Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
PI EMS HW50-C install question

I have the Progressive EMS HW50-C and am finally getting around to installing it. The instructions are straight-forward, easy to follow, and I found a good spot to mount it. My problem is, I'm kind of a perfectionist and don't want it to look like a hack job, even tho nobody will ever see it. I am wrestling with the 6 gauge wire, trying desperately to get all 3 wires into their terminals with a minimum of bending and flexing of the wires. The 2 wires on the output side with the sensors were especially difficult. When I had it finished, I didn't like the looks of it and now intend to do it over (I was fortunate enough to have plenty of wire). Does anyone out there have any secrets to working with this heavy wire to help it go a bit easier? I've seen the pix Bingo posted awhile back, and they were helpful. In fact, it seems everyone on this forum who has tackled this job has had a fairly easy time of it. It was your testimonies that convinced me I could handle it. I'm a DIYer and didn't anticipate any problems, but this heavy gauge wire is tough to do a good, clean job with...for me, anyway.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I have not done that job but have worked with 6 gauge wire working for Verizon. One thing is to use objects or the edge of a table to make bends. If you want a 90 deg bend use the edge of a table, if you want a rounded bend use anything from a screwdriver handle to a spray can. If it gets out of round and you want it straight, roll it on a table using your palms to work out any bends. Getting it into tight places and keeping it nice is hard. If you can measure or guesstamate the bends it has to make before hand and work it into place that helps.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Those seem like reasonable solutions, unfortunately, I have to snake the wires into the box thru the wire restraint and then somehow work them into their terminals. There isn't a heck of a lot of room, so the wires need to be cut to the same length and directed together into their terminals. The input side is somewhat manageable, but, as in my previous post, the output side requires sensors on the two "hot" wires. That tends to complicate things. Rolling and forming the wires would have to occur after the wire is thru the restraint and into the box, with limited space.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
B&W Companion
Old 07-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I did mine and helped with a couple others. the wires inside the box need professional connections to the terminals. Not cosmetic look to the eye. With the sensors on the black and red lines you do what you can to get them in there and make clean proffessional looking connections at the screw slots.
Thats my story and I am sticking to it. Especially with #6 wire.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I look at it this way: It's my rig so I want the job done right, even if it isn't pretty, when I'm done it will be done right. If you hire the job out, you can only hope that the person will use the same care you would, but face it, it's not their rig, just a job to them. I'm with John, make it electrically correct and don't worry if it isn't pretty.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I agree with John and Michelle. Try to form all the wires to the configuration you want and put them into the EMS at the same time. This may help to make them look a little neater.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I had mine professionally installed. It not only works perfectly, it looks great, too!

A man has to know his limitations....
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #8
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Dave,

I feel your pain. I was lucky in a sense that since I was wiring the subpanels and the EMS to a wood panel first I was able to have it flat and with plenty of room to work. I used needle nosed and regular vise grips with the jaws taped up with electrical tape to protect the wire while I bent it to the correct length. Positioning the sensors just right so the wires tucked in correctly was fun! !

Like John said, function is more important than form on this but if you take a couple of deep breaths it will come out all right.

Good luck,

Les
Old 07-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Thanks everyone. With a fresh start this morning, I was able to see things more clearly and it went a lot easier. There are things I'd like to improve on, but, bottom line, it's in and functioning the way it's supposed to. Tell ya what tho, these old bones are all set with spending time in the basement for awhile!

B&W Companion