Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2021, 07:14 AM   #1
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
Austin, TX temp RV storage?

Hi All! I hope your summer is going as awesome as ours is!

We will interrupt our winter southern tour to fly back to Michigan for a few weeks over the Holidays this year. We will be flying out of, then back into, Austin, TX. We are Thousand Trails members, and when we have done this kind of thing in the past we have stored our RV at a TT location. However, the closest TT to Austin has limited storage space and can't assure us there would be a spot (currently, they do not have a spot).

I've cold called a couple of storage places, but they are geared toward seasonal storage, not short time, and couldn't guarantee there would be anything available. Just wondering if any of you fine MOC people have any suggestions, or know of any places I should check?

Thanks a bunch!

Old 08-20-2021, 10:34 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
"T T Location" ?? not sure I know what that is.

Are you looking for covered storage? or just a secured storage yard?
What side of Austin do you need? North? South? East? etc.
RV storage yards are all over the place.
I have no idea what the cost range may be - but I have a feeling the closer to town you get - the higher the price will get.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:03 AM   #3
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
"T T Location" ?? not sure I know what that is.

Are you looking for covered storage? or just a secured storage yard?
What side of Austin do you need? North? South? East? etc.
RV storage yards are all over the place.
I have no idea what the cost range may be - but I have a feeling the closer to town you get - the higher the price will get.
TT is short for Thousand Trails in my post. Most of the Thousand Trails campgrounds also have RV storage. However, the location where we will be staying cannot say if they will be able to accommodate us. Hence, the search for a place.

Just looking for secure storage outside, anywhere in the Austin area. No need to be covered. Yes, RV storage yards are plentiful. However, my experience has been that most cannot (or will not) accommodate a 3 week in and out need. I can certainly find them and just start contacting them all one at a time, but I thought first I would take a shot at tapping into the vast knowledge of the good people on this forum to see if someone might have a lead.

Thanks for the reply!
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:45 AM   #4
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The nearest Thousand Trails spot is about 90 minutes southeast at Columbus, TX. If that is too far, you might look for storage on the east side of greater Austin in Taylor, Elgin, Bastrop or Lockhart so that access to the Airport will be easier. I am in Georgetown area, but I suspect storage costs more here because lots of Sun City folks are storing RVs locally.
Old 08-20-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
The nearest Thousand Trails spot is about 90 minutes southeast at Columbus, TX. If that is too far, you might look for storage on the east side of greater Austin in Taylor, Elgin, Bastrop or Lockhart so that access to the Airport will be easier. I am in Georgetown area, but I suspect storage costs more here because lots of Sun City folks are storing RVs locally.
Yes, that is the TT we will be staying at. I think it's 85 miles to the airport. Our plan was to store the RV at the Thousand Trails in Columbus, then drive to the airport and park in long term parking. Like I mentioned, we may not be able to store our RV there, so looking for some place around there.

Thanks for the suggestions - I will check those places out.

Tom and Cathy
Old 08-20-2021, 04:37 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It is possible, and much easier overall, to just leave the trailer in an RV spot there at TT?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Screen shot below is from one of the storage yards in Georgetown...price per month for covered and uncovered spot per month. Weigh this against Carl’s suggestion of leaving your unit at the campground for 3 weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B843F391-DC54-4917-B07B-C41725FF501D.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	9980  
Old 08-20-2021, 06:56 PM   #8
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
Thank you both for your replies!

I can check with TT on taking a spot for 3 weeks. Leaving it at the TT campground, in storage or on a site, would be the best option. However, we have been in a TT campground where they prohibit that explicitly. You couldn’t be away from your rig for more than a week.

And, thanks for the info on Georgetown! Those outside rates look very reasonable to me at first blush.

Thanks again, and I think I’m on my way here
TomCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 07:09 PM   #9
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I would guess Georgetown rates might be higher than Taylor, Elgin, Bastrop or Lockhart. Good luck in your search.

Tags
austin, storage