Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2016, 05:35 AM   #1
skinnyricardo

M.O.C. #18300
Adding a generator

We are recently converters from a toy hauler to a new Montana. We are used to having a built in generator but it seems most fifth wheels don't have one. We have been racking our brains to come up with a solution to carry a portable generator short of having Camping World install a Onan to the tune of $8000.00 plus. We thought about inserting a carrier rack in the hitch at the rear of the fifth wheel and carrying it there. This would be the most convenient due to the electric coming from the rear. Our concern with this idea is that using this hitch would void any warranty from Keystone. Has this issue been address by other Montana Owner and if so what solutions have been discovered to work.
We are looking forward to being MOC friends and would love to make the rally this year.
Thanks, Rick and Cindy

skinnyricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:38 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
On a previous rig, I installed a receptacle on the front of the rig that was equipped with an automatic transfer switch and carried a portable generator in the pickup bed. Built-in generators should be purchased from the factory as they are an option at about half the cost you were quoted from Camping World.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:59 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I did just what Bingo said. Only difference I made my transfer stitch.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Did your rig come with a trailer hitch? Ours did and the weight limit was 250#. As long as the generator and carrier were less than a total of 250# our warranty would still be good.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
I have a 3000 watt Honda Inverter Generator in the back of the truck right behind the cab. It has been there since new in all of my trucks... keep a cover on it when not in use. You can reach over and turn it on with the key or you can buy the remote start kit for around 500 bucks and start it with the remote control.
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 01:28 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Personally, I wouldn't trust the stock hitch to support a case of pop. Either forgo the frame warranty and install dual receivers and build a carry all basket like some have done on the MOC or go with the generator in the bed setup.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #7
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I would say you could get a better price than your first quote. I don't know what model you have but some come already generator prepped. I have seen some pretty good deals on the 5500 Onan new and used but there is still an installation fee. Going with a couple of Honda's etc probably frees up more space and possibly less weight. Probably not quite as covienient unless you are real creative. I got a great deal on mine but as already stated the factory put it in. Look around and get a few more bids and then you can compare built in verse portable and make a decision.

Enjoy your new unit. :-)

Tom Marty
Old 02-20-2016, 05:18 AM   #8
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Had two Yamahas that I sold when putting in solar. Still needed one for S&B backup and the occasional time on the road when we needed air conditioning. Bought a $300 Harbor Freight 3200w/4000w peak one that's been one of the best buys I've ever made. Weighs MUCH less than an inverter 3kw one and I can lift it on and off the truck tail gate by myself. It's almost as quiet as the two Yamaha 2400is ones running in parallel. LOML made a oiled canvas cover for it that works great and hides it well.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:19 AM   #9
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
There is absolutely no way I would trust the stock hitch to carry anything more than a couple of bikes.

I have a custom generator/storage box in my truck and put a transfer switch in the front compartment in my RV, if I want to I can plug it in and run it while traveling although I have not felt the need to do that so far. I have a Honda 3000i generator and carry a 120V compressor in the tool box that can be powered by the generator.

We occasionally have power outages at our S&B and I have rewired my furnace to plug into an outlet rather than hard wired. I can then plug into the generator and maintain heat in the home. If you have heat and water you can live with a candle or other source of lighting. This was a factor in deciding whether to have a built in generator in the RV or one that can be used for many purposes. Also a lot cheaper than a Onan to purchase and to operate. And by the way I reworked the exhaust on the generator so it can be run without taking it out of the box and does not overheat as long as the lid and door are open.

Lots of choices out there for generators just do your research and decide what best suits your all around needs.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
The Erwins
Established Member

M.O.C. #18186
Iripguy that is an awesome setup!

Any overheating issues with the genny fitting so tightly in the box? I have been working on something that would be a generator box/tool chest/aux fuel tank, but would still fit in front of the hitch in my short box
The Erwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:09 AM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Erwins

Iripguy that is an awesome setup!

Any overheating issues with the genny fitting so tightly in the box? I have been working on something that would be a generator box/tool chest/aux fuel tank, but would still fit in front of the hitch in my short box
The way the exhaust and cooling fins work on the Honda I was able to rotate the exhaust grid facing upward rather than down as original, the hot exhaust air then pretty much goes straight up and out of the box, the box gets warm but I have run it for several hours without a heating problem. I also use the generator around my daughters dairy farm to power hand tools where power is not available and I don't want to run a long extension cord.

This setup I would say requires that you have a LB and likely would not work in a SB truck.

Gets used far more for other things than to power the RV.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:32 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a 3KW kipor in the back of the truck .We have found that unless you do a lot of off the grid camping the generator is not needed as it once was a few years ago.In the 10 years we have had the generator we have only used it twice camping both times at Quartzsite. We run it once a month for one hour and we have used it more times at our S&B in a summer storm power outage.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 05:42 AM   #13
The Erwins
Established Member

M.O.C. #18186
Yes the SWB gets me overtime, first one we have owned never realized how beneficial that 8' bed was.

It used to be we used our generator very regularly while travelling cross country, but here lately it seams we are stopping at campgrounds rather then parking lots even when its only going to be for a night.

To the OP another option assuming its smaller Honda units that I have seen is utilizing the factory gen area up front, and fabing up a slide out system to set them on. I would say there would still be a risk of gasses getting into the unit though, through that open hatch.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #14
USNSS
Established Member

M.O.C. #12224
For what it is worth, I posted this when I first finished my generator installation. I run it on the arms outside the compartment so no exhaust issues. Bit of engineering, but an example of what is possible...

you can see from the attachments, I installed a Honda 6500 gas generator in the generator compartment of my 3100. Ordered gen prep and then removed aluminum box to make room. Gen has it's own trolley and comes out and goes in on removable tracks. Have a winch attached to let out and pull in and securing pins for travel. Gen is hooked up to the installed transfer switch and works really well (have had 5500 watts being supplied to the trailer). Also has two steel cables and padlocks to make "borrowers" think twice. May not work for everybody, but works excellent for me especially during 5 week hunting trips in central Idaho dry camping.
Greg

http://i41.tinypic.com/34pgl0n.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/2iiwcgk.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/n16mp5.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/iqcxon.jpg

USNSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:44 PM   #15
The Erwins
Established Member

M.O.C. #18186
USNSS that is a really nice setup!