Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
BeckCass
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22689
NE in the fall

With the coronavirus, we didn’t take our planned trip to New England this fall. We’re hoping to do so in 2021. How soon do we need to make reservations? We planning to go to Maine, NH, VT, MA, CT and RI as our plan is to eventually hit all 50 states. Any campground suggestions? Thanks.

BeckCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckCass View Post
With the coronavirus, we didn’t take our planned trip to New England this fall. We’re hoping to do so in 2021. How soon do we need to make reservations? We planning to go to Maine, NH, VT, MA, CT and RI as our plan is to eventually hit all 50 states. Any campground suggestions? Thanks.
In my honest opinion this year is overbooked and the rates as well as availability is awful.
We love off season camping. Not only for the reduced rates, Not this year though. Just for the peace and serenity of the kids being back in schools and the quiet, and less crowded.

We use to meet up with other MOC people off season. It use to be 40/night. off season at a state park on the ocean for out of staters. Just made reservations for the first time this year. Same state park but the new rate is 80/day and change. 5 days is over 400 bucks for water and electric..
So I went shopping at other places. I could find M-W at one site then Thur at a different site. Forget about Friday thru Sunday. Straight up thru Columbus day closure.

I have never seen this before in my entire life. I remember calling on a Wednesday and getting something for that weekend after maybe one to two CG offices.
Temps tonight are supposed to be at 32 degrees. Take in your tomato plants and my DW has already turned on the heat this AM.

I predict and early snow and a very long winter.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckCass View Post
As far a suggestions of CG's. It depends on how far you want to travel and time frame. Maine is a large NE state. Upper NY is similar to Vermont. If you start there. Then I would suggest Lake Champaign area on the Vermont side.
The weird thing about New England is there are zero Interstates which traverse east to west. It is all state routes. More scenic yes. However, travel times increase with traffic and stop lights. Vermont has beautiful scenery. I haven't camped in VT in years. Probably because I live in NH and they are so similar with the exemption of taxation. Ben and jerry's and Build a bear are popular toristy areas. Then on to the the Basin of Mount Washington in NH. Beautiful and scenic. Follow along back to the Atlantic and visit Portsmouth NH Strawberry bank, and visit the city, followed by a trip to Portland, Kittery and Wells Maine for some of the best seafood in the entire USA. Head up to the coast and See Arcida National park with some great campgrounds on the Ocean.
If you are real adventurous Head to Moose head lake. Near the Caniadian Border. Don't forget about East Port, The most eastern Contentinal body in the USA.

Lots to do, Lots to see, Not just leaf peeping.
Just looked up your profile. OH, I've never camped there. Been to a few MOC rallies in IND. Just stopped at ceder point and it was closed for Halloween renovations. Sad. Bottom of lake Erie.
Got to see the Base ball Stadium Rigly field though, driving by.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We generally plan on a New England trip and then possibly into Canada after Labor Day as the crowds before that day can be tough and traffic can be brutal especially along the coast. As far as reservations, have seldom had a problem after that magical September day. We seldom stop in MA or CT as we really love the Maine coast as well as New Hampshire's White Mountains. RI unfortunatel for us has been a 'pass through' state though stayed one night many years ago

We usually go to Maine and NH and getting there can be interesting and from your area, can be costly in tolls (I-90 in NY and MA). There are alternative routes but take you through many one stop light towns (US 20).

Getting to VT, NH and Manine can be easily done via I-87 (Adirondack Northway) taking a ferry or bridge across Lake Champlain (Exit 31 to Essex NY) to Burlington, VT (nice CGs in that area) then I-89/I-91 to I-95 in NH then north to Maine. We are doing a seasonal near that Exit 31 off I-87 in Westport and usually do our travels to NE from there,

Do some basic trip planning then ask us again for some follow up. This NE area is a pretty large area with mountains that can make your trave;s interesting. Do not use US 2 across VT as a connector road unless you feel the need to test the suspension on your TV and 5er and your good nature. We did that last year. Big mistake.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:03 AM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
When in NY, be careful to NOT drive on any parkway. No rvs allowed. The road along the lake from Niagara Falls to Rochester is one. I almost found out why the hard way. Under pass was 14 ft (my rig then was 12'7"). Next one was 13.5, then 13, so I took the next exit. I could read the sign while exiting - 11 or 12 ft something!
Also, there is a historic site just North of the falls - Old Fort Niagara. Pretty interesting and colorful with people in costume, etc.
And Arcadia has LOTS of lobster shacks for dining if in season. Wife ate one every day and on the last day I told her to go for the biggest. It was huge and the next day while traveling she didn't even want lobster rolls for lunch!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:23 PM   #6
RK & Jen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21545
I planned our current trip to see the leaves change back in July. First stop in the North East was Branches of Niagara on Grand Island for 5 nights (over Labor Day weekend), then to Poland NY for 2 nights, then Westport NY for 7 nights. Currently at Moose River Campground in Saint Johnsbury, VT for 7 nights. After here it's off to Palmyra, ME, Trenton ME, Saco ME, Bristol NH, West Kingston RI, East Lyme CT, then start working our way back to Illinois. So far no issues at any of the campgrounds. Fishing and golf has been good. Our first time in New England and glad we made the trip. As for cost the most expensive has been Branches of Niagara Campground at $85.00 per night. Moose River is $39.00 per night.
RK & Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 01:13 PM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Interesting trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK & Jen View Post

Westport NY for 7 nights - I noticed a Montana w/IL plates a week or so ago. This is our seasonal CG

Trenton ME, Timberland Acres? If so, nice CG. We like sites in the 210-220 line as it has little traffic

Saco ME - KOA? Homestead on the River? We have stayed at the KOA. Try for a site away from US 1. The other was a many year CG but over 30 years ago

\.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:49 PM   #8
Kiernan's Mom

M.O.C. #26942
Hi I'v been up here in Lubec ME most of the summer and see a lot more Vermont plates than in the last two years. That is probably what is driving the lack of places available to stay. The other thing is many places just did not even open or have very limited services. I was at the Sunset Point RV Park the other day ( https://www.sunsetpointrvpark.com/ ) they seemed to have sites and the rates were $35/day & $220/ week. It is a beautiful park with some of the prettiest sunsets you will ever see. The price of Lobst'ah and seafood is very reasonable too. On your way up, stop in Belfast ME for a truly great meal of the freshest seafood. I like The Lobster Pound. Did you check rates at Thomas Point in Brunswick ME (https://www.thomaspointbeach.com/camping) Their rates were $30/night.
I am not sure now after Labor Day. And from what I've noted our temperatures are warmer than central VT. I am sure there is also more sun too. It is a whole other world.
Kiernan's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:34 AM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
When in NY, be careful to NOT drive on any parkway. No rvs allowed. The road along the lake from Niagara Falls to Rochester is one. I almost found out why the hard way. Under pass was 14 ft (my rig then was 12'7"). Next one was 13.5, then 13, so I took the next exit. I could read the sign while exiting - 11 or 12 ft something!
Also, there is a historic site just North of the falls - Old Fort Niagara. Pretty interesting and colorful with people in costume, etc.
And Arcadia has LOTS of lobster shacks for dining if in season. Wife ate one every day and on the last day I told her to go for the biggest. It was huge and the next day while traveling she didn't even want lobster rolls for lunch!!!
We did the same exact thing several years ago headed to 4 mile creek state park. The GPS wanted to take us on 90west. I said to myself, why not just keep going north and then west along the coast. So that is what I did. Sign said no commercial trucks. I'm not commercial, so away we went.

Then came the first of 3-4 arched bridges with clearance signs well below our height. I crawled under all 3-4 in the center of the road at 5mph with the mirrors pointed up. LOL. Will not do that again.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote