Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2010, 09:06 AM   #1
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Passport America renewal

I just renewed my Passport America membership and found I could do a Life Time Membership for the cost of 10 years. I wish I had know it was available before.

So now, anyone that reads this will know.

I am not affiliated with Passport America, just a customer.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Thanks for the information.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Yes, thanks for the information. Planning on joining this week...Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
If it takes 10 years to pay for itself, I don't feel it's any bargain. Who knows what will happen in the next 10 years. I don't know if we will be traveling that much by then. In my opinion, most people would rather pay it out yearly even though it may go up each year.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:58 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
So far, we have been disappointed. Purchased last September, used, not once. Not one night. No place we have stayed has participated. Must be the way we travel or don't travel, combo.

Think we got 2 years, coulda burned the cash I guess.

Yea I know, you all LOVE it, so, tell me, other than health and family issues keeping us grounded for a bit, HOW do you use this thing and not go out of your way while traveling? What are your tricks??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #6
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
We have had camping memberships as part of the perks for buying our last two rigs (travel trailer and Montana fifth wheel) and the membership Camping World offers. Each sounded great on paper and presentation, but unfortunately, we never were able to use any of it...not a single night! Every time we attempted to reserve a site, there was some reason they could not accomodate us. When I am traveling in New England, a night in Texas or Florida does me no good...although, those are very nice places to visit! I have read on the MOC forum of members using their camping memberships and saving big bucks...well, I am all for saving money and wish we could have used the memberships we had. For those who are able to actually use their memberships, I wish you well, but we will just stick with KOA and Good Sam...never had any problem with their reservations.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On the other hand we always get our yearly dues (44.00) back in short order every year, We were pleasantly surprised to get a credit of 30.00 toward next years dues because of 3 referrals and we have no idea of who they were or when we gave them... When on the road we always look a PA first for stops on our route. It is the only group we now belong to. Most of the others give 10% discount and I can get 10% by whining.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I received an email stating they would reimburse me $80, and some change, toward the purchase of a lifetime membership and I would pay $318 and some change.

Now it does not take 10 years to pay it back. let us just supposed that you stay at 20 places, or 20 nights, that regularly charge $40 a night. As a PA member you would pay $20 a night, so your payback would be 20 nights, not 10 years. I'm thinking of doing it and I have 3 days to reply.

As for use: The Northeast and parts of the West/Northwest have fewer PA parks than the South, South East, or South West. I don't go out of my way when traveling, but I do look at the areas I will be going at the on-line PA web site and see if there is something along the route. I would say that on an average trip I can stay at PA sites at least 4 and maybe 6 times. The rest I just don't worry about and use the 10% discount cards, like GS, FMCA, TACO, etc. You can use the PA website to plan a route and include PA RV parks.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #9
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
In my limited experience, those lifetime memberships are offered by companies who are in financial trouble, and need to generate some cash flow. Not saying this is the case here, but be careful.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Being 1000 Trails members, we could not justify the lifetime costs either. I have been a PA member for the last three years and did get some good savings early on but not lately. We will drop them in two months when renewal time. That will leave us Good Sam only. I think our camping will be limited to the left coast and there are plenty of 1000 Trails out here. The clubs are nice when you do a lot of travelling to different areas but I think we are winding down somewhat. I guess the old saying "To each his own" comes into play here.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Getting older so don't know how much longer we will be towing but thanks for the heads up, John, on the yearly rate. When I was younger and earning, we joined C2C and ROD. We also have PA and GS. This past winter we traveled 4 1/2 months from Michigan through the SW of Texas, Arizona, etc and back up through Wyoming, SD etc. Using these campgrounds most of the time, our nightly rate averaged $12.50 for the entire journey. We would plan our route to be near one of our parks whenever we could. It was not always possible but was enough so that we could keep our average cost down. Our only rush is to get out of the snow and ice of early January but then we slow down considerably and may travel anywhere from one hour to a max of four hours. No more "Vacation Mode" for us, which is hurry up, drive far, and come home.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Rich: quote"Most of the others give 10% discount and I can get 10% by whining"
Then there are some who I would give them 50 % just to shut them up. gg
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #13
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

I received an email stating they would reimburse me $80, and some change, toward the purchase of a lifetime membership and I would pay $318 and some change.

Now it does not take 10 years to pay it back. let us just supposed that you stay at 20 places, or 20 nights, that regularly charge $40 a night. As a PA member you would pay $20 a night, so your payback would be 20 nights, not 10 years. I'm thinking of doing it and I have 3 days to reply.

So, if you stay at 20 places, the membership will pay for itself. That still means you are paying for your lifetime membership with the savings. I would rather stay at 20 places and put that savings in my pocket. That is if you can even find 20 places along your route to stay at.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have stayed at 12 places since the first of April. We will reach those 20 places before September 1.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TheCoachPotatoes

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

So, if you stay at 20 places, the membership will pay for itself. That still means you are paying for your lifetime membership with the savings. I would rather stay at 20 places and put that savings in my pocket. That is if you can even find 20 places along your route to stay at.
I'm not real sure on your math, but if you pay full price, you would not have anything to put in your pocket.

And as I stated, a person may not be able to find places on their route. We have been fortunate. Every year that I have been a member I have gotten my money back and then some, with the savings. No, not every where we stopped was a PA. We carry Good Sam, KOAand FMCA membership which are all 10% discount. But it just doesn't hold up to the 50% discount.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #16
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Wayne, I'm with you on this. A friend of mine introduced it to me, and he dearly loves PA. He and his wife told me how much they have saved traveling across country with it. I pulled their web site up and was shocked at the number of camp grounds that honor PA. Now I did notice one camp ground that only honored it on Sunday thru Thursday. That's not a big problem though. Like someone already mentioned, "to each his own." Joe
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:11 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We will probably go with the stated life membership. A good deal for us...No not every C.G is a PA but at 50% off the savings pile up. On a ,long trip no matter where we can find several PA to stay in.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:24 AM   #18
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I recall when we had PA. Found an RV park that took it in Abbeville, LA. Guess where she put us. Right next to the dumpster that they emptied about 4 AM. I'm sure all parks don't have special places for PA customers, but it sure made me wonder.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #19
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Waynem, I'm with you on the savings and yes we are PA members. I just don't think it is that much of a savings having a Lifetime membership. My math is fine. If you are paying off a lifetime membership this year, there is probably no immediate savings for you. If you get the one year, you can pocket the savings this year. We plan to keep renewing as long as we are traveling. If it is a good deal for you, go for it. I was just giving my opinion.

Old 07-15-2010, 04:49 AM   #20
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have used PA parks for several years now and while we don't go out of our way to stay at one, we have always gotten our annual dues back in the first month or so.. Some of the parks we didn't even know they were PA until we were checking in... Now that is a pleasent surprise. As far as lifetime dues, well we are too old to even think about that one.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote