Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Nitrogen filled tires

Ok, here’s the deal on nitrogen filled tires. If you took high school chemistry, remember that the nitrogen molecule is larger than the O2 molecule. Over time, the O2 molecule escapes through the walls of the tire, as believe it or not, they are porous. Nitrogen looses pressure at a much, much slower rate because of the size of the molecule. Nitrogen is also less affected by heat, thus the tires run cooler, maintaining a more level tire pressure under load. Nitrogen is also far less affected by altitude, which is why aircraft tires are all nitrogen filled. Would I pay for nitrogen filled tires? No. My local Costco fills my tires with nitrogen for free. Can you add air to nitrogen filled tires? Yes, in a pinch, no problem. When you fill your tires with nitrogen, you need to get as much air out of them to start. My Costco literally puts a vacuum on the tire to suck out as much air without breaking the seal on the tire, then fills with nitrogen. Those are the basic benefits of nitrogen filled tires. Worth doing? Definitely, especially traveling through mountains with changing elevations. That’s about it! Safe travels.

Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I think 78% nitrogen that I fill my tires with is plenty, and I can fill them any time I want.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #3
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I think 78% nitrogen that I fill my tires with is plenty, and I can fill them any time I want.
Same here.

Some real data on the subject:

https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...-in-car-tires/
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
CR's tests show that using nitrogen is not worth the money or inconvenience. This common pitch is compelling: Filling your car's tires with nitrogen will reduce air loss, boost fuel economy, reduce rolling resistance, and improve safety.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Free is the only good price unless you are driving a race car or flying an airliner. Otherwise not worth the time or money.

As far as losing air, I typically add 2-3 lbs air in the spring and am good til next spring.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nitrogen personal choice good ole air is good for me.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 02:47 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Whatever my compressor sucks in works for me.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Air is free. And we have an endless supply of it.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:46 PM   #9
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Nitrogen filled tires

Did you not read the part where I said I get my tires filled for FREE. I also said I wouldn’t pay to fill my tires with nitrogen. Having said that you can use your air compressors all you want. Go for it.
Old 08-10-2020, 04:19 AM   #10
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
My TPMS reads tire pressure and temperature. If it's nice out say 80/85 degrees they will only be slightly warmer than that unless the sun is beating on them. Think I've seen them at around 110 before. Well below what it takes for heat to destroy a tire
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:50 AM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Some intersting reading on N2 filled tires: https://www.lesschwab.com/article/ar...-the-cost.html

Also - unless you have a second as a purge valve on the wheels, your N2 fill wont really be 100% and maybe not much better then what normally comes out of your home compressor.

If you are comfortable with spending your time with N2, go for it. My tire lose 1-3 pound over the course of a year as check with my JACO gauge
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:28 AM   #12
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Like I said, I don’t pay for it. I live in Texas where it gets plenty hot and the roads could cook an egg. I often go to the mountains where altitude effects pressure as well. My personal experience is that my tires do run cooler and have less pressure changes and stay pretty constant. I do not run nitrogen in my truck because it would take more maintenance and not worth the trouble. I get mine for free at my local Costco, or from my mechanic at the airport. Nitrogen benefits high pressure tires like my 5er. It is one major reason it is required for aircraft tires, as well as a list of others. I have used nitrogen filled tires for years. Never used more than one stem. Done correctly, a strong vacuum is placed on the tire through the stem to evacuate as much air as possible . Its a pretty strong vacuum. Then fill the tire. Would I pay for it? No, but in high pressure tires it does have benefits. It’s a personal choice.

Dave, the article you linked gets most of its information from a Consumer Reports test using a CAR tire with 30 psi filled tires. Who only puts 30psi in their tires?? Anyway, it all relates to CAR tires. Don’t know where they get their costs for nitrogen from but I have never paid for nitrogen filled tires. The Consumer Reports test agreed that high pressure tires do benefit from nitrogen filled tires, but do not go into any detail because they never tested high pressure tires. Most 5ers use high pressure tires, 80 psi and up. I would say its a big difference between 30 psi and 80 psi. Also, you will never get 100% nitrogen in the tires. Probably about 98%. The other benefit for nitrogen is it helps prevent blow outs. Lots of big rig trucks use nitrogen. For cars, not much benefit for lots of reasons. For high pressure tires, definitely some safety benefits. Is it worth it? Yes. Pay big bucks for it? No. I go off my personal experience of using nitrogen filled tires for years. I have experienced the benefits. Thats what I go on. Again, we are NOT talking about car tires only filled to 30 psi. Am I a big promoter of nitrogen filled tires? Not really unless, you have easy, low or no cost access. Then in my experience, it is definitely worth using.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #13
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Test is on 30 psi CAR tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
Same here.

Some real data on the subject:

https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...-in-car-tires/
The article you linked gets most of its information from a Consumer Reports test using a CAR tire with 30 psi filled tires. Who only puts 30psi in their tires?? Anyway, it all relates to CAR tires. Don’t know where they get their costs for nitrogen from but I have never paid for nitrogen filled tires. The Consumer Reports test agreed that high pressure tires do benefit from nitrogen filled tires, but do not go into any detail because they never tested high pressure tires. Most 5ers use high pressure tires, 80 psi and up. I would say its a big difference between 30 psi and 80 psi, with totally different uses, stresses, and the like. Also, you will never get 100% nitrogen in the tires. Probably about 98%. The other benefit for nitrogen is it helps prevent blow outs. Lots of big rig trucks use nitrogen. For cars, not much benefit for lots of reasons. For high pressure tires, definitely some safety benefits. Is it worth it? Yes. Pay big bucks for it? No. I go off my personal experience of using nitrogen filled tires for years. I have experienced the benefits. Thats what I go on. Again, we are NOT talking about car tires only filled to 30 psi. Am I a big promoter of nitrogen filled tires? Not really unless, you have easy, low or no cost access. Then in my experience, it is definitely worth using. Its a personal choice. I have over 20 years experience using nitrogen filled tires. Whats yours?
Old 08-10-2020, 09:18 PM   #14
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I would choose nitrogen if given a choice for the trailer. Fill it and forget it. Not for the truck because I often raise and lower pressure for towing or going solo. Filling with nitrogen on a trip isn't so convenient.

If it's good for the aircraft I flew, it's good enough for the trailer.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:39 PM   #15
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I would choose nitrogen if given a choice for the trailer. Fill it and forget it. Not for the truck because I often raise and lower pressure for towing or going solo. Filling with nitrogen on a trip isn't so convenient.

If it's good for the aircraft I flew, it's good enough for the trailer.
You get it!!!😂. USANG F-106 Dart. Cessna 172. Same and same.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:52 PM   #16
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
The perceived benefits of nitrogen for normal folks' usage has been debunked many times. If you are a "specialty" user in a "specialty" field the use of it might be of some benefit. Mom and pop driving the pickup/SUV daily and trying to maintain air? Nah. Using a truck to pull an RV across/around the country constantly trying to find "that" nitrogen place....in the back of that little building....and I have a 20' truck and 40' RV??? Real life is real life. Sort of like they are going to mandate an F450 electric truck to pull your RV across the U.S. and the only inconvenience is to pull into some recharge ped every 50 miles, spend 8 hours and move on. Nah
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:27 AM   #17
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
The article you linked gets most of its information from a Consumer Reports test using a CAR tire with 30 psi filled tires. Who only puts 30psi in their tires?? Anyway, it all relates to CAR tires. Don’t know where they get their costs for nitrogen from but I have never paid for nitrogen filled tires. The Consumer Reports test agreed that high pressure tires do benefit from nitrogen filled tires, but do not go into any detail because they never tested high pressure tires. Most 5ers use high pressure tires, 80 psi and up. I would say its a big difference between 30 psi and 80 psi, with totally different uses, stresses, and the like. Also, you will never get 100% nitrogen in the tires. Probably about 98%. The other benefit for nitrogen is it helps prevent blow outs. Lots of big rig trucks use nitrogen. For cars, not much benefit for lots of reasons. For high pressure tires, definitely some safety benefits. Is it worth it? Yes. Pay big bucks for it? No. I go off my personal experience of using nitrogen filled tires for years. I have experienced the benefits. Thats what I go on. Again, we are NOT talking about car tires only filled to 30 psi. Am I a big promoter of nitrogen filled tires? Not really unless, you have easy, low or no cost access. Then in my experience, it is definitely worth using. Its a personal choice. I have over 20 years experience using nitrogen filled tires. Whats yours?

Thats twice you have said you are not a big promoter of nitrogen ,yet here you are
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:34 AM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The perceived benefits of nitrogen for normal folks' usage has been debunked many times. If you are a "specialty" user in a "specialty" field the use of it might be of some benefit. Mom and pop driving the pickup/SUV daily and trying to maintain air? Nah. Using a truck to pull an RV across/around the country constantly trying to find "that" nitrogen place....in the back of that little building....and I have a 20' truck and 40' RV??? Real life is real life. Sort of like they are going to mandate an F450 electric truck to pull your RV across the U.S. and the only inconvenience is to pull into some recharge ped every 50 miles, spend 8 hours and move on. Nah

Well yes California is going to mandate all trucks sold in California are electric. In fact the law has already been passed.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:49 AM   #19
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Well yes California is going to mandate all trucks sold in California are electric. In fact the law has already been passed.
Lynwood
Not exactly ALL trucks. The rules, which would not take effect until 2024, will require at least 40% of all tractor trailers sold in California to be zero emission by 2035. For smaller trucks, including models like the Ford F-250, 55% of all sales would be zero emission by 2035. The standard is tougher for delivery trucks and vans, with 75% of sales required to be zero emission by 2035.

Ref:https://spectrumnews1.com/ca/la-west...-sales-mandate

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/califor...and-van-sales/

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #20
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Lynwood

I know they passed it but making a mandate and implementing it are 2 very different things. The deadline is quite a ways out and it will come at what cost to the average Californian??? We'll be seeing more folks than ever migrate to TX, NM, CO and AZ.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote