none of us anywhere -- in all honesty, knowing what I do today, I would probably still make the service a career but I would probably have sought OCS vs. Warrant status; who knows -- as the saying goes, destiny is destiny, it may all work out the same again anyway!!!

Ms. Country Gal - Your comments are valuable to this forum and to me. (Everyone's are!!!). I see a lot of trucks on the road without trailers these days (yet they have louvered tail gates and 5th wheel hitches in them ..... Your comments just validate what I feel I'm seeing - a lot of folks are still traveling but leaving their 5ers either behind or making more 'local' trips while in an area.

Sometimes I may not agree with what is said by anyone (and I get thin skinned at times ) but it would be an awfully dry, boring world if we were all cookie cutter copies of one another. This forum, as we 'self police' is tremendous. It is a true channel of discussion, and more importantly, learning.

Final comment and then I'll be quiet -- I hope everyone has had a great, and safe, 4th of July. We are truly blessed to live in a country as diverse as ours!! Best wishes to all!!
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:20 PM   #254
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
To all Military Personel,past and present... I Thank You for our Freedom.Freedom is not free,it's earned. I thank each one of you. (Diesel in Arroyo Grande,Ca is $5.15,low price in town.) Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:18 AM   #255
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
The cost of fuel has slowed us down a little. We still made a Spring trip to Myrtle Beach and Jekeyl Island (a great place and cg to visit). Dw and I are planning a trip to Traverse City, MI this month, and perhaps a couple other trips in the Michigan area. NOW, our bi-annual trip to Houston, well that's something we'll have to discuss. Our son and grand daughter live down there, so I guess that ends the discussion.

Jim
jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:11 AM   #256
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Tom..You know Helen is a "Bird person" and I think you have a very good customer..

Oh for some positive news. We are at the FCRV Campvention which is a international CANADA/ USA Organization The CA dollar is 1.0195 to the US .9809 so along with the difference in fuel tax structure (Ca is way more) A trip South of the Border is looks good for the Canadian.. Although the numbers are down at the campvention there are a larger than usual number of Canadians here. There is always a positive side..
Old 07-05-2008, 03:19 AM   #257
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Howdy sailer! John hope you and Sharon and the grandkids had a great 4th, and everyone else of the Moc's. We had a great 4th and plenty to eat over at Cruso NC. a really beautiful area at the foot of the Blue Ridge parkway. about 80 rv'ers there and what a blast. Never seen so much food in one place, and so many old friends. a couple of stations at Waynesville NC raised their diesel prices yesterday from $4.61 to $4.75, but just a block away one station was still $4.61, with a pilot about 3 miles away was $4.59 diesel, but they will probably go up today.
Hey Rich, your post's are always interesting to me , you make the forum come alive and upbeat, and I do enjoy. And Helen....dont let Rich shoot no BIRDSSSS!!

Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:26 AM   #258
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I always wondered about this and someone here in the oil rig business said take a look at this..you will be surprised..

http://www.wtrg.com/rotaryrigs.html
Old 07-06-2008, 01:56 AM   #259
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We were planning on pulling the 5er to Texas this winter and living in the park model we purchased last fall, but at the present price of diesel I think we are going to leave the 5er at home. (Gonna have to learn how to winterize it) and buy a cap for the truck, load it up and drive down without it. We would only be storing it for the 5 mos. in Tx. anyway.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 03:46 AM   #260
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Bill I agree, there will be a lot less 5th wheels in the RGV this winter. The Park models will be full. Things are different today vs a year ago. It is very sad. I feel for the ones who can't do as we have in the past. Our little County is number 1. Being number 1 isn't always good. We have the highest unemployment in the State. Everything has moved to Mexico. Thanks NAFTA. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote