Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2023, 12:31 PM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Random sewer odor

Postings of random sewer odors pop up frequently. Sometimes the cause is found. Often it goes unresolved. So my question.

The black tank flush anti siphon valve has an atmospheric vent to allow air to enter the pipes to prevent siphoning. The atmosphere it vents to, of course, is the inside of the RV. That vent closes while flushing, and then opens when not flushing to allow air to enter the pipe so the water will drain into the black tank. Seems not many people are aware of that atmospheric venting function. So much for the operation.

Now if that anti siphon vent is open, and all the water drains out of the pipe to the black tank, and the water in the black tank is below the spray head, then there is an open air path from the black tank thru the pipe to the anti siphon vent. That means that any positive pressure in the black tank could push odors up to that vent. Positive pressure could be due to flushing with a blocked or partially blocked black tank roof vent, or strong wind blowing just right to try to push air down that roof vent, or …. Another possible cause would be running a ceiling vent fan with all windows and doors closed. Air going out the vent has to be replaced by new air coming in thru any crack or crevice open to outside air. And that could also potentially pull air thru the anti siphon valve vent.

Have never heard of anyone tracing the odor to the anti siphon valve. But then has anyone ever thought of that possibility. Never heard anyone mention it. Curious minds wonder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A5B5F9C7-BAB6-4816-BA92-333C6B903EAD.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	14390  
Attached Images

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 02:28 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Hmmmmm? I think I finally got so far off in left field no one dared venture a comment.
Old 04-21-2023, 03:14 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I guess that's possible. I have read of people having a smell under the kitchen (island) sink. They covered the "Air Admittance valve" under there with a baggie and taped it off. The smell went away. Bad Air Admittance valve.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 03:21 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I remember some of those discussions. That would be galley tank or grey tank odor. Don’t know how vile that is compared to black tank odor.
Old 04-21-2023, 05:24 PM   #5
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I thought was an excellent illustration and hypothesis and most likely the absolute truth. As with so many great bits of information gained from this forum - I hope my brain can remember this when I need it! Thanks BB!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 04:13 PM   #6
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Hmmmmm? I think I finally got so far off in left field no one dared venture a comment.
Is left field where the septic tank is located ?
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 09:16 AM   #7
J10er
Established Member

M.O.C. #24824
I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head. Excellently explained.
J10er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 06:07 AM   #8
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I always recommend a change in diet
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:27 AM   #9
C&P RV
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30294
Hmmm. This is certainly a plausible explanation. I know we've experienced worse smells when the air vent is open, fan is off and a very light wind outside blows air from the black tank vent pipe toward the open air vent.
Air vent open, fan on and no other windows cracked in the RV can really cause a smell to occur - and your diagram shows a very good reason why.
Ironically, the toilet paper holder is mounted on the inside of the cabinet door EXACTLY where the anti-siphon valve is located. Can't take care of business without accessing that area!!
Like Mike said, I hope I remember to check this on our next trip.
C&P RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 10:25 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It will be interesting to see if anyone can actually trace the sewer odor to the anti siphon valve. Many of us removed the anti siphon valve, connected the two pipes together, and installed an external vacuum breaker valve due to having had the anti siphon valve leaking (as mine did), or in some cases as a proactive measure to eliminate the possibility of a leak. Of course that also unknowingly removed the possibility of odor coming from that potential source.

Simply the musings of an idle mind.