Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
mstreeter
Established Member

M.O.C. #8713
Reese 16K Slider hitch

I recently bought a Reese 16K tube slider hitch and had it installed.
One question I have is: How do you lock down the reciever plate so that it doesn't swivel up and down from side to side. I know the up and down motion is important when traveling forward and backward but when going down the road I want my unit not to lean right or left and it seems this would allow way too much of that.
On my old hitch there was a mechanism that allowed the hitch plate to move up and down on each side when parking the unit on uneven sites but I could lock it down when I was hooked up and ready to travel down the road.

Thanks for any assistance
MIke

mstreeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
I just installed an 18k slider and I didn't see any way to lockout the side pivot on the hitch. There is an accessory that can be purchased for some dual pivot hitches. I found one here but can't vouch for it's usage.

http://www.etrailer.com/p-30628.htm
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My Reese 20K hitch has "4" way pivot as you discussed. That takes a lot of stress off the frame of the truck and pin of the trailer.
Let us know what you find.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Actually, I wouldn't want my slider not to roll from side to side when moving. What would happen if the truck were at a tilt to the, say left, and the Montana was at a tilt to the right?
I think I would prefer the hitch to work as it was designed to.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
mstreeter
Established Member

M.O.C. #8713
Wow! Thanks for the quick response to my question.
It makes sense to run it as it was designed. I just didn't know since this was my first 5ver. I can see where the pitch would take a lot of the strain off of the pin and frame.
I have also heard that a spray lubricant disigned for hitches is the way to go as it is not quite as messy.
When I had the hitch installed I wasn't able to pick up the truck until close to closing time so they really weren't able to show me much about the hitch. I thought I could figure most things out but still had a few questions. You all have been a great help.
Hope you have a great rest of the week.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-26-2009, 05:32 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mike are you talking about the pin hitch Monte and the deck on the slider when you asked about the spray lubricant? IF so, yes I use the spray lubricant on the slider but I also have a pad I purchased at Campers World for around the pin on the Monte. I think it is a silicon pad and it slips up over the pin and stays in place up there. There are also silicon pads you can purchase for the hitch pad on the slider also but can't remember where I saw them. I think it was someone here on the website and they even showed a picture of them. Maybe someone will chirp in on this and answer that part also. Good luck and let us know what you decide on the side to side idea!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:03 AM   #7
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
i believe it has to be able to move in all direction.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #8
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Those discs are commonly referred to as slip discs. They work very well and don't have any of the mess of grease or spray.
You will need to keep the slider part lubed with some sort of lube though, as they very easily dry out and bind up. That slider will not move, and you wonder what went wrong. Coule shots of lube and its like new. I keep my bed covered when not hitched up, and it still dries out easily.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:54 AM   #9
goin2themountains
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9063
SlipPlate dry graphite lube works great for me on the square rails of my slider. I believe Reese suggests white lithium grease on the underside of the leaf spring which controls the slide lock mechanism.
goin2themountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:23 AM   #10
mstreeter
Established Member

M.O.C. #8713
Thank you all. I am anxious to hook up and try out the slider.
Have a great RVeekend.
Mike