Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2020, 03:33 PM   #41
Rod Spohn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24052
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Keep in mind that a 4300-6500w gen you will be blowing through fuel using your AC. With those size gens a soft start is not needed. Where the A/C soft start comes into play is say running your AC with a 2000w gen. A/C without soft start requires peak starting power of about 3200w then it immediately drops to 1200-1500w hence the need for a soft start that allows small gens or solar to start an A/C. If you have a soft start remove your A/C cover on the roof and look for what looks like a added metal box that looks out of place. You can google soft start AC and see what they actually look like. It is likely you do not have one it is not a factory item.

Hope this helps.

by the way instead of a large Gen buy two small say 2200-2500w that you can pair. This allows you to run just one when needed and conserve fuel. They are much easier to store and handle as well. They will also be much quieter than the larger one. I just sold my 3500 Predator last week it was just too heavy and I am buying two smaller gens I can pair.
So maybe a dumb question, but wouldn’t you have to leave both small generators going so you have the needed power when the AC cycles.

Rod Spohn is offline   Reply With Quote