Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2020, 04:29 AM   #61
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
“...or if you have Google Earth pro I believe you can use it to do vertical measurements.”

I have google earth pro and it would not let me measure vertical dimensions. Daingit!

Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:19 AM   #62
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barzee View Post
Most marked bridge heights in the US have a leeway of at least 6 inches, some states allow for 12 inches of leeway. You should measure the exact height of your unit to know exactly where you are.
Given the number of bridges and overpasses I have gone under in my life time, it seems many many people have tested that theroy and failed. It would be nice if a county, state, local employee with direct knowledge of this would chime in. We know your out there but just don`t want to get involved, just do an anonymous post.
Don`t worry we won`t sue.

This guy tested your theroy and lost by only a couple of inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motorhome2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	5560  
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #63
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
I would think that finding a bridge that has less clearance than marked is extremely small, you’re probably going to get hit by lighting first. Since semi trailers are built to 13’6” you can bet that any bridge anywhere close to that height gets careful scrutiny. One thing to be very careful of when going under a bridge with low clearance is that you don’t run over any debris that could reduce your clearance.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:59 AM   #64
birdphotos

M.O.C. #23459
That bridge has been there many years. anyone going on the east side of Glacier has to either go under it or you can go around by a few miles. I have done both. if your coming from the east no problem. if you dont want to measure, go around.
birdphotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:33 AM   #65
tidwellfarms

M.O.C. #11315
We stayed at West Glacier KOA in 2018 and really enjoyed it. I recommend changing campgrounds. RVing can be stressful enough without adding these type of unknowns.

David Tidwell
tidwellfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #66
Pat2002
Established Member

M.O.C. #20698
You should be able clear it . Most semi trailers are 13.6. Is your axles turned over ? Mine is 12.5 .
Pat2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:41 PM   #67
Ram2013
Established Member

M.O.C. #23554
Clearance 13 6

I went under that bridge in 2015. Had a 13 6 high Cardinal. It is arched and intimidating but if you stay in the middle of the arch there is plenty of room.
Ram2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:44 PM   #68
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by tidwellfarms View Post
We stayed at West Glacier KOA in 2018 and really enjoyed it. I recommend changing campgrounds. RVing can be stressful enough without adding these type of unknowns.

David Tidwell

We have stayed there before however it is already books all summer for 40'+ It is also a very expensive KOA, This new Park is walking distance to the village the river and short bike ride to the lake.

Location, Location, Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdphotos View Post
That bridge has been there many years. anyone going on the east side of Glacier has to either go under it or you can go around by a few miles. I have done both. if your coming from the east no problem. if you dont want to measure, go around.
That bridge only accesses the Highway to the Sun road which you would NEVER take and 5er/RV over you might be mistaken. The main Road used to go East/West is to the south. The only real commercial that goes under that bridge is for the small village on the other side of the bridge.

What I have done is I bought a Magnetic spring antenna, I will adhere a metal plate to the roof, I Cut the antenna coax/wire off the antenna base and cut the antenna to 1" above the A/C it is located near the front so my wife can look out the sunroof of the truck and see the antenna as I go under bridges, trees and other objects. Being magnetic I can quickly put it on and take off as needed.

Look driving around is an option however a very last option as I have full body paint and the roundabout way is 36 miles of which is 10 miles of washboard/potholed gravel road so it wold be a long 36 miles with potential for paint chips/damage.

My gut tells me I will be fine. I re-measured today with the new truck (2019 Ram 3500) and I got the height down to 13'4.75".

I have already booked the RV park and will get there one way or another
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 05:42 AM   #69
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
When we had IS added in September MORryde guys measured the Montana.
One on the roof with a 6’ level one on the ground with a steel tape.
I had done the same when we bought the camper both times it measured 13’4”
MORryde raised the back 2” so we are now level , made no difference on the front .

On the bridge concern, don’t you think semis go under that bridge everyday to supply the area.
As stated earlier it’s not listed as a restricted road in the Truckers Atlas.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:25 AM   #70
Vermonters
Established Member

M.O.C. #13453
Send a message via AIM to Vermonters Send a message via MSN to Vermonters Send a message via Yahoo to Vermonters
Another Thought

We have 18 wheeler get stuck under bridges often here in Vermont. To free them up often times they take air out of the trailer tires. Then when on the other side they re inflate the tires. Could take 4 inches or so off the height of the trailer. You would have to have a way to re-inflate the tires once you cleared the bridge.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:28 AM   #71
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
This is a pic from the campgrounds website - there is a Montana in the pic! I would say things are looking up! You can do this and let us all know how it went. I have searched several other forums and find no other discussion of this bridge.
Don`t see an Air Conditioner. This is the same unit we had before the new one. It was 12` something to the top of the A/C cause the back sloped down and this is where the A/C was. But if you looked else where and found nothing ( and there certainly would be some kind of warning) It`s just a close shave then, no pun intended, yes it was LOL LOL.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:59 AM   #72
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Look inside that Sundance window. Looks like a whole lotta mess inside.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #73
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I went thru this overpass in Fort Worth the first day we took possession of the unit from the dealership. This was before I knew to be aware of bridge clearances! I had no idea how high the Monte was. I have learned a lot on this forum!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2020-02-11_11-54-28.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	5561  
Old 02-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #74
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMOTraveler View Post

On the bridge concern, don’t you think semis go under that bridge everyday to supply the area.
As stated earlier it’s not listed as a restricted road in the Truckers Atlas.
Hence the questionable concerns as there is really NO commercial traffic needs on the other side of that bridge, just giftshop, restaurant, 1-gas station, tour companies, post office and Forest Service, that is it for commercial access needs, none that require large Semis other then Fuel and those fuel trailers are low profile anyway..

I am likely just fine just a bit nerve-racking with 1 inch clearance a bridge even at slow speed can cause significant damage. Plan for the worst hope for the best.

I now have an early height warning system plan so should be OK.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #75
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
I went thru this overpass in Fort Worth the first day we took possession of the unit from the dealership. This was before I knew to be aware of bridge clearances! I had no idea how high the Monte was. I have learned a lot on this forum!
I would have not even known about or considered this bridge had I not read reviews of others planning to stay at this park last year who also had tall 5th Wheels that showed up not knowing and refused to go under and just turned around and left, That was my red flag moment with this RV park. I also called the park and they admitted they have had some that showed up and refused to try the bridge thus canceling the reservation last second. So the RV park is aware of the height challenge of this bridge also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat2002 View Post
You should be able clear it . Most semi trailers are 13.6. Is your axles turned over ? Mine is 12.5 .
On the 2019's the axels are below from the factory. I could flip however the Hill I go up at Home is so steep (12%) that the transition from the flat to the hill is so aggressive I end up with only 2-3" clearance from scraping the rear hitch receiver (and that is entering the hill at an angle to avoid scraping), in fact I was contemplating a 2" lift however that is now a non starter as I am finding there are too many 13'6" bridges out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermonters View Post
We have 18 wheeler get stuck under bridges often here in Vermont. To free them up often times they take air out of the trailer tires. Then when on the other side they re inflate the tires. Could take 4 inches or so off the height of the trailer. You would have to have a way to re-inflate the tires once you cleared the bridge.
I have Vi-air on board so I have the ability to air down , that is a last resort as I will try aired up first. I also have airbags I can deflate to drop the front a little as well...
Old 02-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #76
Igoo65
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25159
Here in the United States bridges are required to have the height shortened by 12". This is so trailers of similar heights to the bridge can make it under them. It takes in account the height of the road changing due to paving. This is according to the MUTCD. Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Nobody sue me!
Igoo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #77
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igoo65 View Post
Here in the United States bridges are required to have the height shortened by 12". This is so trailers of similar heights to the bridge can make it under them. It takes in account the height of the road changing due to paving. This is according to the MUTCD. Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. Nobody sue me!
Here?
https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/geometri...lclearance.cfm
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 01:13 PM   #78
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igoo65 View Post
I think this may be the rule you are referring to which does not apply to non Highway or Interstate roads

"The adopted criteria provide vertical clearance values for the various highway functional classifications (Table 19). These criteria are set to provide at least a 1-foot differential between the maximum legal vehicle height and the roadway, with additional allowances for future resurfacing. These clearances apply to the entire roadway width (traveled way and shoulders). A formal design exception is required whenever these criteria are not met for the applicable functional classification".

This is not to say there is not any other clarifications. These standards went into play in 1967 so older low clearances would simply avoid this rule by applying for "A design exception is required if this standard is not met"

So unfortunately the rule is not hardened and is subjective and mostly applies to the Highways and Interstates for National Defense purposes.

This Bridge is primarily access for the small West Glacier village with very little commercial access needs other than the Forest and Parks Dept which those entities deal with low bridges all the time and I am sure all their vehicles are well under 13'6".
Old 02-14-2020, 05:18 AM   #79
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The West Glacier bridge was built in 1936.
I love this thread...learning a lot about low clearance bridges.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FC443B3B-34E8-4185-90B3-C1584FDCACD3.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	5591  
Old 02-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #80
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
The West Glacier bridge was built in 1936.
I love this thread...learning a lot about low clearance bridges.
Nice find, thank you, that adds more perspective to the actual clearance statements whereas the new RV park told me specifically there is no grace on the height (not even an inch) they said they verified 3 times during the permit and building process of the RV park that the bridge was indeed 13'6". So the age of the Trestle/bridge suggest that it is not bound by any road compliance..

That may also explain why there is little commercial development on the other side of that bridge...