Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #1
aholzbaur

M.O.C. #25930
2020 Pricing

Hey all,

We are getting ready to do at least a year of full timing starting this September. We have already started looking at units and with lots of 2020’s clearing out for 2021’s soon, we are looking to jump in as soon as we find a deal we can’t pass up. We have a place we will be able to keep it for the few interm months where we will be able to slowly pack and load up. We really like the foorplans for the 3761FL (MSRP $102,864 with clearance price of $67,995) and 3791RD (MSRP $100,809 with clearance price of $66,635).

At this time of the year, what would be considered “good” and “great” discounts to MSRP? We are in northern VA if that makes a huge difference.

Thanks in advance!

aholzbaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's going to be hard to push them lower this time of year because they have hope of selling into the spring rush. Fall and winter are the best times, in my experience. That said move fast and you may be able to push it down some more if they're short of money to bring new inventory in.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
aholzbaur

M.O.C. #25930
Thank you! If I can expect very little wiggle room with current pricing, is the approx 33.5% discount worth jumping on a 2020, or low enough that I should just consider holding out and looking at 2021’s closer to departure?
Old 03-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #4
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
We purchased our 2019 3791RD Legacy with Full Body Paint in Sept of 2019, however we purchased it used it had an MSRP of $110K, sold for in Dec of 2018 $86K I bought it for $58K and it still had a few months warranty left (Note: 1st ownership warranty is transferable to 2nd owner). Look at the loss the original owner took, and I purchased from a dealer so they made profit also.

With that said I had negotiated a new 2019 3791 (non Legacy) to $57K (delivered from South Dakota to Seattle, this was Sept 2019) but decided for same $$$ as the new the used had the legacy package and Full Body Paint (about $15K in options). Considering the dealer cost did not change much in the last year you should expect to easily buy a 2020 under 60K but not until Aug or Sept.

Ours was barely used by the previous owner in fact we cannot tell if it was even slept in. I will tell you this I would NEVER buy a new Montana ours just got out of jail, it sat at the dealer for 3.5 months waiting for warranty the hold up was not the dealer but it was Keystone slow to ship parts needed. Buy one that someone else dealt with the warranty delays...

I would buy 1 or 2 year old model where likely the warranty bugs have been worked out and most of the initial depreciation has been absorbed by the 1st owner. Yes new is nice but the value hit is huge.

Also after having the Legacy Package and FBP I would not own a non Legacy. Also the non Legacy's do not have Disc Brakes which is a game changer, Plan for about $3K to have those installed it is not a matter of If but when.

Good Luck
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #5
aholzbaur

M.O.C. #25930
Thank you for all that good advice. We certainly have a better handling on pricing and when to buy now. Looks like we should use thus time to continue looking at a few different floor plans and expect to purchase for a few months out still.

Thanks everyone!
Old 03-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
aholzbaur

M.O.C. #25930
Hey all, as an update, with everything corona going on we started putting out feelers to dealers this morning about potential pricing on some units MSRP between $101-103k. We have gotten two dealers that within an hour of online contact were ready and looking to make deals at $57,995. As mentioned before we aren’t looking to start traveling until late august early September, but this was pricing that sound advice said I wouldn’t likely see until late summer.

With everything going on right now, is this a deal I should be jumping on? This is right around a 44% discount. I don’t want to lose what could be a great deal, but if there is a little more money to be saved in waiting, I would be willing to hold off for another few weeks.

Thoughts?

Thanks for everyone’s help so far. So close to finally hitting the road!
Old 03-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Check at the end of the month. If they are close to their quota you can get a heck of a deal.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:43 PM   #8
grass man
Established Member

M.O.C. #24971
I bought at the Hershey show this past year. 2020 3931 with Legacy pak and stack washer/dryer installed for $75,000.00 Don't know if that is good or bad just wanted to give you another number.

Grassman.
grass man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholzbaur View Post
Hey all,

We are getting ready to do at least a year of full timing starting this September. We have already started looking at units and with lots of 2020’s clearing out for 2021’s soon, we are looking to jump in as soon as we find a deal we can’t pass up. We have a place we will be able to keep it for the few interm months where we will be able to slowly pack and load up. We really like the foorplans for the 3761FL (MSRP $102,864 with clearance price of $67,995) and 3791RD (MSRP $100,809 with clearance price of $66,635).

At this time of the year, what would be considered “good” and “great” discounts to MSRP? We are in northern VA if that makes a huge difference.

Thanks in advance!
Those are not clearance prices in fact far from it. Last year I purchased a 2019 3791RD, where as in Sept of 2019 there were several new the market for $57-58K. I ended up negotiating a new 2019 (Non Legacy) located in South Dakota for $58K including delivery to Seattle. However just before I sent my deposit I found a Used (6 month old) 2019 3791 with Legacy package and Full Body Paint. I ended up paying $58K and that was from a Dealer (located in Sacramento area) so you can imagine how much less they paid for it.

With the virus understand that 2021 models are a ways off (fall 2020). With all the campground restriction, personal investments savings (like 401K and others) in the toilet it should be a buyers market very soon right now sales are likely down.

I saw in Oct and Nov of 2019 there were 2020's advertised for $66,900 so your price is nothing special. Note MSRP means absolutely nothing it is a fictional price pulled out of someones butt.

I recommend buying one a year old that way the original owner has hopefully had all the bugs worked out saving you warranty down time and you do not take such a depreciation hit. I just had the 1st year end warranty list don it was at the dealer 3.5 months...

Look mine had an MSRP of $110K sold for $84K (keep in mind it had Legacy and Full body Paint) I purchased for $58k all in a 6-7 month period.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:49 PM   #10
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Hey all, as an update, with everything corona going on we started putting out feelers to dealers this morning about potential pricing on some units MSRP between $101-103k. We have gotten two dealers that within an hour of online contact were ready and looking to make deals at $57,995. As mentioned before we aren’t looking to start traveling until late august early September, but this was pricing that sound advice said I wouldn’t likely see until late summer.

With everything going on right now, is this a deal I should be jumping on? This is right around a 44% discount. I don’t want to lose what could be a great deal, but if there is a little more money to be saved in waiting, I would be willing to hold off for another few weeks.

Thoughts?

You should maybe look at possible rigs with Legacy especially if the prices are dropping. Legacy package includes Disc brakes which is a game changer, plus Legacy has other nice features. Since there are also fewer made resell will be a little better.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #11
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Give it time. With everything shut down the dealing will be good once business opens again. Found a 2020 Chevy 3500 for 61k. The deals are coming
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:58 PM   #12
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:

Thoughts?

That is a good price you should jump on it. Even though you do not plan to use it for a couple months you will have warranty issues (they all do) better off getting it a couple months before full time to work out the bugs. This applied for all models and brands...

The last thing you want is to move in and then have to move out while warranty is being done. Our warranty work took 3.5 months...
Old 03-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #13
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Ignore the MSRP. With that, any advertised price can be beat. Don't be afraid to cut them off at the knees with your offer. They will whine and cry but ignore their response. Let them know you are shopping around and use this virus scare to your advantage.

A thought about a used one. Beware, it could be ok or it could be a turd. Read threads here about problems with brand new units. People will sell their problems without disclosure.

Full time for a year... Getting jealous over here!
Old 03-20-2020, 11:34 AM   #14
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Hold off for bit. I think prices are going to get real low.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #15
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Hold off for bit. I think prices are going to get real low.
It is not going any lower, it is priced just above invoice, Dealers are not going to sell inventory below invoice especially when new production is slowed or halted and 2021 are still 6 months out. These models are quality inventory being one of the better sellers for Keystone. Overall RV dealers are in pretty good financial shape just look at their inventory levels considering the recent economy with Record RV sales. More expensive RV buyers generally are not impact by economy as much as the $10K-$29K rv buyers who are generally more vulnerable to recessions. This relates to mid to high end Trailers like the Montana is the better recession inventory that will deliver some profits. I owned 3 boat dealerships for 15 years (sold them about 12 years ago) Saw several recessions during that time our high end inventory was what we lived on during hard times.

Again $57K right now is a great price 6 months before 2021 come out and there may not be very many more 2020's out of Keystone in the next few months so inventory cold tighten.

When $56K in North Dakota in Sept was the best I found so this is just before the deep freeze of winter set in and they would have rather sit on it at $56k then sell for less. That tells me that is the bottom price and I was looking to buy anywhere in the US. I was told by 3 dealers that $56-$57K is basically invoice for the 3791RD model.
Old 03-25-2020, 02:19 PM   #16
watsonjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18104
If you are in Virginia definitely give RV Outlet USA in Ringold VA a call. We bought our new Legacy Montana from them In 2017 and got a screaming deal. Way better then we had seen anywhere else. We drove there from our home in Georgia to pick it up
watsonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 02:43 PM   #17
Eddiea
Established Member

M.O.C. #20773
I purchased a 3610, 2016 in Aug 2016. The 2017 were on the way.
I got it for 35% off list price. May be hard to get below that 35% unless irs a model that won’t move.
Eddiea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #18
watsonjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18104
Feb 2017 we paid 65,850 for a 2017 Montana 3721RL Legacy MSRP 112.244.
watsonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 04:00 PM   #19
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Hey all,

Thanks in advance!
Yeah just because the markets are down, I wouldn't expect dealers to drop prices yet. They are use to these things sitting around for at least a year or more. If your worried about value, buy one a few years used. Your going to take major hit no matter when you buy a new unit.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:11 PM   #20
catch up with the zzzz
Established Member

M.O.C. #23268
I can't say about 2020 prices, but I bought my 2019 3791 20th anniversary edition for 61,400 bought at the end of November. si I think you may have a little more room to negotiate.
catch up with the zzzz is offline   Reply With Quote