Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #1
Oak607

M.O.C. #26622
Inverter

My RV 5th wheel hitch opened when leaving a campsite recently and it dropped on my tailgate and destroyed the electrical JB under the pin. Hadn’t went 30’ thank god.
Since then I get Constant power issues to my landing gear or slides and I suspect all the 12v accessories also. My landing gear will only come down if I disconnect and then reconnect the battery. It runs the landing gear for a bit then Usually stops before it’s gone completely through self leveling. I wait for 10-15 minutes and can continue. Same with the slides. I did put a new battery in hoping it was that easy. .
I’m leaning toward a bad inverter? Thoughts? Where is the inverter located?
Thanks

Oak607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Since you have a 2014 Big Sky I am assuming you have hydraulic jacks. There are a number of potential issues here.

1. Crushing the junction box - Was this repaired completely? There is a live 12V circuit in that box that could be affecting other electrical systems.

2. There is always constant power to the hydraulic landing jacks and slide. The only way to turn the power off is to disconnect from shore power and remove a battery cable (either the ground or positive one)

3. Having to disconnect the battery before the jacks will extend is strange. Do you have to disconnect/reconnect before retracting the jacks? How about the slides?

4. The stopping, waiting, then starting of the hydraulic motor is most likely the failure of the 50 amp self resetting circuit breaker. There is tons of dialog here on this beauty and its problems. Here is one reference. https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=78438

5. You do not have an inverter (uses12V DC to create 120V AC). You do have a converter (uses 120V AC to make 112V DC). The converter charges batteries. But it is not strong enough to run the hydraulic pump. You need a good battery to do that.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #3
Oak607

M.O.C. #26622
Wow thanks. That makes sense.
No I’m not sure the JB was repaired completely. I’ll look at it today. When all this went down I could here what I thought was a breaker trying to reset. I’ll replace that 50 amp breaker and look in the JB. I had the work done at Gander Mountain where I bought it. I have had an issue with the service area before. Any idea about a part number and where I can buy that breaker?
Oak607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Be careful with the JB. I am pretty sure there is 12V going thru there at all times to power the brakes if the disconnect pin (whatever it is called) is pulled apart.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Aren't there there two hot 12V lines? one for the brake disconnect switch and and the other is the 12V charge line which connects to the truck system.

A replacement CB can be found at most auto supply store. But it is better to upgrade to an 80 amp one. A link to those can be found in that Thread I referenced before.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote