Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2005, 07:42 AM   #1
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Ford psd filters

I used to have a list of 'approved filters' from Chrysler for my Cummins.

Now I have an 05 Ford PSD is there such a list of approved filters from Ford?

What filters are you using for your Ford psd and part number if possible?

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 11:12 AM   #2
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
I use the Napa brand fuel and air filters. They are made by Wix Filters. Sorry I do not have the part numbers with me.
party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Illipah, the approved filter list for your (and my) 6.0 PSD is very short: Motorcraft. Period. The warranty requires you use Motorcraft filters, at least at this time. Ford says in the fine print that is because nobody else filters particles as fine as theirs. I could not tell you if that's accurate but that is what it says.

You can find the Motorcraft FL2016 oil filters in a very few Walmarts for around $17. Or you can buy the International version of the same thing (I've used these) for around $21. Or buy them from Ford for about $38 (that was over a year ago they charged that price).

Fuel filters I've not found anywhere but at Ford, although I've not checked in awhile. I got a "deal" of about 30% off by buying 3 at a time, so ask about that.

Hopefully one of these days someone will come out with a cheaper filter that meets the specs. I haven't even found what the specs are, though, although the info is probably available.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
The Wal-Marts in our area have stopped carrying Motorcraft filters, must be some kind of deal with Fram. I now have to go to a Auto Parts store to get the Motorcraft Filters.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:36 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
K&N Air filter 63-2546 see their web site...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
ok, continuing my quest I found:

http://www.parker.com/racor/Prodbul/...98-PFL2016.pdf

Also:
Oil filters that WILL FIT:
Baldwin P7235
Carquest 84314
Donaldson P7550528
Ford FL2016
Fram CH9549
International 1840752C91
Mighty M2016
Napa 7314
Racor PFL2016 (Kit #), Racor 32007 (element #)
Wix 57314

THESE DO NOT FIT:
LP2016
SDFL2016
P2103AJ

FUEL FILTERS:
Napa 3599
AC Delco GF691
Baldwin PF7812 kit
Donaldson P550527
Ford 3C3Z-9N184-CA
Luberfiner L4604F
Motorcraft FD4604
Wix 33599

Transmission:

Napa 7702
Baldwin P7247
Ford 3CSZ-7B155BA
Hastings TF184
Luberfiner LH1145
Motorcraft FT145
Wix 57702
Old 06-10-2005, 03:12 PM   #7
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
I use K&N air filter, which I believe is best. Oil filter I buy at the local auto parts store. Just by top of the line. Fuel filters, which ford sells for $90, I buy from Diesel Injection Sales & Services in San Antonio, Texas which sells 6 for $90 plus UPS. If you just get 2 its 18.99 each plus $8.53 UPS. Can't beat that. Never had a problem with thir filters. Their number is (210-648-4500).
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:40 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The diesel manual for the 6.0PSD says the oil and fuel filters MUST be the motorcraft filters to maintain the warranty. It says they filter smaller particles than do aftermarket products. Since we purchased this truck last October, it is very possible this has changed and an aftermarket supplier now has a product that would meet Ford specifications. I have not found any specification numbers so don't know what to look for. Does anyone have any information on aftermarket filters acceptable to Ford that will not void the engine warranty?
Old 06-10-2005, 07:10 PM   #9
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
Try filter1.com can supply any filter at cheaper prices then anywhere else.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:35 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The warranty issue is one that needs to be understood.While the truck is under warranty (any brand) and you use a product that is NOT specified by the manufacture you will place your warranty at risk. That includes ANY modification or add on to your truck. So take your chances. Side note...K&N does NOT make a air filter for the 05 Ford Sd 6.8L because k&n says the ford filter is better than any they could make..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 05:05 AM   #11
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Steve, Just checked my PSD supplement and for filters it states nothing about warranty issue on filter type. For the oil it gives part number followed by 'or equivalent'. Air filter seems to be an issue of some nature. Fuel filter was just the number.

For oil filter info look at:

http://www.parker.com/racor/Prodbul/...98-PFL2016.pdf

Racor seems to be the supplier to Ford and this site was pretty specific on why oil filter is selective. Especially note the part about "forcing the filter to fit".

My local (or is it LOCO) Ford dealer wants $94.62 for fuel filter kit, Wix is $33.07........
I know, you pay your money and take your chances.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:39 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Illapah, I just checked my '05 manual, too, and found the same as you. I don't have the '03 6.0 PSD manual anymore but am pretty sure it read differently, perhaps because the 6.0 was new and there were no "equivalents" out there. Maybe someone with an '03 will let us know what it says.

Anyhow, I found there are specification numbers for antifreeze and oil and any that meet that spec are ok.

Also, oil filter now says "or equivalent" but gives no specification number, unless that long number 3C3Z-6731-AA is intended as a spec number. I am just about positive in my '03 manual it said I had to use the Motorcraft filter but apparently there are now filters out there Ford considers acceptable. On page 37 it says "Use Ford engine Oil Filter Part No. 3C3Z-6731-AA (FL-2016) or equivalent. These filters protect your engine by filtering harmful, abrasive or sludge particles. The FL-2016 filters particles significantly smaller than most available "will-fit" filters." That leaves room for the equivalents. By the way, in Savannah, GA, the JiffyLube carries the Motorcraft oil and fuel filters but I've been unable to find any other JiffyLube that carries them.

For fuel filters it just lists the Ford part number, as you said. On page 16 it says "Replace the fuel filters with Ford Part No. FD-4604. This part number includes filters and seals for both the engine-mounted and frame-mounted filters." That one seems to leave no room for any other brand, at least at the time it was published.

For the air filter it also doesn't say anything about "or equivalent". It just says "When replacing the air filter element, use the Motorcraft air filter element listed." That filter is around a hundred bucks last time I asked but, fortunately, is supposed to last 70k to 100k in normal use, according to two different Ford techs I asked. And on my '03, the gauge showed just a low amount of blockage when we traded it at 51k miles.

On page 29 it says "Use only recommended fuel, lubricants, fluids and service parts conforming to Ford specifications," which is what you'd expect them to say.

I know the Rotella T meets Ford's specs for oil but I'll have to check around for filters meeting the specs. Maybe one of those mentioned above. I'll have to check this out. But air filter and fuel filter it appears I'll have to use the Motorcraft parts until they say it's ok to use an equivalent. I will not risk the 100k mile engine warranty over a few bucks for a filter. Just my approach to this, though. But soon as a cheaper part that meets the specs is available, then I'll switch.

Thanks for the clue on the new manual reading.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:47 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just did a search on that number for oil filters and came up with some links.

http://powerstrokepartsusa.com/category.asp?cat=1 sells the motorcraft parts way below ford's prices.

http://powerstrokepartsusa.com/category.asp?cat=1 sells napa filters made by racor for $13.35. I haven't yet read the document that says it shows equivalency.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...&siteid=213996 claims to be all motorcraft parts but the pictures for the 6.0 filters don't match with the real part.

http://www.powerstrokedieselparts.co...e3d34c8faf9778 powerstrokediesel site. i think thedieselstop also has them.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:13 AM   #14
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Ok good price on OEM filters. Think I will order here now,

http://www.nationalfleetparts.com/6_0l.asp
Old 06-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #15
Baird
Established Member

M.O.C. #662
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Illipah, the approved filter list for your (and my) 6.0 PSD is very short: Motorcraft. Period. The warranty requires you use Motorcraft filters, at least at this time. Ford says in the fine print that is because nobody else filters particles as fine as theirs. I could not tell you if that's accurate but that is what it says.

You can find the Motorcraft FL2016 oil filters in a very few Walmarts for around $17. Or you can buy the International version of the same thing (I've used these) for around $21. Or buy them from Ford for about $38 (that was over a year ago they charged that price).

Fuel filters I've not found anywhere but at Ford, although I've not checked in awhile. I got a "deal" of about 30% off by buying 3 at a time, so ask about that.

Hopefully one of these days someone will come out with a cheaper filter that meets the specs. I haven't even found what the specs are, though, although the info is probably available.
Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 01:18 PM   #16
Baird
Established Member

M.O.C. #662
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Old 06-30-2005, 01:32 PM   #17
Baird
Established Member

M.O.C. #662
As the regional manager for Baldwin Filter Co. Baldwin supplies all the filters for all Diesel and Gas powered equipment. The Moss-Magnuson Warrantee Act is a federal law that states that "any manufacturer that mandates their branded product must be used to maintain the warrantee must supply the product to the end user for the life of the warrantee at no charge". That is the law. Ford, Dodge, GM do not manufacture filters. They must buy from manufacturers like our company which is a certified Ford Q9000 supplier.Buy the best deal you can as the Filter Manufacturers warrantees are generally better that the OEM's.The Ford oil filter kit is usually sold at or below $20 and the fuel filter kit is $50 or less.
Old 06-30-2005, 03:04 PM   #18
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Thanks Baird. I think I think too hard at times and make times hard.
Old 07-04-2005, 08:30 AM   #19
abrown134
Established Member

M.O.C. #2078
This topic has been beat up pretty good on all the diesel sites. The previous poster is right about the Moss-Magnusson law. If they say you must use their product to maintain warranty, they must provide it.
I buy my filters from filter 1. These are WIX filters and if you put a Motorcraft oil filter and a WIX side by side, they are exactly the same. Same instuction pamplet, same patent #, just different packaging. Prices are a lot better than what I can get locally, and they are usually shipped same day. But a few filters, and shipping is free.

www.filter1.com

Aaron
abrown134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:43 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Baird. What brands are you referring to and where would I buy them?

Thanks, Aaron, for the Wix info.

This week I found the local walmart is one of the few who carry the Motorcraft oil filters for the 6.0. So I bought two. I still had two so am set for awhile but eventually will need filters. I paid 19.83 and tax at Walmart. Ford gets double that. But I'm always open for new options.