Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
Exhaust During Regeneration

This came up in Dmax forum I joined. Is the exhaust from the tailpipe during regeneration hot enough to damage the fiberglass of the trailer? Has anyone experienced any damage? The second part of the post was: How have you changed your rock guard skirt to keep it from melting because of the high temperature of the exhaust.

MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:36 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the 08 Ford. We have not had a problem and we have changed nothing. I did not think it got that hot. Actual regeneration takes place in the DPF and that does get hot. I am now curious. Next time I see a regen I will shoot the tail pipe temp... Interesting...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:04 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
On our Kenworth and Volvo tractors the exhaust pipe is within inches of our fiberglass air dams and has not been an issue. The DPF is down below the frame though so it has some time to cool before it gets to the outlet of the exhaust pipe. It is my understanding that the regen is confined with the DPF. They do caution us if doing a manual regen while parked not to be parked over grass.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My latest communique from Ford States that the truck should not run at idle during regen,but should be driven until it finishes. It also warns that it should not be driven through grass during regen. I have not experienced and heat damage problems in 36,000 miles on the 2008 F350.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:20 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Roger, I take it from you being on the DMax forum you must have a Chevy or GM, although I could be mistaken. I have a Chevy DMax, '08 and have not had any damage due to regen or notice any additional heat from exhaust, although I am not back there when it does its thing. Just thought you might like to hear from another DMax owner.

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I'm on my second DMax and at no time have I had a problem. Last spring I did install a rock guard. Since than I have put on some 15000+ miles and the rock guard is fine.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Glenn, your 05 Duramax does not go thru the regeneration process.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Stiles..FYI... The latest reflash fom Ford eliminates the regeneration process at idle. You should have received a letter from Ford by now.Had mine done 2 weeks ago.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
So did I, but the attending documentation also stated as I said. In other words, don't stop if regen has started until the regen is finished.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
yes Stiles that part is still stated. I was refering to the regeneraton at Idle part.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
So does my new Dodge go through this regeneration process? I was told the Ford did when I was shopping for trucks, and it was an automatic process.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Roger, I think what they may have been talking about was the original set up on the re-gen systems,a lot of times it was so hot you would sometimes get flames from the tailpipe. I know that ford put a change into the system after the problem arose. I believe thats what led to the first recalls on them. But since then you should not have any problems, but they are covering theirselves in case you set some weeds on fire. remember when catalytic converters first came out,they warned about parking on grass or weeds due to fire hazards.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
All of the new generation diesels 07 and up, 08 for the Fords, have a DPF and go through the regeneration pocess.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #14
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I really got into this subject and have been busy doing research. Here is a summary of my findings.

1. The DPF is found on all diesel road vehicles manufactured since 2007. All require regeneration.
2. There are two types of regeneration. "Passive" created by a catalyst in the exhaust system when the exhaust gases reach approximately 650F which should be no problem during normal highway driving or "Active" which involves a metered amount of fuel being added to the exhaust stroke (GM not sure how Ford and Dodge get the fuel in.)to bring the temperature in the filter up to 1200F.
3 During "Active" regeneration the temperatures at the tailpipe can be as high as 600F in the center of the exhaust gas cone. This temperature is reduced by the vented pipe extension that has a venturi effect caused by the speed of the gases coming out of the exhaust. This draws cool air into the exhaust gas stream.
4. As far as I can tell, all trucks are now produced with or have a ECM reflash available that prevents "Active" regeneration during idle.
5. Active regeneration can use between 1.5 and 3 gallons(US)of fuel.
6. The colder the weather, the longer it takes to get the exhaust gases up to the required temperature. In "Active" regeneration this increases fuel consumption and the time required for regeneration to occur.
7. MDT and HDT are able to activate a manual regeneration at idle. I wouldn't want to close to their exhaust when this was running.

I have searched as many forums as I am able to find and the only RV related damage I have heard about is to the anti-chip skirts. At least one company now makes one (Solid Skirt) with a metal rimmed hole for the tail pipe.

Thanks for the input on this. There is no better school than the shared experience of others.

MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a guage mounted on the dash and among other things we monitor the pre turbo EGT. If I miss the message on the information center I can instantly see the active regeneration by the EGT's increasing by 400/500 degrees.It is not uncommon to see 1000/1200 degree EGT. We will also experience a 4/5 MPG decrease during regeneration which normally will last about 20 mins. These are all solo numbers. Ford uses the same regeneration as GM..I think they are all the same. We do not get a lot of active regenerations as we usualy are above 35MPH solo driving. I can only recall ONE active regeneration while towing the 3400. I am surprised at the possible tail pipe temp of 600 degrees as I have also seen that figure. Next time we regen I am goin to let it run for about 10 mins then stop and shoot the tailpipe temp. We always let the regen run its course which at times will mean driving around aimlessly for 20 mins.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #16
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
On my 2008 Dodge I received a DVD in the owners packet as well as some written instructions. Basically it tells me that if the Overhead indicater says 80% full or more, I need to get on the highway and drive at not less than 50 mph for 30 minutes minimum. During this time an 'active' regeneration takes place. If I slow down below 50 mph the regeneration stops until such time as I go above 50 again for 2 minutes as I recall (it has been awhile since I've watched this thing). I do notice that now that it has gotten colder (originally got the truck last May), I drive (solo) 60 plus miles to Salina and it is just starting to build mpg again so it does take some time and mileage to do this regeneration.

I've never noticed it taking anywhere near this long if I am towing -- feel it has to do with pulling harder (and hotter) than when solo.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have the 6.7L Cummins in a Dodge and have never noticed anything on the trailer fibreglass. The truck has towed this Montana about 18,000 miles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #18
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
We have a 2007 GMC. What is "regen" and how would I know that it's taking place? The tailpipe has a flared extension that appears to cool exhaust gases.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 02:02 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If Gm has a read out on the Msg center it will tell you that."regeneration is in progress" (Ford) Otherwise it is difficult to tell if you are in Regeneration. We have a after market gage that reads pre turbo and there is a huge increase in pre turbo EGT. There is also a slight drop in MPG 2mpg or more. The regeneration on our 08 Ford is pretty much transparent and I would not know it was in progress if I did not see the MSG or saw the high EGT.