Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2006, 08:45 AM   #41
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Anyone been out to Oceana or Dam Neck recently to see how they are coming with the expansion and the support buildings at Oceana, etc?

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 04:44 AM   #42
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Pensacola NAS Oak Grove. Now takes reservations. Decent park. We lost power last nite for 2 hours but even our old stick house had that problem and the DC lighting, etc was nice, plus the frig went to gas.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:45 AM   #43
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Am I the only one using this thread?
Old 04-08-2006, 08:28 PM   #44
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Don't think so...I look at it frequently..more folks will probably do so after the travel season kicks in...
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:05 PM   #45
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Nope, I watch it all the time. Just a little hard to comment from the center of "no-where". We come back for R&R on 25 April-24 May. Where is KO4A will be turned on and we will go from Rochester, NY to Eustis, Fl and back in about 20 day. This will be a tow the Hotel/motel trip visiting family.
Tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:30 AM   #46
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great to hear that you'll soon be having your R & R. Hope it all goes well and you have an enjoyable visit with your family.

I read on another site that someone of the retired military persuasion averaged $8.00-$9.00 per night for camping fees by using military campgrounds and Corp of Engineer campgrounds where he used his Golden Age Passport. Sounds frugal, IMHO. Do any of you plan your trips according to the availability of these campgrounds?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 06:30 PM   #47
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Absolutely! I certainly try to plan routes using military CGs, especially if I am enroute from one "area" to another....e.g. Fl to TX.

I spent several weeks at Patrick AFB this past summer while waiting for the Shuttle launch. They are not all in the 9-10 dollar range. We paid $23/night at Navy Seal Beach. A real bargin, I might add ...great place, and the ONLY GAME IN TOWN if you "must" be in the LA area for family or other compelling reasons. Perfect place for an RV during a Disney Land trip.

Davis-Monthan AFB (Tucson) is chock-full all winter. I haven't stayed there because of their "no reservations" policy and have to wait in THEIR dry camping area for many days? week? more? to get in. I would use it if I could wait elsewhere nearby, but we don't like to "dry camp", especially in such a "dry" area...no generator.

In general, military CGs are clean, modern, safe and convenient..plus usually much less expensive than "commercial" ones.

I have used COE campgrounds only once, but that was a very good experience. Near Augusta, GA. Lake Thurmond, as I recall. There is one in KS I will try this Spring...no other place nearby that look good in the TL Directory.

Bottom line..it isn't a matter of "frugal". It is a matter of convenience and good facilities. Less expensive is sometimes a result, but not the main reason.

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 04:01 AM   #48
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We like the 'less expensive' aspect when it is applicable. That's part of the appeal of the COE campgrounds. There isn't one that we don't like, so far. We've gotten along without the sewer connection for ten days, when necessary, using the bathhouse instead. And with our 'old age' discount, that means a campground for $70 a week. Not bad for some of the most beautiful, roomiest sites we've found. Usually they come with a lake view.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:15 AM   #49
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
I like the Military Cg because of security and convenience of support facilities, golf courses, exchange and commissary, etc. More and more are getting WIFI. I intend to at least comment on each military CG as we use it. Back to VB and Oceana in May. Anyone going to be there 28 April for 3+ weeks stop by and say hello. Its the 3400RL with the blue chevy duramax.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:10 AM   #50
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Back at Oceana Naval Station, now called Ocean Pines RV park. Mosy sites have been improved with gravel to prevent flooding out. Rates are 20/day, 120/week, 400/MO. A bit high for a military RV park that is not even finished yet. The bathouse and laundary are not finished yet, ev ery time you ask, they say "tomorrow" in public but a month or more to finish in private. Still the sitea are large and location outside the base on harper's road is good.

Harpers road is very narrow with deep ditches and sharp curves. Suggest you come in from the east (Oceana Blvd.)

Contact Sea Mist (Dam Neck CG) for infor, reservations, etc.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:29 PM   #51
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Davis Monthan AFB Famcamp, Tucson, AZ. Great staff, excellent sites, but no cable or WIFI at sites. We like it here and extended our stay. Showers, Restrooms, Laundaries outstanding.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #52
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Air Force Acadamy Famcamp. Staff outstanding. Restrooms, showers, laundary good. Retirees can get medical attention at emergency room at hospital and can eat in the Prep School Galley.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:47 AM   #53
RailroadMike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5807
I am staying at the AF Famcamp at Nellis AFB in Las Vegas. It is a real nice park with very friendly staff. They just raised the rate to 18 dollars a day. After looking around Vegas this is not a bad deal. There are nicer parks but the cost will keep me out of them. They have about a 120 sites all nice and level and I would guess about half are pull thru's. They have laundry and shower facilities and offer free WIFI. I will be here for at least six more months. Any questions shoot me a e-mail or stop and see Mary and I in spot #78......Mike
RailroadMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 05:48 AM   #54
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Question I have on reading about military campgrounds. Does one have to be a retired vet to gain access or just a veteran who has served a tour of duty or two?
Thanks Jon
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 06:53 AM   #55
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Most require you to be active duty/retired...have an ID card. Also, since 9/11, if your truck does not have a DOD sticker, even with an ID, it's a real paper drill to get on post/base.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 10:04 AM   #56
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Cat is correct. I don't know of any that are open to veterans. You meed a military I.D. to use the FAMCAMPS, either as an activity duty person or a retired person who has spent at least 20 years on active duty or, possibly, been released due to a disability. Not too sure about the technicalities involved in the last situation. If you have access to the commissary and PX/BX, you can use the campgrounds.