Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
Gate Guard

i just thought i would ask any of you out there has any of you done this gate guard in the oil fields in TX i look at the"oldrv" post but they had to close it down because the company made them and not to get in to that but i just was wondering if any of you have done this and your thoughts on the hole thing the wife and i are looking to pad our retirement

jimmy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #2
rollie41
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6844
There is a good discussion on the Escapees.com site.
rollie41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2 Not only does the Escapee's have a good forum for work campers but, it your a member, you can start a good discussion of the topic at the Workamper forum.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #4
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Do a search on RV.net's forums and you should get a good bit of info. There are several on there that have done it for quite some time. Not bad money if you like being alone with nobody to talk to but truck drivers coming and going. Looks like the luck of the draw if you get a rig in Dallas or at least close to civilization or it you are way out by the end of the earth, miles from anything. Oh you have to like a lot of dust and the occasional sloppy muddy mess too.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
MOC member Phil and Rudee did this last winter and wrote a very interesting blog about it, they wrote a LOT about it, you can really get the feel from the posts about their experience.

Phil's Blog Here.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
ya i have looked at allot of site about this topic but allot have been taken down due to an explosion at one of the wells in TX. and the information and pic were put out on the web by the couple that were gate guard so all companies told all there worker that if they do not take it down there sites they would be fired and legal act will be take agest them. i got all the basic information so i was kinda looking some first hand info on this thats all
Old 09-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
James I am confused, of course, that is nothing new.

Phil has his blog posts still up as far as I can see, here is one of his last ones.

I don't know where you are looking, I just know that Phil and Rudee did this last winter and wrote a lot about it.

Here is another post, there are MANY about gate guarding. This is about as first hand reporting as I think you can get.

Phil is NOT working gates now, he has moved on into some other work camping experiences, so I cannot see the company threatening him in such a way. His posts start in November of 2011 and go well into 2012.

Good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
Thanks for the plug Carol.

James,

We worked at a gate from Oct 31st until the first of February. We enjoyed it most of the time but after 14 weeks straight we were ready for a break.
The money was good, very good in fact for a work camping job. The people were nice and took very good care of us as well. We were 16 miles east of Cotulla Texas adjacent to a paved road. We never saw any illegals passing through and only 1 Boarder Patrol vehicle all winter. The further south you are and closer to interstates and railroad tracks your chances of encounters with illegals increases quite a bit.
The worst part of the job is not being able to leave the gate unattended. We sure missed just taking a drive together, go out to dinner etc.
One of us made the drive to town once each week (we alternated) for supplies. We have a splendide w/d in the rig and that helped a lot, the laundry mats were a little "rustic" where we were.

We have moved to a different adventure for this winter but would not hesitate to go back to gate guarding if our current gig doesn't work out for us.

Hope this helps some,

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:02 PM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
If you go to RV.net and in search type in gate guards you should get about 9 pages of posts..
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
jimmy2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12317
thank you phil that is what i was looking for some one that has done this year the other post were a little old we are with you on the down side of the hole thing is that we can not do any thing together thank you for the help Jim
Old 09-24-2012, 12:20 AM   #11
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
if you decide to pursue gate guarding and want to talk some more about it send me a pm and I'll give you my cell #.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote